You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gloves

I thought about asking this question on the Coronavirus thread but I have a feeling that this is going to become quite a big deal in the near future. Therefore I feel it deserves it's own thread.

I'm hearing that when I am able to work again (bear in mind that I will have to work within two metres so it's going to be a while until this is possible) that one of the conditions of being able to work is to wear gloves. There is not enough specific information yet as it's still early days but it's being suggested that the gloves need to be latex free. When looking up gloves there are a number of types...

Latex

Latex-free

Nitrile

Plastic Gloves

PVC Gloves

So many options and it seems that the proper protective gloves that do the job officially are reserved for the UK Govt. That seems completely fair. But where are you supposed to get gloves from that help prevent the spread if the best ones are reserved for the Govt?

If anyone has information on gloves - best to buy, where to buy, best type, types to avoid etc - then this is the place to shove them. Alternatively as usual the information (and any unwanted gloves - can also be shoved up @Mook's arse.

Sad to see this thread go the same way as the other one, with jokes and GIFs about sexual fetishes.  Such a strange attitude we have to PPE in western society, something that could genuinely make a difference and save lives.  Sometimes I think we deserve our horrifically high death toll. 

• Downvote 1

Who would have thought gloves could be so flipping complicated. Now I'm seeing the word Neoprene. What thhe fuck is that?

Neoprene (also polychloroprene) is a family of synthetic rubbers that are produced by polymerization of chloroprene.[1] Neoprene exhibits good chemical stability and maintains flexibility over a wide temperature range. Neoprene is sold either as solid rubber or in latex form and is used in a wide variety of applications, such as laptop sleeves, orthopaedic braces (wrist, knee, etc.), electrical insulation, liquid and sheet-applied elastomeric membranes or flashings, and automotive fan belts.[2]

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/201280110786?chn=ps&var=500477710196&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=500477710192_201280110786&targetid=876080352896&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9044978&campaignid=9437867687&mkgroupid=96613768715&rlsatarget=pla-876080352896&abcId=1139366&merchantid=9540064&gclid=CjwKCAjwte71BRBCEiwAU_V9h-ESlKFlWBX7n6ZnWPJKhV6eail_Gr39m12clMdZjk3OjZ_KOnppdhoCcoYQAvD_BwE

I have taken a punt on ordering 200 of these at £15 per 100. All the other places are demanding high order volumes and not delivering until June, July and August.

42 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Driving-Gloves-KnuckleHoles_Black.jpg

38 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

7F747523-50B1-40A1-9A7F-9E017BD560C2.jpeg

37 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Bring out the gimp.

35 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

He will be here in an hour max I reckon 

34 minutes ago, skend04 said:

94a139c9611b83420097d92d68f0fa06.jpg

Seeing as you could still be tempted to touch your face subconsciously even with gloves on, this is the only option.

22 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

giphy.gif

21 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Now is a great time to get a deal on mittens.

You all should be ashamed.

10 minutes ago, TK421 said:

Sad to see this thread go the same way as the other one, with jokes and GIFs about sexual fetishes.  Such a strange attitude we have to PPE in western society, something that could genuinely make a difference and save lives.  Sometimes I think we deserve our horrifically high death toll. 

Apparently they started shooting people in the Spanish Flu.

Time to cleanse TLW, TK.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

31 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Who would have thought gloves could be so flipping complicated. Now I'm seeing the word Neoprene. What thhe fuck is that?

Neoprene (also polychloroprene) is a family of synthetic rubbers that are produced by polymerization of chloroprene.[1] Neoprene exhibits good chemical stability and maintains flexibility over a wide temperature range. Neoprene is sold either as solid rubber or in latex form and is used in a wide variety of applications, such as laptop sleeves, orthopaedic braces (wrist, knee, etc.), electrical insulation, liquid and sheet-applied elastomeric membranes or flashings, and automotive fan belts.[2]

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/201280110786?chn=ps&var=500477710196&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=500477710192_201280110786&targetid=876080352896&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9044978&campaignid=9437867687&mkgroupid=96613768715&rlsatarget=pla-876080352896&abcId=1139366&merchantid=9540064&gclid=CjwKCAjwte71BRBCEiwAU_V9h-ESlKFlWBX7n6ZnWPJKhV6eail_Gr39m12clMdZjk3OjZ_KOnppdhoCcoYQAvD_BwE

I have taken a punt on ordering 200 of these at £15 per 100. All the other places are demanding high order volumes and not delivering until June, July and August.

Mine are nitrile. I ordered them because "nitrile" sounds cool and they had them in my size (that's large, for any women reading). I paid £12.99 for 100 with free postage. 

36 minutes ago, TK421 said:

We deserve to die for making childish sex jokes to cheer ourselves up during a global pandemic? 

I think thats arguably the shittiest thing you have ever said on here you absolute prick. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TK421 said:

Mine are nitrile. I ordered them because "nitrile" sounds cool and they had them in my size (that's large, for any women reading). I paid £12.99 for 100 with free postage. 

And a jumped up fucking hypocrite to boot. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Are you self-employed? If not, your employer should be providing PPE, you shouldn't have to be sourcing it yourself.

Yes I am self-employed. I'm not sure I should be as driving instruction is regulated by the UK Govt. It's just a way of them keeping control of driving standards without having to take responsibility for it. I might get lucky and the Govt decide to take more of interest in ensuring standards are adhered to and provide the necessary equipment but I'm not holding my breath on that one.