Quantcast
On this day... - Page 2 - FF - Football Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
1892-LFCWasBorn

On this day...

Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

 

Why Xabi took the pen.

I watched the trailer for that xabi and Carra chat and had never known it was his first penalty in senior football. Bloody hell. Always loved the lad, but that makes me love him just a little bit more

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stickman said:

Always pisses me off a bit that this one tends to get slightly overlooked now

 

 

Not by me. If anything, I probably love this match more than the Istanbul one.

 

Mad that 4 of our European Cup wins were boring finals, but the two played on 25th May were classic matches that bear repeated viewing.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Not by me. If anything, I probably love this match more than the Istanbul one.

 

Mad that 4 of our European Cup wins were boring finals, but the two played on 25th May were classic matches that bear repeated viewing.

Mad that we had 4(let that sink in!) boring games and 2 classic games. Four plus two makes six European Cup wins,no wonder we are so famous.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

I watched the trailer for that xabi and Carra chat and had never known it was his first penalty in senior football. Bloody hell. Always loved the lad, but that makes me love him just a little bit more

Just watched that one at the end of the match, In My Life, the night it was on, and a bit of a watery eye as it was that night, men of all ages became boys of the same age, but a bit more poignant now as 4 of those lads have since split the scene. 

A night to remember that. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That whole day was beyond strange. Full-on party in the plane on the way out to Istanbul, stony silence on the way back with people trying to process what they'd just experienced.

 

That airport was bizarre too, and not entirely pleasant with no food or even water left anywhere. And just a few years into the security-hysteria that followed 9/11, I got back on the plane without once being asked for either my boarding card or passport.

 

As for the game itself, Kaka was absolutely sensational before Hamann was brought on for him. Even in the pits of despair, I remember admiring the different level that he was on in that opening 45. What a footballer he was (Kaka, though Didi had his uses too).

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Vector Sigma said:

To this day I've never found out if Shevchenko blasted the ball into the net or high over the bar after Dudek's save.

 

It really bugs me for no apparent reason.

He blasts it into the net. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Vector Sigma said:

To this day I've never found out if Shevchenko blasted the ball into the net or high over the bar after Dudek's save.

 

It really bugs me for no apparent reason.

 

8 minutes ago, Madrid Diecinueve said:

He blasts it into the net. 

Does he? I've watched the replay many times and it looks to me like he skied it. Obviously I wasnt in the stadium though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dockers_strike said:

 

Does he? I've watched the replay many times and it looks to me like he skied it. Obviously I wasnt in the stadium though.

I have seen another camera angle from the opposite side of the stadium. Defo scores, but can’t find the clip. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched this in O'Neills in town. I had a season ticket at the time but didn't sign up for the Euro scheme this year (or in 2007) as it was my last year of uni and, as a part time student, my lectures were on a Tuesday and Wednesday night (same in 2007 for my post-graduate course). 

 

My surviving memories of this are the lad in the bogs at half-time taking all sorts of (friendly) stick for telling everyone to stop sulking as we were still going to win it. Thankfully, he was right. Would've bought him a pint if I saw him again, but didn't. 

 

And then, after the game, my brother's mate, who came to the pub even though he's not a big footie fan, trying to chat up a bird who was wearing our shirt. She said something like "isn't Benitez amazing though?" and this lad replies "yeah, he played well tonight!" 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We got out the pub about 2.00 am, got picked up about 6. 00 am for work in Bournemouth and we had to pick this Polish lad up, a red, our labourer and I don't think he had a harder pat on the back, we only went and done mate. 

Good job I had dark safety glasses on too as I nearly had tears every time I relived the night before, soft lad

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

That Milan team is ridiculous. So many of them had a good claim to be the world's best in their position.

 

The same can't be said for the Reds.

Honestly one of the best teams to ever walk onto a football pitch together. 

Ancelotti as manager too. 

 

I still have no idea. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Might have put this on here before,  but watched the Istanbul one in the Standard in West Derby Village and a when Milan's third goal went in, a bluenose standing in the doorway jumped up and knocked himself unconscious on the lintel and was in his gores of blood .The paramedics were still there looking after him when Xabi's penalty follow-up went in.Would love to have heard his response when he was told the score.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Might have put this on here before,  but watched the Istanbul one in the Standard in West Derby Village and a when Milan's third goal went in, a bluenose standing in the doorway jumped up and knocked himself unconscious on the lintel and was in his gores of blood .The paramedics were still there looking after him when Xabi's penalty follow-up went in.Would love to have heard his response when he was told the score.

Hahahaha West Derby village my arse. Or do you mean The Sefton? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Hahahaha West Derby village my arse. Or do you mean The Sefton? 

 

I always thought of the Standard as an extended part of the Village when I lived there,  but I know what you mean it's a bit away from the Sefton and Barry's etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I furiously took the dog out at half time during the Istanbul match. Lost track of time (wasn't that arsed since I knew we'd lost) then heard a radio blaring from the local shop saying " vital save from dudek" i ran in wondering how can a save be vital when your 3 down at start of the second half lad in shop told me 3-3. That dog never moved faster to get home 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's still a mystery how that Milan side ballsed it up, just as it remains a mystery how our inconsistent squad managed to go all the way. That's one of the finest Milan starting XIs in the history of the game (and they've had a few), and one of the top managers. To be fair, barring that spell where we scored 3 goals, Milan were the superior side and we rode our luck. As an attacking unit, we didn't really get going at all. Shevchenko was excellent but just couldn't beat Dudek. That double save in extra time might well be the moment where Milan's heads went, and where our lads must really have started to believe our name was on the trophy.

 

The euphoria of that night and the following night's parade is a feeling you want to capture in a bottle, because it was something truly special. As a fan, I haven't had that feeling before or since. Alaves 2001 was extraordinary. Madrid 2019 was wonderful. This year's league campaign has been exceptional even though external circumstances have delayed the almost certain march to a first league title for 30 years. To be able to feel like that on May 25th and (May 26th) 2005 after witnessing the first 45 minutes is the very definition of plumbing the pits of despair before rising above into clouds of jubilation. I can guarantee that every red had a massive and irremovable smile on their face for the rest of that week at least.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Not by me. If anything, I probably love this match more than the Istanbul one.

 

Mad that 4 of our European Cup wins were boring finals, but the two played on 25th May were classic matches that bear repeated viewing.

Monday 23 may in Sportsman in town before doing the train journey, "we're on our way to Roma" one of the best songs thought up. Back Friday and complimentary tickets for Tommy Smiths testimonial. 

What a week. At 25p for a bottle of wine in Rome it was easy to see how so many slept through the game.

My best mate still thanks me now after running him round a fountain to sober him up, he chose wine.

Oh, saw the colleseum as we went past on a bus.

Train journey back and everyone was buying soft drinks, fools!

I bought lager, knew it would be a long journey.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolute mental day.  Flew in on a rip off Flight Options flight - delayed because some cunt couldn't get on the plane in time.  Moody stewardness as I was drinking some whisky miniatures I'd brought with me - "you gonna throw me off" was my less than stellar response.  Perving over Turkish women on the bus into town.  Drinking warm Efes in the square.  Mad dash to the ground.   Fell asleep after the second goal (leathered).  Scottish guy wakes me up and they score a third.  Stumble around at half time trying to find some booze - obviously no luck.  Go for a piss in the bogs (latrines) and have to break up a fight between a some wools and a scouser.  Seeing a fella go arse over tit down the gangway at the first goal.  Then see him stagger back up.  Then see him go down again when Smicer scored.  Knowing Xabi would miss the pen, but ecstatic he got the rebound.  Can't remember much else till full time when everyone just piled down the front on the netting on the front rows (why was that there?!)  Remember the bus back to the airport and there was a Japanese Milan fan , tbf no abuse was given, although it must have been hell being on there.  Stumnling around that tent wit no food and no mozze.  Free for all one the flights started taking off.  Great day/

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, sir roger said:

Might have put this on here before,  but watched the Istanbul one in the Standard in West Derby Village and a when Milan's third goal went in, a bluenose standing in the doorway jumped up and knocked himself unconscious on the lintel and was in his gores of blood .The paramedics were still there looking after him when Xabi's penalty follow-up went in.Would love to have heard his response when he was told the score.

Yep, cab from Nogsy, Standard in the village please mate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Red_or_Dead said:

Absolute mental day.  Flew in on a rip off Flight Options flight - delayed because some cunt couldn't get on the plane in time.  Moody stewardness as I was drinking some whisky miniatures I'd brought with me - "you gonna throw me off" was my less than stellar response.  Perving over Turkish women on the bus into town.  Drinking warm Efes in the square.  Mad dash to the ground.   Fell asleep after the second goal (leathered).  Scottish guy wakes me up and they score a third.  Stumble around at half time trying to find some booze - obviously no luck.  Go for a piss in the bogs (latrines) and have to break up a fight between a some wools and a scouser.  Seeing a fella go arse over tit down the gangway at the first goal.  Then see him stagger back up.  Then see him go down again when Smicer scored.  Knowing Xabi would miss the pen, but ecstatic he got the rebound.  Can't remember much else till full time when everyone just piled down the front on the netting on the front rows (why was that there?!)  Remember the bus back to the airport and there was a Japanese Milan fan , tbf no abuse was given, although it must have been hell being on there.  Stumnling around that tent wit no food and no mozze.  Free for all one the flights started taking off.  Great day/

 

 

Ha ha, trying to find booze? Remember texting my mate to bring some lager as we got told alcohol free only at ground. Prick didn't so I had to share mine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×