You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Amazon

TheHowieLama

9 minutes ago, TK421 said:

If everyone did it then smaller businesses would thrive, there would be increased competition and that would drive prices down.

Not sure that is the case - the local hardware/appliance/kitchen gadget store would get what - 12 blenders a year? And they would have to have some kind of stock and floor presence for that right?

Just now, TheHowieLama said:

Not sure that is the case - the local hardware/appliance/kitchen gadget store would get what - 12 blenders a year? And they would have to have some kind of stock and floor presence for that right?

Not if they sold online. Amazon doesn't own the internet. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TK421 said:

Not if they sold online. Amazon doesn't own the internet. 

So I find someone local - on the internet?

1 minute ago, Mook said:

I try to avoid using them wherever possible now, if it means paying an extra couple of quid & waiting a few days, so be it.

What do you consider a local source?

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

They're shite compared to what they used to be. They used to be cheaper than most places with free delivery and products that had guaranteed quality, now when you search for stuff, nine times out of ten it's 'sponsored' and sold via amazon but fulfilled by Ken Hom's world of fung. 

That's the problem with these behemoths, they strangle rivals like jungle, play and HMV and then when they eventually become the only game in town they put your scrotum through a wringer. 

Play.com? You can't have too much sympathy for them either as they used to do what Amazon do now, largely because they were based in Jersey and took advantage of a tax loophole to undercut high street rivals.

3 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

We've bought SO much shit from them since lockdown. Some of it necessary due to shops being shut, mostly due to next day convenience though. 

Their Prime Now service where you can get it dropped off to you in 60 minutes or so... it’s unreal. 

42 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

What happens when everyone switches to the little guy?

Wonderful things.  Everyone would pay their fair share of tax, for starters.  And some employees at the smaller places might even be treated well. Who knows, there might even be a sense of community.  Remember that?

While I admire the notion, I am not sure there is any sense of community in an action/ slogan that is "Anyone but Amazon." And even more unsure that would result in any noticeably different tax outcome to me locally. I pay the same sales tax regardless of who the vendor is.

There is however benefit to buying from local sources who provide good products. In cash.

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

While I admire the notion, I am not sure there is any sense of community in an action/ slogan that is "Anyone but Amazon." And even more unsure that would result in any noticeably different tax outcome to me locally. I pay the same sales tax regardless of who the vendor is.

There is however benefit to buying from local sources who provide good products. In cash.

Amazon is the only game in town most often, I use them and wouldn't judge anyone for using them.  

It's funny though how people who love the free market talk about increased choice for the consumer, which is bollocks.

I think back even 15/20 years and you had Dixons, Currys, Comet for electricals (plus a few others I can't remember) and now it's just currys.

Used to have index and argos now it's just argos, used to be Dillons and Waterstones now it's just Waterstones. 

Back in the 90s most town centres looked at least somewhat different. A mate would ask you where you bought your shirt and you'd say it was in a shop in wherever. Now they'd recognise it as being from next and would probably own at least three themselves. Tremendous consumer craic.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

What do you consider a local source?

I didn't mention anything about 'local'.

I try to use independent retailers where I can, which can be very tricky these days. I wouldn't really judge anyone else for using Amazon, I did it myself for years & still do once in a blue moon.

• Upvote 1

Heard a few comments about (not) judging people who use Amazon. What is there to be judgemental about? I mean, do other people check out the history of local businesses and business owners before using them? Do you know for sure they’ve always treated their employees fairly? Do you know if they declare every cash sale? I generally want an item, look for the item, but the item, and move on. Am I meant to feel guilty about getting the best deal now? If I want a new part for my PC, do I have to go into town to a shop that might not be there next week, pay extra, and then get fucked if something goes wrong, lest I be judged on the Internet. 

Tesco, Amazon, Apple... all those cunts. They’ll get away with what they’re allowed to get away with. It’s the governments that let them go too far that’s the issue. It’s not some fella getting a good deal and good service on a set of drill bits that’s the issue. They need to be regulated but allowed to breathe. They can have huge profits AND be forced to pay their taxes and treat their staff less like livestock. 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Tax on the companies selling, not by the buyer. 

Community spirit would spring from people building relationships with smaller businesses instead of a soulless corporate giant. 

4 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

@Mook

Yea, see that now - I do think there is a mindset of Buy Local that drives this conversation.

So you make a choice to pay more and wait longer as long as it is not Amazon? 

Not judgin, asking.

Yes, I do make those decisions now.

I'm talking about £3 extra for a CD & 3 or 4 days added on to the wait. I'm not exactly putting myself out.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, TK421 said:

Tax on the companies selling, not by the buyer. 

Community spirit would spring from people building relationships with smaller businesses instead of a soulless corporate giant. 

I am just not sure that my purchase from an anonymous online (Anybody but Amazon) company translates to a more just tax law for all businesses, much less that any "increase" in tax revenue had anything to do with my local community.

For me, that spirit is only raised by frequenting establishments that have a footprint/presence in my community.

I am probably too selfish to convince myself that buying from an online retailer, paying more and waiting longer is in any  strengthening my community. I do know when I buy bread from the bakery it does.

11 minutes ago, Mook said:

Yes, I do make those decisions now.

I'm talking about £3 extra for a CD & 3 or 4 days added on to the wait. I'm not exactly putting myself out.

Don't sell yourself short - if you are willing to pay an extra three on a CD that costs say 15 you are taxing yourself 20%, and waiting longer for the privilege.

If you are walking into some fellas shop that you think is cool that is one thing - otherwise it seems a little abstract for me. Or if you are buying directly from an artist's trust after his death, it would make sense.

To choose an alternate "anonymous" on line retailer for the sake of it...