You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Best British Actor of All Time

Elite

Just now, General Dryness said:

There once was a mum from limerick 

I couldn't be fucking bothered

Words that rhyme with limerick would take this into NSFW territory.

There was a young man called Vincent

Who came from Dundalk as an infant

His ma spent the day

On the Liverpool way

And now she's not so innocent.

3 hours ago, General Dryness said:

There was a young mum from Dundalk

Who was quite a big fan of pork

With a burp and a cough

She pulled my end off

And I squirted all over her norks

There once was a vampire called Mabel

Whose periods were very unstable

One night at full moon

She picked up a spoon

And drank herself under the table

O'Toole probably for me, by the way.

• Upvote 1

The two best performances I’ve ever seen by British actors are Vicky McClure in This Is England ‘86 and Sarah Lancashire in Happy Valley. 

Even though I think the likes of DDL and Gary Oldman are amazing and each has an amazing range of skills and roles that reflect them, I think I just prefer the subtlety of a more naturalistic performance of a character who is “ordinary”. The evocation of authentic human emotions in “everyday” dramatic moments is more impressive to me than playing Churchill, a spy, a psychotic oil man or a disabled artist. 

In no way am I diminishing the greatness of the two blokes I’ve mentioned there (they’re both incredible and I love their films - especially GO’s in State Of Grace); rather I’m stating how McClure and Lancashire are in stellar company. 

Lancashire’s range in Happy Valley is mind-blowing and you don’t see her as the bar maid from Corrie in another role; rather she simply is that rural police sergeant and surrogate mum/nan who endures everyday grind, awful grief and extreme violence. 

And as for Vicky McClure in TIE ‘86! Fuck me, I have never seen anything like the scene she has with Johnny Harris. It is so fucking visceral. I have never felt more tense or engaged in anything on the screen in my life than that. And then Stephen Graham arrives and she takes the scene in another direction completely. Honestly find it hard to comprehend how they went in and out of performance, so real does it seem. It’s absolutely wonderful stuff. 

• Upvote 2