You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

This VE Day thing.

3 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Far from mutually exclusive, I'd say you need both: respect and remember the dead and keep an eye on the roots of the evil they fought against. 

Remembrance Day is 4th May here. Everything, and I mean everything, comes to a halt and complete quiet takes over briefly. Liberation Day is the day after on the 5th. That's only an actual bank holiday every 5 years (this year obviously) but there's usually festivals on for it. 

Absolutely nothing wrong with acknowledging the people who fought to protect their country and the defeat of a vile, poisonous, sociopathic regime. 

But... 

Some fuckers do go over the top. Just on the news then, blokes and women in their 30s. Dressed up like extras from Peaky fucking Blinders and singing war-time songs in the street. Nah. It's not for me, that. These divs weren't even born during the war. It seems to be more about bandwagon jumping and look at me then a tasteful gesture of respect and acknowledgement for some. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Absolutely nothing wrong with acknowledging the people who fought to protect their country and the defeat of a vile, poisonous, sociopathic regime. 

But... 

Some fuckers do go over the top. Just on the news then, blokes and women in their 30s. Dressed up like extras from Peaky fucking Blinders and singing war-time songs in the street. Nah. It's not for me, that. These divs weren't even born during the war. It seems to be more about bandwagon jumping and look at me then a tasteful gesture of respect and acknowledgement for some. 

Why not a nice, tasteful poem instead? Like Lee's? 

EXesciLX0AI4oME.png

It was quite a moving scene in our house at 11.00 am. The mrs stood there, jaw clenched and tears in her eyes for 2 minutes, it was touch and go for a moment but she managed to keep her gob shut.

2 minutes ago, Jennings said:

We should remember them. All of them.

I am not offended in any way by it.

I think peace feels better to celebrate than victory. A bit more inclusive and respectful. 11th Nov.

But we couldn’t have the peace without the victory.  

20 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

All you have to do is close the curtains, switch the tele over and remind yourself you are cooler than them.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

But we couldn’t have the peace without the victory.  

Nah.  If that's the best we can do recalling a war, I think it's a shame.

Churchill "won".  Bombed the French fleet, his allies... and condemned half-a-million Slavs to certain death in the "negotiated", carving-up process at the end.

What peace are you talking about?  Yours?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, skaro said:

Churchill "won". Bombed the French fleet, his allies... and condemned half-a-million Slavs to certain death in the inevitable "negotiated", carving-up process.

What peace are you talking about?

You might find that was Roosevelt 

2 minutes ago, skaro said:

No it certainly was not just Roosevelt - unless Churchill was just serving the drinks and taking notes, which I recall, he'd never done in the past.

If you are talking about Yalta, it was Churchill that took the hard line against Stalin but Roosevelt who made the concessions.

No it certainly was not just Roosevelt - unless Churchill was just serving the drinks and taking notes, which I recall, he'd never done in the past.

Wasn't all leaders that decided this after conference in Northern Italy , De Gaulle? Harold Macmillan was the British representative I think.  Concerning the Cossacks. 

20 minutes ago, A Red said:

If you are talking about Yalta, it was Churchill that took the hard line against Stalin but Roosevelt who made the concessions.

Even if he did, taking a hard line against Stalin was not saving Slav lives, mate.

19 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

Wasn't all leaders that decided this after conference in Northern Italy , De Gaulle? Harold Macmillan was the British representative I think.  Concerning the Cossacks. 

Churchill missed out again on taking responsibility?  Yeah, probably.

Even if he did, taking a hard line against Stalin was not saving Slav lives, mate.

To blame Churchill for what Roosevelt agreed to at Yalta and what Stalin did subsequently, is a bit thin though.

Churchill missed out again on taking responsibility?  Yeah, probably.

He took responsibility on really bad decisions prior to that war, I don't think he was the only one in the war to have made or had to make dreadful decisions.they did on all sides right down from the top to the actual people who where actually doing the fighting, leaving wounded behind etc. 

I don't get the singling out of Churchill while there was much worse, it must be because he was from England I suppose, and that's enough to stick in anyone's craw. 

48 minutes ago, skaro said:

Churchill "won".  Bombed the French fleet, his allies... and condemned half-a-million Slavs to certain death in the "negotiated", carving-up process at the end.

What peace are you talking about?  Yours?

I’m having another of my head shaking moments.  Celebrating defeating actual Nazis is bad.  Fucking mental. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, easytoslip said:

What about the other countries that commemorate, or is it just the UK that you mean? 

I don't think there's a country in the world that doesn't practice what you mentioned, or is it just the because it's the UK that gets you.? 

I don't really understand the questions. Taking time out to reflect, remembering the sacrifice and learning lessons from the war for a better future.  That's all fine, I have no problem with the UK or any other country doing these things on a day like today or whenever else it is deemed to be appropriate. I am not intolerant in that respect. 

What I object to is stuff like the poem from Lee Butcher on twitter.