You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Obscene!

Spy Bee

25 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

"About to become" is over-egging the pudding a bit. His net worth is an estimated $143bn, so he's only one-seventh of the way to being a trillionaire.

You're thinking of Jeff.

So it's only $195,000 per day then. I wouldn't get out of bed for that!

• Upvote 1

Part of the problem is that people can't really conceive of these figures.  We use phrases like "millionaires and billionaires" as if they're much of a muchness - as if Dejan Lovren is in the same category as Elon Musk.

A million seconds is about 11 and a half days.

A billion seconds is about 31 years and 8 months.

143 billion seconds is about 4,531 years and 4 months.

If you suggest some "radical" tax plans - like, say, 99% on everything above the first 100 million - people react as if it's horrendously unfair, because they can't help thinking how they would be affected by a 99% tax rate.  In truth, that sort of taxation would still leave the very rich people very rich, but it could generate enough income to provide decent healthcare, education, housing, infrastructure, etc.

• Upvote 9

1 minute ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Part of the problem is that people can't really conceive of these figures.  We use phrases like "millionaires and billionaires" as if they're much of a muchness - as if Dejan Lovren is in the same category as Elon Musk.

If you suggest some "radical" tax plans - like, say, 99% on everything above the first 100 million - people react as if it's horrendously unfair, because they can't help thinking how they would be affected by a 99% tax rate.  In truth, that sort of taxation would still leave the very rich people very rich, but it could generate enough income to provide decent healthcare, education, housing, infrastructure, etc.

Well said. And stop it with the common sense.

4 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Vote+Mal+Eat+Pal.jpg

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Steve Bezos is about to become a trillionaire. That means that if you earned $1,300,000 per day, since the day Jesus died, he would have more money than you!

Never heard of the cunt.

It's disgusting. Shameless. Something like three men in the states have the same amount of wealth in the states as the poorest 50 million.

That's why the west is fucked. Imagine if those billions were flowing into working people's pockets? They'd be buying homes, cars, have some savings, what they bought would keep other people employed and on and on it would go. Instead, people are growing tomatoes in the ruins of burned out buildings in Detroit. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

If we applied a 99% tax rate he would still be a billionaire. 

Just now, AngryofTuebrook said:

None.

"Jeff Bezos has 1/7 of a trillion dollars" makes sense (as a sentence - not as an economic fact).

Oh, I was rather hoping you'd provide an alternate word which would enable me to make my point.

If someone said Earth was 700 million miles from the Sun, and I pointed out it was only 93 million miles, I don't think you would have an issue with the use of the word "only" there. A very strange double standard.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Spy Bee said:

Steve Bezos is about to become a trillionaire. That means that if you earned $1,300,000 per day, since the day Jesus died, he would have more money than you!

I have no real, rational, comment to make about this other than it’s a sad reflection on the world that we live in that somebody can be worth that much while millions live in poverty.

That you refused to use his proper first name is a positive reflection on you though. You’ve stuck it to the man big time.

• Upvote 1

I think the article I read said that the tax dodging, shit wage paying cunt already has more personal wealth than the 173 poorest nations in the world have in GDP combined.

He's got so much money that governments are afraid to take a tough stance iro Amazon's scandalous tax avoidance.

It is amazing to me that any company should be allowed to grow so vast and so dominant.

Forget you poor immigrants and those people dependant on benefits, it's people like Bezos who are the cause of so much misery amongst the poor and working classes.

Capitalism is broken, trickle down economics does not work. How many Rolexs of Bentleys or private helicopters does this bloke need ? How many people are clinging on to life sleeping on the streets? How many hospitals could 0.1% of his fortune buy?

• Upvote 2