You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Kompany: Virgil Van Dijk is the best defender in Premier League history

TLW

Vincent Kompany has made the big claim that Virgil Van Dijk is the best defender in Premier League history.

It is a indispensable fact that the big Dutchman has played a major part in turning around the fortunes of Liverpool’s defence which was for so long the stumbling block in the Reds becoming a consistently good team and arguably is now the strongest part of the pitch.

While Van Dijk has only been in the Premier League since the 2015/6 season, Kompany has no doubt that he has made up considerable ground over those with longer careers in the league.

The Echo via Sporf reported the current Anderlecht player-manager as saying.

“I would choose Virgil van Dijk as the best defender in Premier League history.

“It is a strange choice, because he is not in the scene as long as boys like [John] Terry and [Rio] Ferdinand. Those boys have played in the league for a very long time.

“But the signals that Van Dijk  has given in his last few seasons makes it so clear that if he had gone to the absolute top before, he would be even further.

Players receive many accolades throughout their career, but being referred to as someone who makes their team better has to be one of the best credits you can get.

After seeing the transformation of Liverpool first hand, Kompany has no doubt that Virgil has that rare quality about him.

vandijk3_600.jpg

"He makes a huge difference to his team.

"A defender never stands alone, it is about his communication with teammates and how you make your team stronger.

“The Liverpool before Van Dijk was there and the Liverpool after Van Dijk was a completely different team.

"That is why I choose him as the best defender from the Premier League ever."

View full article

• 3 weeks later...

Ability-wise I feel completely comfortable saying he's the best defender I've ever seen play for the club (so better than Hansen, Lawrenson, Hyypia, Carra etc). Needs to stay at the club for a few more years to say he has achieved as much as some of them, but frankly I've never seen a defender anywhere that has as much to his game as van Dijk. It's not hyperbole with him; he's just that good.

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, sh#t waffle said:

Ability-wise I feel completely comfortable saying he's the best defender I've ever seen play for the club (so better than Hansen, Lawrenson, Hyypia, Carra etc). Needs to stay at the club for a few more years to say he has achieved as much as some of them, but frankly I've never seen a defender anywhere that has as much to his game as van Dijk. It's not hyperbole with him; he's just that good.

Agreed. I’ve supported the club since 1996/97, by top 5 CBs:

1. Van Dijk

2. Carragher

3. Hyypia

4. Gomez

5. Henchoz

1 hour ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

In my time watching

1 Hansen/VVD

3 Lawrenson

4 Hyypia

5 Thompson

Very hard to disagree with that. Thompson and Sami might flip, but it's close.  Hyypia never gets the credit the real credit he deserves I feel.  An absolute rock of calmness and ability.   

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, aRdja said:

Agreed. I’ve supported the club since 1996/97, by top 5 CBs:

1. Van Dijk

2. Carragher

3. Hyypia

4. Gomez

5. Henchoz

Henchoz and Carragher were out and out stoppers. Van Dijk, Gomez, Hyypia and Agger are/were quality footballers.

Guest Alex_K

Van Dijk is the best CB in the history of the league and it’s not even really a discussion. Who could be better? Ferdinand? Doesn’t have Van Dijks physicality. Vidic? Doesn’t have his pace. Terry, Adams etc. — neither his pace or physicality. He’s an absolute monster at the heart of what was lining up to be (and may still yet be) the statistically best team in the history of the league and a team which, the complete mess that is Adrian aside, was favourites to make a 3rd CL final in 3 years. 

1 hour ago, Alex_K said:

Van Dijk is the best CB in the history of the league and it’s not even really a discussion. Who could be better? Ferdinand? Doesn’t have Van Dijks physicality. Vidic? Doesn’t have his pace. Terry, Adams etc. — neither his pace or physicality. He’s an absolute monster at the heart of what was lining up to be (and may still yet be) the statistically best team in the history of the league and a team which, the complete mess that is Adrian aside, was favourites to make a 3rd CL final in 3 years. 

I called his quality when he was at Celtic. Just a reminder. 

tenor.gif

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alex_K said:

He's the best centre back to have ever played the game.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

Barely seen him play. Must be some player if he is as good as Alan Hansen.

Hansen was a different class, and has been comfortably our best CB over the last 40 years. Hyypia and Lawrenson were brilliant, but not anywhere near Hansen.

Van Dijk however, even if it’s difficult to compare players from different times, is better than Hansen imo.

• Upvote 2