You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Poetry

Elite

Not big into poetry as a rule, but I did write a lockdown haiku about one of my best mates recently. He's called Nick and we all still take the piss 30 years on about how he wore school shoes under his PE kit for a time, and later had to bear the shame of owning Nicks trainers; "Nick's Nicks". Never gets bored of it, does Nick.

It's about early family outings during his horribly depressing, culture-less childhood, being dragged up in the midlands.

---

'Picnics by power stations'

Nick picnics, in Nicks

The power station looms large

Spam, chips and cancer

---

He really liked it, when I put it in our What's App group the other Saturday.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Dr Nowt said:

Not big into poetry as a rule, but I did write a lockdown haiku about one of my best mates recently. He's called Nick and we all still take the piss 30 years on about how he wore school shoes under his PE kit for a time, and later had to bear the shame of owning Nicks trainers; "Nick's Nicks". Never gets bored of it, does Nick.

It's about early family outings during his horribly depressing, culture-less childhood, being dragged up in the midlands.

---

Nick picnics, in Nicks

Spam, chips and cancer

---

I like it. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Dr Nowt said:

---

Nick picnics, in Nicks

Spam, chips and cancer

---

Not bad, drags on a bit though.

• Upvote 1

Buoyed by the success of my previous haiku, I have ventured further into blistering commentary on current affairs.

Last night, a mate said his 14 year old nephew was writing Maddie McCann poems. I set myself two minutes max to write a Maddie-themed haiku. No more than 120 seconds later, this important piece of culture had been published. On What’s App.

‘Patatas bravas’

Fuck, tapas again
Dad always comes back early
Hope mum checks the boot

(5-7-5)

• Upvote 5

On 23/05/2020 at 14:27, Elite said:

My poems end up boring as fuck though. What sort of triggers do you use to evoke emotion from the reader?

There was a young lady from Nantucket....loads of stuff to inspire you there.

Or to slightly plagiarise a war poet 'Boom,boom,boom,boom'

But Why No Face Masks?

By TK41

"Test, test, test" at the WHO's behest

Daily briefings and all the rest

Shielding loved ones in the family nest

But why no face masks?

High inoculums and viral loads

It came from pangolins, bats or toads?

Cummings driving down the longest of roads

But why no face masks?

Polybasic furin cleavage sites

Protestors fighting for their rights

Curfews for the city nights

But why no face masks?

Hydroxychloriquine, Remdesivir

Panic! Panic! The end is near!

Petrol pump prices not so dear

But why no face masks?

(C) 2020

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, polymerpunkah said:

Blood red

Skin shed

Not dead

Arbutus

Are beauteous

My one and only poem.

I tried to get it published. 

They told me to go climb a tree.

Philistines.

Not gonna lie, I thought about it for a while, I really tried to see your side, but they were right, sorry.

Dont be sad, just look at it as somewhere you don’t need to place your energies anymore, or a place that doesn’t bring hurt your way.