You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What's the best tv who-dun-it ?

31 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

A mate from work said exactly that. Might have a look.

It's lighthearted tosh but watchable enough. The murders are cleverly done and as often as not you don't know who done it until the formulaic reveal at the end.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Inspector Morse.

What is the spin off called? Is it Lewis?

There's also Taggart. And there's one on itv on a Sunday evening now and I think it's got the woman off of duty free on it? If this isn't true I might have to get more sleep.

It's called Vera and she wasn't in duty free. Fuck.

2 hours ago, aws said:

Death in Paradise. Not great television but the Who-dun-it level is high. 

Lots of locked room mysteries. The fish out of water English detective in the Caribbean premise started ok with Ben Miller but has just got sillier with successive detectives. Can't handle the sun but doesn't have the brains to wear a hat but solves impenetrable mysteries.

4 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

What is the spin off called? Is it Lewis?

There's also Taggart. And there's one on itv on a Sunday evening now and I think it's got the woman off of duty free on it? If this isn't true I might have to get more sleep.

Endeavour is great too. 

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke
13 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Yeh yeh, I know True Detective series 1 was top notch but what about other detective / murder series?

A big deal for me is that all the clues needed to solve the crime must be on screen, no colossal leaps of faith or outrageous, non-sensical and illogical deductions. It's got to be fair.

Which series satisfy that criteria, which are the best?

I used to love 'Cracker' when it was on. 'A Touch of Frost' was also good. 

12 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I tried to watch it with Branagh but found it awful. He is ok but the support cast were pretty poor to be honest. And all speaking in English in Ystad seemed a bit silly to me.

yeah, I think the English speaking but Swedish typing is a bit Marmite - I actually like it, it's an interesting quirk.  I'm glad that they resisted the temptation to relocate it, I think that gloomy bit of Southern Sweden is the perfect setting.  

I've never heard of Foyle's War and that is very highly rated. Sounds boss...

It is 1940 and Britain stands almost alone against the might of Nazi Germany across the continent. The terrors of nightly bombing raids are only matched by the fear and hysteria of the population at the prospect of the seemingly inevitable German invasion. It is in this environment that Detective Chief Superintendent Christopher Foyle, of the Hastings Police on the south coast of England, works. Denied a transfer to the war effort, Foyle is nonetheless forced to confront the darkest acts of humanity on a daily basis. With his official driver, Sam, and his subordinate, Paul Milner, Foyle investigates murders, looting and theft, crimes of opportunism, crimes of war, crimes of passion and crimes of greed, because crime isn't stopped because of warfare.