You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

On this day...

Went to all three finals. Missed Robbie Fowler’s goal in the League Cup Final because I was having a poo.

Got so drunk in the Alt Markt in Dortmund that I barely remembered any of the goals the following day. Had my photo taken with Erik Meijer (now sadly lost). His mate had a big bottle of alcohol, can’t remember what it was, and poured some down my throat. I started choking on the stuff and he said, “I thought the English could drink?!”

• Upvote 6

Had agreat 2 nights in Dortie. Although Id got a ticket on spec, I never thought Id get over there because all the flights and ferries were booked. The lads I go the game with had booked a car, ferry and hotel well before me so had no place for me.

Fortunately for me, one lad had to drop out so I was able to take his place. We drove down to Stansted, flew to Belgium, picked up a self drive and drove to Dortie. First night we headed into town, had some scoff in O Neill's then around town for beers. Have to say reds were everywhere, well behaved and there was no hassle whatsoever. The German people were very friendly, it was almost like Dortmund were in the final such was their support.

Day of the game it pissed it down. We went back to the town centre to get more food and drinks. And still it pissed down. There was a bit of a concern the game might be postponed. Doctor Fun was there, plenty of singing and there was this bird in one of the surrounding flats looking on.

Some scallies got her to come down and walked her around the fans in a liverpool shirt, she got a massive cheer.

Most Alaves fans didnt turn up until around midday, I think they were amazed there were so many reds there. They were a friendly bunch and offered us wine but the grain and the grape dont mix well so I politely declined the roja. This is how football should be, not all this violence and hatered shite.

The Westfallon is a massive stadium. It doesnt win any architectural awards but that's how it should be. It is a football ground.

The game was over after about 15 minutes or so when we went 2-0. Just give us the trophy now I remember thinking. I cant remember how the scoreline went but we got pegged back. Westerveld through the whole game was utter, utter shite. Fucking Jordi Cryuff, smallest player on the pitch outleaped him to nod in number 4 equaliser in the last few minutes. Unbelievable. I had thought it game over when God put us 4-3 in the lead right in front of us.

The game seemed to be heading for pens when a free kick to us down the other end was awarded with what must have been a few minutes left. I just saw the net bulge. Lad next to me asked if it was an OG? Said I didnt know but as it was a golden goal, it was game over.

One of my best memories was at the end of the game and we saluted the Alaves players. Alaves, Alaves! boomed out from the hordes of reds in the stadium. There might have been a bit of relief in that but also recognition their players had given their all.

Back into the town centre for celebratory drinks, what a great time!

• Upvote 6

We stayed in Düsseldorf (one of my favourite European cities) and caught the train to Dortmund. A sports shop in Dortmund had a rail of day-glo, 90s Nike kits that they were selling for peanuts. I bought this one but ended up swapping with an Alaves fan for his commemorative final shirt.

dortmund-94-home-alt_2_2_1_1_1_1_1_3_2_1

knt_9238.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Managed to get a ticket through work we are owned by Germans so flew to Dusseldorf on the day of the game from Manchester got picked up at the airport by someone who worked at the German arm of the company .

We were ferried all round that part of Germany by this guy can't remember his name at all we had Lunch at a restaurant by the Rhine in Cologne all on the company then made our way to the ground the Westfalion is a proper football ground bumped into a lad I hadn't seen in years underneath the stands from my town .

The game was weird never felt comfortable at all even at 2 nil , was right behind Gary Mac as he floated the cross in for the winner great seat by the way still have the cushion that they gave us at the HQ of the company in Germany.

We got dropped off at the Airport for the 1st flight back on the Thursday morning managed to get a few hours kip at the Airport all in all a great couple of days away .

We definitely took our foot of the gas after half time, much like we did against Sevilla in Basel. The difference was that we had a 3-1 rather than a 1-0 lead at half time in Dortmund, and we had far fewer flaky players in the side. Alaves made a defensive change in the first half, replacing a centre back with a forward. It made them better immediately not only because that sub scored their first goal, but because we were tearing them to shreds before that. I can't remember us being that cohesive and dominant in a final.

We've been linked to a Brazilian teenager called Telles Magno. I remember the name of a player called Magno from ages ago and wondered if they were related. It seems that they aren't, but the older Magno played for Alaves against us, and he's the one who got red-carded for clattering Babbel.

On 16/05/2020 at 12:39, Tony Moanero said:

Also recall dashing into Maccies for a shit, dropping my guts, running out of toilet paper, using my boxies and trying to flush them down the bog. A cleaner, a middle-aged woman, walked in on me and proceeded to twat me round the head with her mop.

Which toy did you have with your happy meal Tone ?

1 hour ago, Leyton388 said:

What a year that was. Got these framed and on the wall in mine. 

20200517_150251.jpg

I turned down tickets for all 3 finals cause I’m a dick.

league cup, I just didn’t think I could afford it so I made my excuses.

fa cup final, I had a tough exam on the Monday which I had to revise for, so I tuned that down too. So while my mates were travelling to Cardiff and back, I started drinking at midday, got letterhead and spent practically all of Sunday hungover, while those lads were fresh as daisies.

then Alavés, there really wasn’t any option. An exam the day before, on the day, and two the day after meant it was never possible.

great season though. Went to every home match in all competitions which is probably the only season I’ve done so.

5 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

I turned down tickets for all 3 finals cause I’m a dick.

league cup, I just didn’t think I could afford it so I made my excuses.

fa cup final, I had a tough exam on the Monday which I had to revise for, so I tuned that down too. So while my mates were travelling to Cardiff and back, I started drinking at midday, got letterhead and spent practically all of Sunday hungover, while those lads were fresh as daisies.

then Alavés, there really wasn’t any option. An exam the day before, on the day, and two the day after meant it was never possible.

great season though. Went to every home match in all competitions which is probably the only season I’ve done so.

Did you pass the exam though.