You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Obscene!

Spy Bee

23 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Oh, I was rather hoping you'd provide an alternate word which would enable me to make my point.

If someone said Earth was 700 million miles from the Sun, and I pointed out it was only 93 million miles, I don't think you would have an issue with the use of the word "only" there. A very strange double standard.

Hmm...

I feel I should apologise for my strange double standards, because the real-life me said something that's inconsistent with something that your pretend hypothetical version of me said.

19 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

I think the article I read said that the tax dodging, shit wage paying cunt already has more personal wealth than the 173 poorest nations in the world have in GDP combined.

He's got so much money that governments are afraid to take a tough stance iro Amazon's scandalous tax avoidance.

It is amazing to me that any company should be allowed to grow so vast and so dominant.

Forget you poor immigrants and those people dependant on benefits, it's people like Bezos who are the cause of so much misery amongst the poor and working classes.

Capitalism is broken, trickle down economics does not work. How many Rolexs of Bentleys or private helicopters does this bloke need ? How many people are clinging on to life sleeping on the streets? How many hospitals could 0.1% of his fortune buy?

I think it was John Oliver who tellingly rounded off a report on the appalling wages and conditions in Amazon warehouses with a clip of Bezos saying he wants to get into space exploration, because he's got so much money he can't think of anything else to do with it.

3 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Hmm...

I feel I should apologise for my strange double standards, because the real-life me said something that's inconsistent with something that your pretend hypothetical version of me said.

You suggested I was stretching the word "only" to its breaking point by referring to only one-seventh of a trillion dollars. I don't think you would have said that if I was talking about (for instance) Alpha Centauri only being 4.37 light years from Earth.

I read somewhere recently that the richest families in Florence 1427 are still the same richest families today after nearly 600 years. Mad that when you think about changes in politics and society you'd have to back the right side a lot of times or maybe back both.

I've nothing against wealth if your immensely rich but pay and treat employees well like human beings then good luck to you. I'd increase inheritance tax hugely on huge sums. Spend it while you live or lose it.

11 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

You don't need to pretend a 95% tax rate -- just do a flat tax of 15-20% but you now, actually collect it.

This is a good point, 20% of £1million is better than 95% of nothing.

I think we need a new forum, something like the 'Arguing with Strontium Dog' forum. It seems to happen more than arguing about former managers and that got it's own forum.

1 minute ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

I think we need a new forum, something like the 'Arguing with Strontium Dog' forum. It seems to happen more than arguing about former managers and that got it's own forum.

please god no

1 hour ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

"About to become" is over-egging the pudding a bit. His net worth is an estimated $143bn, so he's only one-seventh of the way to being a trillionaire.

A few media outlets are running this. It's based on assumptions which, if correct, would have him reach this milestone by 2026.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tech/amazons-jeff-bezos-track-become-22025642.amp

It may not happen, and pedantry aside, he possesses far more than anyone would ever need. Just as sad an indictment is the fact that there are many who defend the system that allows it.

8 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

You suggested I was stretching the word "only" to its breaking point by referring to only one-seventh of a trillion dollars. I don't think you would have said that if I was talking about (for instance) Alpha Centauri only being 4.37 light years from Earth.

I'm not responsible for what you think I would say in some hypothetical circumstance you've just made up; I certainly don't have to make any effort to be consistent with whatever goes on in your head.

Let's try this hypothetical.  Let's suppose someone accused Jeremy Corbyn of hiding evidence on 700 anti-Semitism cases; would you leap up to point out that it was "only" 100?  Or would you admit that 100 cases - like $143 billion - is a fuck of a lot?

2 minutes ago, Rushies tash said:

A few media outlets are running this. It's based on assumptions which, if correct, would have him reach this milestone by 2026.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tech/amazons-jeff-bezos-track-become-22025642.amp

It may not happen, and pedantry aside, he possesses far more than anyone would ever need. Just as sad an indictment is the fact that there are many who defend the system that allows it.

In that case, I look forward to bumping this thread in 2026.

4 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I'm not responsible for what you think I would say in some hypothetical circumstance you've just made up; I certainly don't have to make any effort to be consistent with whatever goes on in your head.

Let's try this hypothetical.  Let's suppose someone accused Jeremy Corbyn of hiding evidence on 700 anti-Semitism cases; would you leap up to point out that it was "only" 100?  Or would you admit that 100 cases - like $143 billion - is a fuck of a lot?

I think everyone has a responsibility to be consistent as far as is humanly possible. I don't want to labour the point though, so am happy to leave it there.

On your second paragraph, I would have absolutely no issue with the use of the word "only" in that context. I don't see "only 100, not 700" and "a fuck of a lot" as being mutually exclusive. Only an idiot would argue that $143bn wasn't a fuck load of wealth. If I'm pointing out that $143bn isn't $1tn, it's only because I value accuracy, not because I think $143bn isn't a lot of money.

7 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

The key point is that the entire premise is on reaching the notable unprecedented round number of 1 trillion. Hes been rich as fuck for ages. £143 million isn't the round number behind the reason for this article/thread, and in fact is far off it. "Only" is relative. In this case relationship is between the headline figure of 1 trillion his current worth of £143 million.

Side note: Whats with "Steve"?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Aw Geez said:

The key point is that the entire premise is on reaching the notable unprecedented round number of 1 trillion. Hes been rich as fuck for ages. £143 million isn't the round number behind the reason for this article/thread, and in fact is far off it. "Only" is relative. In this case relationship is between the headline figure of 1 trillion his current worth of £143 million.

Side note: Whats with "Steve"?

Maybe it's a false identity ruse. Steve Gates often uses it too.

2 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I think everyone has a responsibility to be consistent as far as is humanly possible. I don't want to labour the point though, so am happy to leave it there.

Can you at least concede that everyone has a responsibility to be consistent in what they themselves say - and that there's no responsibility to be consistent with some hypothetical scenario that some bloke they've never met has just invented?

And if you do concede that, will you concede that you were talking poo when you suggested I was showing double standards?

31 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Can you at least concede that everyone has a responsibility to be consistent in what they themselves say - and that there's no responsibility to be consistent with some hypothetical scenario that some bloke they've never met has just invented?

And if you do concede that, will you concede that you were talking poo when you suggested I was showing double standards?

Can you concede that you're probably not going to get the concession you want?

Is Steve Bezos actually earning that money or is his wealth largely in Amazapple stock which has been going up and down pretty madly recently? Do you tax him 99% every time the shares go up until the government owns his company or what?  

19 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Is Steve Bezos actually earning that money or is his wealth largely in Amazapple stock which has been going up and down pretty madly recently? Do you tax him 99% every time the shares go up until the government owns his company or what?  

Steve/Jeff isn't "earning" it in any meaningful sense: those fluctuations in stock market values happen largely irrespective of how many hours he puts in.

The Government doesn't get to own the shares, so would never get to own the company.  The way wealth taxes tend to work is that a person's wealth is valued once a year and they are billed for a percentage above a certain threshold.  (To use the numbers in my speculative punt, Steve/Jeff would get a letter saying "Your assets are valued at $143 biilion - you owe us 99% of $142 billion."  The numbers are extreme, but the point is he would still be an extremely wealthy man after paying his taxes, even at an outrageously high tax rate.)