You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What's the best tv who-dun-it ?

4 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

I've never heard of Foyle's War and that is very highly rated. Sounds boss...

It is 1940 and Britain stands almost alone against the might of Nazi Germany across the continent. The terrors of nightly bombing raids are only matched by the fear and hysteria of the population at the prospect of the seemingly inevitable German invasion. It is in this environment that Detective Chief Superintendent Christopher Foyle, of the Hastings Police on the south coast of England, works. Denied a transfer to the war effort, Foyle is nonetheless forced to confront the darkest acts of humanity on a daily basis. With his official driver, Sam, and his subordinate, Paul Milner, Foyle investigates murders, looting and theft, crimes of opportunism, crimes of war, crimes of passion and crimes of greed, because crime isn't stopped because of warfare.

Its a good premise that but it looks a bit dated in the repeats. A modern interpretation with a good cast and budget would be interesting.

3 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

I've never heard of Foyle's War and that is very highly rated. Sounds boss...

It is 1940 and Britain stands almost alone against the might of Nazi Germany across the continent. The terrors of nightly bombing raids are only matched by the fear and hysteria of the population at the prospect of the seemingly inevitable German invasion. It is in this environment that Detective Chief Superintendent Christopher Foyle, of the Hastings Police on the south coast of England, works. Denied a transfer to the war effort, Foyle is nonetheless forced to confront the darkest acts of humanity on a daily basis. With his official driver, Sam, and his subordinate, Paul Milner, Foyle investigates murders, looting and theft, crimes of opportunism, crimes of war, crimes of passion and crimes of greed, because crime isn't stopped because of warfare.

Foykes War was good I thought, one of the few I'd give a watch, I dont think they made many and some filmed in Liverpool, they did use a particular house for one episode. 

In one his car is great, blue with gold wheel spokes thought can't remember the name. They must of borrowed it from a collector. 

1 minute ago, easytoslip said:

Foykes War was good I thought, one of the few I'd give a watch, I dont think they made many and some filmed in Liverpool, they did use a particular house for one episode. 

In one his car is great, blue with gold wheel spokes thought can't remember the name. They must of borrowed it from a collector. 

It looks like there were 8 series of 4 episodes each.

3 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

It looks like there were 8 series of 4 episodes each.

That many? Every time it's on its seems like I've seen it before, though I'll still watch it if it had been some time, I must of missed a few then. 

Michael Kitchen is good in it, and usually a good cast too though one had Danny Ballbag in it and to be honest he wasn't too bad though I grumbled it to myself. 

8 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

How many of these suggestions are proper who dun it head scratchers though? Not flipping boshed with your regular copper drama series, that's an entirely different thing altogether AFAIAC.

Only one way to find out...it should say Foyles War, not Foykes War.

On 19/05/2020 at 21:20, Carvalho Diablo said:

Yeh yeh, I know True Detective series 1 was top notch but what about other detective / murder series?

A big deal for me is that all the clues needed to solve the crime must be on screen, no colossal leaps of faith or outrageous, non-sensical and illogical deductions. It's got to be fair.

Which series satisfy that criteria, which are the best?

I just started an Apple produced show called Defending Jacob. You may want to check it out.

On 20/05/2020 at 11:45, Bellflower said:

The Mark Williams BBC series.............

Just started watching these and I love them. He’s going someway to restore the Catholic Churches terrible reputation with his amateur sleuthing.

Been enjoying Wallander. Not great but enjoyable.

I had to make do with the Branagh version, struggled to find streams for the original. What's struck me as much as anything though is just what a shit fucking actor he is. A mumbling, bumbling, stumbling fuck, and the rest of the Swedish coppers are just as bad (especially that curly haired foppish ponce).

12 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Been enjoying Wallander. Not great but enjoyable.

I had to make do with the Branagh version, struggled to find streams for the original. What's struck me as much as anything though is just what a shit fucking actor he is. A mumbling, bumbling, stumbling fuck, and the rest of the Swedish coppers are just as bad (especially that curly haired foppish ponce).

You are missing the best version. My friend watched the original through torrents.

On 19/05/2020 at 21:35, stringvest said:

yeah, you should -  they're really good.  Watch the Kenneth Branagh version though, he's a great actor and it's better than the local version.  It's an evolving sub plot, so you need to watch them in order.  

Not having that , the original was excellent 

• Upvote 1