You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Amazon

TheHowieLama

10 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Searched to find a thread on these - there was not one.

Probably should be one. 

I ordered a pasta maker at 5:00 pm my time yesterday - it appeared on my doorstep now @11:00 am.

What kind of Houdini shit is that?

How is anyone supposed to compete?

There is no pasta maker. Welcome to The Matrix.

21 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Probably should be one. 

I ordered a pasta maker at 5:00 pm my time yesterday - it appeared on my doorstep now @11:00 am.

What kind of Houdini shit is that?

How is anyone supposed to compete?

Never mind the pasta maker, what did you have for breakfast? 

• Upvote 1

I think it’s up to the customer to reassess their needs/wants.

Do I need it by 11.00am tomorrow or can I wait a few days?

Am I comfortable to pay a little more if it means fair competition, particularly for small local businesses?

Should I be purchasing from an organisation with suspect working practices and a desire to avoid paying tax at the level they ethically/morally should?

Not judging, I use Amazon all the time but I’m trying to use them less. It’s hard though when they’re so convenient and often cheaper than anyone else.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Didn't search very hard, then, did you.

But yes, they are rapid. Ordered Bossk and Luke Skywalker on 17th May, they arrived on the 18th.

Shoot - searched Amazon and did not see anything. 

Fuckin hell, I have even posted in it:

https://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/index.php?/forums/topic/112750-amazon-prime/&tab=comments#comment-5136556

I shop local all the time for stuff that in my locality is top notch. Not sure going to the local source for a Waring Blender (and assuming that spurce is a "local proprietor"), waiting a week longer and paying more is the answer to a strong local economy. Buying my honey and vegetables from Helen helps though.

19 minutes ago, TK421 said:

To give the little guy a chance. To stop giving Jeff Bezos money. To make a stand against horrible workplace practices faced by Amazon employees.  

But this is the nature of a monopoly: it becomes almost impossible for people to do what you’re suggesting due to the monopoly’s power. I can see them being broken up within the next ten years. They’re unhealthily big; in Rockerfella territory. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Shoot - searched Amazon and did not see anything. 

Fuckin hell, I have even posted in it:

https://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/index.php?/forums/topic/112750-amazon-prime/&tab=comments#comment-5136556

I shop local all the time for stuff that in my locality is top notch. Not sure going to the local source for a Waring Blender (than assuming that is a "proprietor"), waiting a week longer and paying more is the answer to a strong local economy. 

If you bumped the amazon prime thread you wouldn't have been able to make the right impact. The other one is too focused on Bezos himself. 

You did the right thing. 

They're shite compared to what they used to be. They used to be cheaper than most places with free delivery and products that had guaranteed quality, now when you search for stuff, nine times out of ten it's 'sponsored' and sold via amazon but fulfilled by Ken Hom's world of fung. 

That's the problem with these behemoths, they strangle rivals like jungle, play and HMV and then when they eventually become the only game in town they put your scrotum through a wringer. 

1 minute ago, Paul said:

But this is the nature of a monopoly: it becomes almost impossible for people to do what you’re suggesting due to the monopoly’s power. I can see them being broken up within the next ten years. They’re unhealthily big; in Rockerfella territory. 

Not saying it's easy but there's usually an alternative to using Amazon. 

2 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

They're shite compared to what they used to be. They used to be cheaper than most places with free delivery and products that has guaranteed quality, now when you search for stuff, nine times out of ten it's 'sponsored' and sold via amazon but fulfilled by Ken Hom's world of fung. 

That's the problem with these behemoths, they strangle rivals like jungle, play and HMV and then when they eventually become the only game in town they put your scrotum through a wringer. 

I get free shipping and returns on everything and I can filter the products re: the brand and origin.

They are almost always the cheapest.

1 minute ago, TK421 said:

Not saying it's easy but there's usually an alternative to using Amazon. 

If you accept that in many cases you are going to pay more and it will take longer I agree.

I never like using them and still get stuff from smaller stores at times but it's harder when the post is slow due to what's going on and my brother has amazon prime that I can just log into to get orders.

It'll take some serious effort for them to stop being so dominant though like has already been said. They're in google/windows territory now with no real rivals anywhere near them for a lot of what they do.

There are a number of things I hate about Amazon, but by far the main thing is the culture of people that expect next day delivery on literally everything!

A woman placed an order with the company I work for on Wednesday last week for a 17.5 x 8 foot shed, sent us an email on Friday to say that she hadn't received it or had any tracking and she couldn't understand why?

I emailed her to advise that there is a 4-5 week lead time on these items at the moment, and she hit the roof!

She intermediately requested to cancel the delivery and had a go at us and said she should have ordered it on Amazon prime as she would have had it by now!

I sent her a link to the product on Amazon and advised that we use the exact same supplier, so have the exact same lead time, the only difference is Amazon will charge her £600.00 more for the privilege.  

33 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

If you accept that in many cases you are going to pay more and it will take longer I agree.

If everyone did it then smaller businesses would thrive, there would be increased competition and that would drive prices down.

By using Amazon, everyone loses apart from Bezos. 

9 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

There are a number of things I hate about Amazon, but by far the main thing is the culture of people that expect next day delivery on literally everything!

A woman placed an order with the company I work for on Wednesday last week for a 17.5 x 8 foot shed, sent us an email on Friday to say that she hadn't received it or had any tracking and she couldn't understand why?

I emailed her to advise that there is a 4-5 week lead time on these items at the moment, and she hit the roof!

She intermediately requested to cancel the delivery and had a go at us and said she should have ordered it on Amazon prime as she would have had it by now!

I sent her a link to the product on Amazon and advised that we use the exact same supplier, so have the exact same lead time, the only difference is Amazon will charge her £600.00 more for the privilege.  

What did she do?