You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

UEFA Cup/Europa League Draft Final

Lee909

Pick a winner  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Pick 1

• aRdja
    • John 102
    • Elite
    • No2
    • Bjornebye
    • Alex

14 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

The difference is most of them performed at the top level. Hagi best performance come in Romania and Turkey. He stepped up at times for Romania but he was far to often a lazy bastard you got over praised because a few of his long range shits went in. It's like everyone calling Roberto Carlos a good freekick taker cause he scored the odd one 

Comparing Hagi and Cantona, Rui Costa, Effenburg is nuts. They all regularly performed. Even Riquelme and Gazza stepped up far more

Rui Costa didn’t really do much at Milan did he?

With Effenberg, he didn’t play enough for the NT, as he was behind the likes of Möller, Haßler and Scholl. For a man of his ability I fell that he underachieved.

Effenburg performed at every level he played at. His personality clashed at national level and Germany had plenty of other great midfielders. But in the Bundesliga team of the year 7 times, UEFA club player of the year, euro 9w team of the tournament tells its story

Rui Costa was nearly 30 by the time he moved to Milan and Kaka was in his way. 

Guest Alex_K

Better than Rui Costa .. probably on their best days. Effenberg? Very different players, but Effenberg had a more significant career. The '01 Bayern team that he was the real dynamite of beat United home and away (Cole, Yorke, Keane, Scholes, Beckham, Giggs, Stam team) and also Real Madrid home and away (Figo, Makelele, Roberto Carlos, Raul Hiero etc.) in knockout on the way to winning the CL in 01 for example. He really was a force back then in a superb team.

Lee makes a good point about his less-than-spectacular Eurpean club record .. relegated with Brescia straight from leaving Real Madrid for example isn't a good look.

27 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Hagi was better than Effenberg and Rui Costa. To suggest anything else is fucking mental. 

Maybe more natural talent but his career isn't close to either. A luxery player who couldn't make it with a big side. Big fish small pond in Romania and Turkey. 

36 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Other than Liverpool the 00's wasn't much better ! 

I think the 00's was easier because I recognised the players. Maybe older players would have find the 80's easier but most of us that play are in our 30's.

9 hours ago, John102 said:

travesty that such a poorly constructed runner up ended up winning.

Good to reminisce about some old teams though and read up on some players didnt know.

I could have easily gone with a standard 433 but that went against the principal of what I wanted. The current Liverpool side line up on paper as 433 but in reality Robertson is on the half way line, Trent is 20 yards further up, Mo is virtually a centre forward and so on. Line them up on paper in real positions and the formation will look "wind swept", I was brave enough to do it.

1810722_Dream_Team.jpg

2 hours ago, No2 said:

I could have easily gone with a standard 433 but that went against the principal of what I wanted. The current Liverpool side line up on paper as 433 but in reality Robertson is on the half way line, Trent is 20 yards further up, Mo is virtually a centre forward and so on. Line them up on paper in real positions and the formation will look "wind swept", I was brave enough to do it.

1810722_Dream_Team.jpg

Surely we set our teams up based on players’ starting positions not average positions. 

• Upvote 2