You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Random Football Observations.

Woodison has always been a shit ground. From the day when they had those semi circular barriers behind the goals, put there because everton fans had been lobbing items at goalkeepers and defenders during games, dont you know, to the shit little manager's 'huts' either side of the tunnel to the absolutely piss poor 'terracing' at the Park End that meant you was no more than an inch higher than the terracing in front of you.

When we beat Chelsea in the Champions League semi-final in 07, Geremi was so tired he was walking like that ‘The Mummy’ impression Ali used to do to mock Foreman.

I’d already done it up and down my mate’s lounge once during extra-time, and as soon as he stepped up to take a penalty started doing it cheering wildly as I instantly just knew he’d miss.

Great era, that.

5 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

When I watch games I am constantly amazed by the consistency of the average professional footballer's first touch, and by their spectacularly shit decision making.

It's the way they pluck a long diagonal pass out of the air and control it instantly, as if that's a normal thing to do.  It happens loads of times in every game and it gets me every time.

43 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

It's the way they pluck a long diagonal pass out of the air and control it instantly, as if that's a normal thing to do.  It happens loads of times in every game and it gets me every time.

At the highest level of all sport what separates the great and the good is usually mental. 

There are probably a few dozen players, maybe more, that could pass the ball as well or at least almost as well as Xavi. However they'd be prone to having a crack from 35 yards with three defenders standing in front of them almost certain to block their shot. Or they'd attempt a hollywood switch of play to no effect. 

It's obviously not quite the highest level, but I sometimes play 5 aside with a guy who played La Segunda B. He controls the ball with the point of his knee better than any of us do with the side of our foot. However, a few times a game you can see why he played Segunda B rather than in the Champions League when he does something phenomenally dim. 

Same with Alistair Cook in cricket. He basically only had four shots but made about three poor decisions when batting in a decade of test cricket. 

21 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

At the highest level of all sport what separates the great and the good is usually mental. 

There are probably a few dozen players, maybe more, that could pass the ball as well or at least almost as well as Xavi. However they'd be prone to having a crack from 35 yards with three defenders standing in front of them almost certain to block their shot. Or they'd attempt a hollywood switch of play to no effect. 

It's obviously not quite the highest level, but I sometimes play 5 aside with a guy who played La Segunda B. He controls the ball with the point of his knee better than any of us do with the side of our foot. However, a few times a game you can see why he played Segunda B rather than in the Champions League when he does something phenomenally dim. 

Same with Alistair Cook in cricket. He basically only had four shots but made about three poor decisions when batting in a decade of test cricket. 

Nudge off the pads

Square cut when a spinner dropped it short

Occasional pull shot

What was the other one?

I haven't seen (or noticed) a Rainham Steel advertising hoarding for a while. Always used to see them when a British team or England are playing some obscure European side away. 

They might still be there. I might be immune to it all now. I don't know.