You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Report: Werner transfer takes another step closer to fruition 

TLW

I like Traore, but clubs wanting to buy him now have missed the boat. He was a really smart target when he was at Boro and available for 20m. Now he's not worth the money. 

Werner makes more sense for 50-60m. You're buying immediate and proven production.  Whether we're gonna be slinging that money in an uncertain financial time remains to be seen, though. I doubt it. We'll probably buy Werner but at some point down the line, rather than this summer. Sancho and Havertz were probably already seen as too expensive before. Now they're probably not even being considered. 

7 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Personally having never seen him play I think he's shite. If we don't sign him FSG are a fucking disgrace, if we do sign him I find it underwhelming.

I'm with you on this, never seen him play and he's shite. Then I read he scored a hat trick, fuck me sign him now.

Yanks in or out? Not decided yet

22 hours ago, Aw Geez said:

Firmino dropping into no 10 spot?

If we get him I really hope we line up like this a few times:

TAA ---- Gomez ----- VVD ------Robbo

Hendo/Ox/Keita--------Fabinho/Gini/Milner

Salah-----------Bobby---------------Mané

Werner

Hendo, Gini, Minamino and Keita could probably spell Bobby there if need be. Minamino for either wing as well, Shaq if he's still around can help out on the right. Divock on the left or up top, Bobby could play the lone ST role but I think that's when we'd use the 4-3-3 instead as I don't think it's going to go away, and it doesn't need to either. Bobby essentially plays a hybrid role in the 4-3-3 as it is so I don't think it changes his game at all, if anything he might be more effective if him and Werner develop an understanding. I don't think Salah or Mané would have any problems starting a little deeper. We'd arguably be even better defensively. Talk about controlling a game. I don't see too many teams in the world able to keep up with that side if it clicks right.

14 hours ago, andyj said:

before this covid thing i could see Salah leaving this year having won the CL and with the PL pretty much in the bag  but not now 

I think Mane is/was much more likely to leave.  Salah has made a move to a "big club" (yes, it's Chelsea, but they'd won the CL only 2 years previous) and have it all go wrong, so I think he'll be more wary of moving when he's on to a really good thing already.  Mane though might see this as his only chance to play for Real or Barca (that's still a thing isn't it)

2 hours ago, Saintslfc13 said:

If we get him I really hope we line up like this a few times:

TAA ---- Gomez ----- VVD ------Robbo

Hendo/Ox/Keita--------Fabinho/Gini/Milner

Salah-----------Bobby---------------Mané

Werner

Hendo, Gini, Minamino and Keita could probably spell Bobby there if need be. Minamino for either wing as well, Shaq if he's still around can help out on the right. Divock on the left or up top, Bobby could play the lone ST role but I think that's when we'd use the 4-3-3 instead as I don't think it's going to go away, and it doesn't need to either. Bobby essentially plays a hybrid role in the 4-3-3 as it is so I don't think it changes his game at all, if anything he might be more effective if him and Werner develop an understanding. I don't think Salah or Mané would have any problems starting a little deeper. We'd arguably be even better defensively. Talk about controlling a game. I don't see too many teams in the world able to keep up with that side if it clicks right.

That’s way too many players, mate. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Not arsed abut Traore. I think Werner will be here sooner or later and one of Sancho or Havertz. Hopefully the latter. 

Yeah Werner the necessity (must look up and see if afcon cancelled )but havertz the luxury I would love to have. He could shape our future Werner needed now 

I can’t see us not signing him.  He’s clearly desperate to come here and it appears Klopp fancies it as well.  We play so many games we could easily rotate 3 spots among 4 players and actually try and win the cups.  We’ve seen the front 3 go through periods of the season when they start flagging so I don’t think it would be a difficult sell to them either.  I can’t see us dropping to a 4231 much to be honest but the option is there obviously.  I just think it will really effect the full backs and how the team functions generally.

I don’t know if you watch us much but we have one player who sits in the middle and the other 2 midfielders tend to cover for the full backs which allows them to get forward a lot and get more assists than most wingers.

If we suddenly changed the dynamics of the midfield we would have two players to cover the middle of the pitch and the full backs.  It could lead to either the full back areas getting exposed or the middle of the pitch being overloaded.  When we’ve won more games than anyone ever at this point in a season in the league you would think he might not want to change the system we play.  He’s also played this system in the vast majority of games since he arrived.

7 minutes ago, The Guest said:

I don’t know if you watch us much but we have one player who sits in the middle and the other 2 midfielders tend to cover for the full backs which allows them to get forward a lot and get more assists than most wingers.

If we suddenly changed the dynamics of the midfield we would have two players to cover the middle of the pitch and the full backs.  It could lead to either the full back areas getting exposed or the middle of the pitch being overloaded.  When we’ve won more games than anyone ever at this point in a season in the league you would think he might not want to change the system we play.  He’s also played this system in the vast majority of games since he arrived.

Seen as I was a season ticket holder up until last year I would say I watch us a bit. We have played 4231 a few times if Firmino were the one to drop deep it is basically a 433 he drops deep now it would be flexible and without the ball can be 451 pressing or not. Our fullback areas are regularly exposed anyway with a ball over the top mate. 

11 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Seen as I was a season ticket holder up until last year I would say I watch us a bit. We have played 4231 a few times if Firmino were the one to drop deep it is basically a 433 he drops deep now it would be flexible and without the ball can be 451 pressing or not. Our fullback areas are regularly exposed anyway with a ball over the top mate. 

I’m guessing you’re one of them fellas that goes for about 5 pisses and gets off with about 10 mins left.  Firmino dropping deep does not suddenly make the system the same.  I feel like I could explain all this to you but it wouldn’t go in anyway so I’m not going to bother

1 minute ago, The Guest said:

I’m guessing you’re one of them fellas that goes for about 5 pisses and gets off with about 10 mins left.  Firmino dropping deep does not suddenly make the system the same.  I feel like I could explain all this to you but it wouldn’t go in anyway so I’m not going to bother

You’re a bit of an enigma mate thanks for letting me off so lightly