You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Amazon

TheHowieLama

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I am just not sure that my purchase from an anonymous online (Anybody but Amazon) company translates to a more just tax law for all businesses, much less that any "increase" in tax revenue had anything to do with my local community.

For me, that spirit is only raised by frequenting establishments that have a footprint/presence in my community.

I am probably too selfish to convince myself that buying from an online retailer, paying more and waiting longer is in any  strengthening my community. I do know when I buy bread from the bakery it does.

Smaller businesses are more likely to pay their taxes.  They know that the authorities are more likely to come down hard on smaller businesses, whereas with Amazon governments just turn a blind eye. 

Community can mean more than traditional things like visiting independent shops regularly in a physical sense.  The same kind of spirit can be fostered with an online community. 

Edit -Fuckin sausage fingers

The closest I have felt to an "on line community" is the gaggle of cunts that prowl this board.

I almost feel like, economically, that is the opposite of what we are hoping for tbh. And that is coming from a guy who wore a TLW Biscan shirt for a season.

In this conversation physical location is tantamount.

1 hour ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Heard a few comments about (not) judging people who use Amazon. What is there to be judgemental about? I mean, do other people check out the history of local businesses and business owners before using them? Do you know for sure they’ve always treated their employees fairly? Do you know if they declare every cash sale? I generally want an item, look for the item, but the item, and move on. Am I meant to feel guilty about getting the best deal now? If I want a new part for my PC, do I have to go into town to a shop that might not be there next week, pay extra, and then get fucked if something goes wrong, lest I be judged on the Internet. 

Tesco, Amazon, Apple... all those cunts. They’ll get away with what they’re allowed to get away with. It’s the governments that let them go too far that’s the issue. It’s not some fella getting a good deal and good service on a set of drill bits that’s the issue. They need to be regulated but allowed to breathe. They can have huge profits AND be forced to pay their taxes and treat their staff less like livestock. 

But sports fucking direct? 

41 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Edit -Fuckin sausage fingers

The closest I have felt to an "on line community" is the gaggle of cunts that prowl this board.

I almost feel like, economically, that is the opposite of what we are hoping for tbh. And that is coming from a guy who wore a TLW Biscan shirt for a season.

In this conversation physical location is tantamount.

Well you're the one who asked how people are supposed to compete. The answer is they won't unless people use Amazon less.

The issues with Amazon are to do with regulation and taxation. It’s up to government to resolve both those failings. Why would a company whose sole purpose is to make money not do everything it can within the law to do so? And why would customers not spend their money where the overall package (cost, service, value, range, etc) Is far superior to every other option? Fair competition, taxation and working conditions should not be dependent upon moral and ethical interpretations by both customers and businesses of what is permitted under the law. Amazon is a product of rampant capitalism, the pace of change in a technological revolution and weak government. 

• Upvote 6

32 minutes ago, Paul said:

The issues with Amazon are to do with regulation and taxation. It’s up to government to resolve both those failings. Why would a company whose sole purpose is to make money not do everything it can within the law to do so? And why would customers not spend their money where the overall package (cost, service, value, range, etc) Is far superior to every other option? Fair competition, taxation and working conditions should not be dependent upon moral and ethical interpretations by both customers and businesses of what is permitted under the law. Amazon is a product of rampant capitalism, the pace of change in a technological revolution and weak government. 

I agree to a certain extent but we don't have to rely entirely on government.  The consumer has a lot of power, more so if acting collectively.  

Sometimes I think it's too easy to abdicate responsibility and say "hey, the government can sort that one out" - whilst knowing for certain that they won't.

10 minutes ago, TK421 said:

I agree to a certain extent but we don't have to rely entirely on government.  The consumer has a lot of power, more so if acting collectively.  

Sometimes I think it's too easy to abdicate responsibility and say "hey, the government can sort that one out" - whilst knowing for certain that they won't.

When it comes to an international company like Amazon, I think the collective power of the consumer can only get you so far, especially when you consider that the vast majority of those who use amazon seem to love the service. I think your views on workers rights, tax collection etc are exactly right. I just think the way to sort the issue isn’t by convincing people to pay more, get less, get it later, and probably have more hassle if something goes wrong. I think government is the only way forward. It’s the same with Social Media. 

3 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

When it comes to an international company like Amazon, I think the collective power of the consumer can only get you so far, especially when you consider that the vast majority of those who use amazon seem to love the service. I think your views on workers rights, tax collection etc are exactly right. I just think the way to sort the issue isn’t by convincing people to pay more, get less, get it later, and probably have more hassle if something goes wrong. I think government is the only way forward. It’s the same with Social Media. 

Is the political will there?  Is it ever likely to be?  I don't think so and in the absence of it there has to be another way.  Look at how long they've been getting away with it for, on a downward spiral when it comes to workers rights, tax and all of the other negative things they are associated with. 

9 minutes ago, TK421 said:

Is the political will there?  Is it ever likely to be?  I don't think so and in the absence of it there has to be another way.  Look at how long they've been getting away with it for, on a downward spiral when it comes to workers rights, tax and all of the other negative things they are associated with. 

That’s a fair point, although I think it’s far easier to sway the political discourse than it is to stop people plucking the golden fruit. 

1 minute ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

That’s a fair point, although I think it’s far easier to sway the political discourse than it is to stop people plucking the golden fruit. 

If enough people acted it would make a difference.  The goal doesn't have to be wiping Amazon out, it could just be about making them a better company in terms of paying tax or protecting their workers.  

As Liverpool fans we know more than most about collective action when you consider the u-turns made by FSG on several occasions.  

I buy from Amazon every few months.

They can ship me out a giant tub of (smooth) peanut butter three bucks cheaper than my local store. The virus has meant my local store has shut down their bulk-buy section, so I use Amazon to buy raisins and flax seed as well. Their green tea makes an affordable every-day alternative to the expensive stuff I buy from e-bay. 

I console myself with the knowledge that the fellow that owns my local store owns half the province already--everything from billboards to car dealerships to TV stations to sawmills--and he does so in part by paying his employees (in my local store and elsewhere) low wages, and keeps them all part time so he doesn't have to provide benefits.

I bet the only thing that gives him an erection now is looking at Amazon's business model, the cheap prick.

1 minute ago, polymerpunkah said:

They can ship me out a giant tub of (smooth) peanut butter three bucks cheaper than my local store. The virus has meant my local store has shut down their bulk-buy section, so I use Amazon to buy raisin and flax seed as well. Their green tea makes an affordable every-day alternative to the expensive stuff I buy from e-bay. 

I console myself with the knowledge that the fellow that owns my local store owns half the province already--everything from billboards to car dealerships to TV stations to sawmills--and he does so in part by paying his employees (in my local store and elsewhere) low wages, and keeps them all part time so he doesn't have to provide benefits.

I bet the only thing that gives him an erection now is looking at Amazon's business model, the cheap prick.

What an absurd post.  Nobody eats smooth peanut butter.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, polymerpunkah said:

They can ship me out a giant tub of (smooth) peanut butter three bucks cheaper than my local store. The virus has meant my local store has shut down their bulk-buy section, so I use Amazon to buy raisin and flax seed as well. Their green tea makes an affordable every-day alternative to the expensive stuff I buy from e-bay. 

Fuck me whats his name? Brad Wesley? 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, TK421 said:

What an absurd post.  Nobody eats smooth peanut butter.

If I wanted to eat peanuts, I'd eat peanuts. 

When you buy a pound of butter, do you expect to find little chunks of cheese in it?

5 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Fuck me whats his name? Brad Wesley? 

Jim Pattison, and he really is like a small-town movie villain: he's got a financial interest in all sorts of companies, and when he talks the government listens.

11 minutes ago, polymerpunkah said:

They can ship me out a giant tub of (smooth) peanut butter three bucks cheaper than my local store. The virus has meant my local store has shut down their bulk-buy section, so I use Amazon to buy raisins and flax seed as well. Their green tea makes an affordable every-day alternative to the expensive stuff I buy from e-bay. 

I hope you order bog roll as well.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mook said:

I try to avoid using them wherever possible now, if it means paying an extra couple of quid & waiting a few days, so be it.

I spent the best part of 20 years either living on or shopping on the road with the most independent businesses in the UK. 

You wouldn’t always get the very cheapest prices but you would still get bargains, you had speciality shops you wouldn’t find anywhere else in the city/region and the area had a great feel to it. 

People appreciate it, support it and want to protect and save it. There were even riots when Tesco were allowed to open an extra store on Gloucester Rd. 

If you don’t use small, local, independent businesses then you can’t complain when there aren’t any left. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, lifetime fan said:

There has to be a limit though. 

At what point does a quid cheaper/a day earlier justify using them over a less cuntish company? 

There's definitely a limit. I mean, I wouldn't use Hitler over Jesus to save 10 pence. I would use Amazon, who I need more information about how horrific they are in 2020 before shitting the bed, over going to the shop or using some small retailer online if it means a significant longterm set of savings. In fact, I might even pay MORE at Amazon over smaller retailers, and have done, because if I ever have an issue, Amazon just give me my money back on the spot. No argument, no issue, just done. That means a lot to me as a consumer. Unless they're flogging children to death in their workhouses, I'm probably okay with gradual improvement. 

17 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

There's definitely a limit. I mean, I wouldn't use Hitler over Jesus to save 10 pence. I would use Amazon, who I need more information about how horrific they are in 2020 before shitting the bed, over going to the shop or using some small retailer online if it means a significant longterm set of savings. In fact, I might even pay MORE at Amazon over smaller retailers, and have done, because if I ever have an issue, Amazon just give me my money back on the spot. No argument, no issue, just done. That means a lot to me as a consumer. Unless they're flogging children to death in their workhouses, I'm probably okay with gradual improvement. 

Google "Amazon working conditions" and click on the news tab.  There's a never ending list of articles about how bad it is.