Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Redder Lurtz

This VE Day thing.

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Maybe, just maybe, it’s not about you lot. It’s about them.  

Agreed. We can only try to imagine about what they seen and went through. 

In a way the First World War was in touching distance say 30 years ago and now its a 100 years ago, so the Second World War is entering that time span and those that where there won't be in the near future, so let them remember and let today's members of the Forces acknowledge those who went before them. 

It shouldn't be questioned bad shit it was, but it happened and it is what it is,. 

We live in a more Scumbag society now by far, these cunts today celebrate any old shite anyway, over the top funerals, vigils and shrines, kids hugging each other on the news because they've got exam results for Fucksake, all that type of shite, that's far worse than taking time out to remember people who actually did something, especially when you see how old these where and compare them to the average shit bag of today. 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, easytoslip said:

Agreed. We can only try to imagine about what they seen and went through. 

In a way the First World War was in touching distance say 30 years ago and now its a 100 years ago, so the Second World War is entering that time span and those that where there won't be in the near future, so let them remember and let today's members of the Forces acknowledge those who went before them. 

It shouldn't be questioned bad shit it was, but it happened and it is what it is,. 

We live in a more Scumbag society now by far, these cunts today celebrate any old shite anyway, over the top funerals, vigils and shrines, kids hugging each other on the news because they've got exam results for Fucksake, all that type of shite, that's far worse than taking time out to remember people who actually did something, especially when you see how old these where and compare them to the average shit bag of today. 

 

 

 

 

No. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, easytoslip said:
44 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

No. 

Most sense you’ve made.  
 

Despite a global pandemic there is no better time to be alive.  Be grateful you are lucky. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

 

What you said was that victory in WW2 was "actually accomplished by the one ideology that righties are always banging on about that they hate".

 

All I did was point out that victory could have been achieved without such a terrible loss of Russian life, and that throwing corpses at the Nazi war machine isn't a particularly great advert for the Stalin regime.

 

My argument is that victory wasn't accomplished by the ideology, so much as with sheer force of numbers, which is something the Russians would have had whoever was in charge. I don't see this as particularly controversial.

Fair to say that Stalin's tactics - drawing back to defend the major Russian cities, thus abandoning vast areas of Belarus, the Baltic states, Moldova, Ukraine, etc. to the Nazis - were an absolute disaster for the Soviet people.  It also allowed the most anti-Semitic residents those places to collaborate with the Nazis and outstrip them in their genocidal frenzy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Fair to say that Stalin's tactics - drawing back to defend the major Russian cities, thus abandoning vast areas of Belarus, the Baltic states, Moldova, Ukraine, etc. to the Nazis - were an absolute disaster for the Soviet people.  It also allowed the most anti-Semitic residents those places to collaborate with the Nazis and outstrip them in their genocidal frenzy.

 

Stalin was fervently anti-Semitic himself.  Well, he was anti-everything/one except himself...

 

His was categorically not a blind eye to the anti-Semitism in residence in the Soviet Union.

 

And he was happy to allow collaboration with the Nazis while trying to beat them.  Think: the initial carve-up and rape of Poland in 1939.  

 

And a glorious Western example:  Reagan backing Iraq while selling arms to Iran.  

 

Or even earlier, great all-American companies like Westinghouse giving the Nazi's a leg-up in rearmament.

 

Wasn't it some Russian of Khruschev's era (perhaps even himself?) who said something along the lines of: beware we don't take away the thing you need most - an enemy. 

 

 

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently there was a distinct mental disorder that developed in German troops because Russia was so fucking big. Apparently some of them used to just look at the endless steppes and go bonkers. "Where's the next town?" "800 miles" what's between here and there? "Nowt."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Fair to say that Stalin's tactics - drawing back to defend the major Russian cities, thus abandoning vast areas of Belarus, the Baltic states, Moldova, Ukraine, etc. to the Nazis - were an absolute disaster for the Soviet people.  It also allowed the most anti-Semitic residents those places to collaborate with the Nazis and outstrip them in their genocidal frenzy.

Wasn't really a tactic. You are right that he relocated Russian industry away from the front line, but the Germans scythed through the Russian Army in 41. Retreat wasn't a tactical decision by Stalin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Apparently there was a distinct mental disorder that developed in German troops because Russia was so fucking big. Apparently some of them used to just look at the endless steppes and go bonkers. "Where's the next town?" "800 miles" what's between here and there? "Nowt."

 

Hitler so admired Napoleon, apparently... you'd have thought someone would have reminded the Fuhrer of similar conquering problems a mere 129 years previously.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, skaro said:

 

Hitler so admired Napoleon, apparently... you'd have thought someone would have reminded the Fuhrer of similar conquering problems a mere 129 years previously.

 

 

My mate when we where kids asked why Napoleon didn't remind Hitler about it, he was extremely thick, he even called the magistrate  your majesty when we was in court. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

VE day was a particularly difficult time for my family.

 

My Dad lived above a bank in Bold Street, but the house was bombed the same night St Luke's Church was hit. He and his mum moved over to Wallasey to stay with grand parents, but were then sent to the Isle of Man. He remembers some friendly Italian prisoners of war on the Isle of Man who lived nearby and played a piano.

 

His father meanwhile was a Bombardier in the Royal Artillery - 83rd Field Regiment of the 53rd Royal Welch Division that went from Normandy, through Holland and across the Rhine. Sadly he was killed on 19th April 1945 - his unit was ambushed while moving their artillery gun.

 

You can imagine then that while everyone else was celebrating VE day, my family were instead coming to terms with their loss. I know today will be a sad day for my Dad, so I'll give him a ring for a chat. For me celebrating VE day isn't about us, it's about doing service for them.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Utter respect to all those who gave their all, died and lost loved ones during yet another appalling period of human history.

 

Should be remembered as a time when a war ended. As someone said, even Germany was liberated.

 

When I was younger, I used to wonder why we bothered remembering. But now Im older, I realise exactly why we should and do.

 

Respect.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't believe what this thread has desecnded into.

 

Show some respect for those that went before you and those that made the ultimate sacrifice. Whether armed or not.

 

My grandfather was a Jap prisoner of war for 4 years. Went down to 6 stone, had to at one point eat rats and watched most of his mates die. He never ever spoke about his experiences. When my nan found out he was coming home they organised a street party for him. He hadn't turned up at one point and was found to have slipped into the house and was sitting in the kitchen. Couldn't bear to face anyone or anything. Lived out his days in a hollow existence.

 

I served myself and for quite a long time. But even I can't begin to imagine what any member of the forces went through at some point during that period.

 

Some of you on here need to get a grip. Fucking disgraceful.

  • Upvote 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, AB13 said:

Can't believe what this thread has desecnded into.

 

Show some respect for those that went before you and those that made the ultimate sacrifice. Whether armed or not.

 

My grandfather was a Jap prisoner of war for 4 years. Went down to 6 stone, had to at one point eat rats and watched most of his mates die. He never ever spoke about his experiences. When my nan found out he was coming home they organised a street party for him. He hadn't turned up at one point and was found to have slipped into the house and was sitting in the kitchen. Couldn't bear to face anyone or anything. Lived out his days in a hollow existence.

 

I served myself and for quite a long time. But even I can't begin to imagine what any member of the forces went through at some point during that period.

 

Some of you on here need to get a grip. Fucking disgraceful.

 

Is that you, RB14?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AB13 said:

What are you on about?

 

Sorry, there's a poster called rb14.

 

I agree with you that VE Day shouldn't be belittled.  Nor war.

 

Certainly not for political points.

 

Anyway mate, all the best.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AB13 said:

Can't believe what this thread has desecnded into.

 

Show some respect for those that went before you and those that made the ultimate sacrifice. Whether armed or not.

 

My grandfather was a Jap prisoner of war for 4 years. Went down to 6 stone, had to at one point eat rats and watched most of his mates die. He never ever spoke about his experiences. When my nan found out he was coming home they organised a street party for him. He hadn't turned up at one point and was found to have slipped into the house and was sitting in the kitchen. Couldn't bear to face anyone or anything. Lived out his days in a hollow existence.

 

I served myself and for quite a long time. But even I can't begin to imagine what any member of the forces went through at some point during that period.

 

Some of you on here need to get a grip. Fucking disgraceful.

I don't think it has "descended" into anything.  Most people have paid their respects to those who served and lived through the war, whilst at the same time expressing reservations about the rampant level of jingoism, xenophobia and racism now firmly ensconced in British society.  The two aren't mutually exclusive. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TK421 said:

I don't think it has "descended" into anything.  Most people have paid their respects to those who served and lived through the war, whilst at the same time expressing reservations about the rampant level of jingoism, xenophobia and racism now firmly ensconsed in British society.  The two aren't mutually exclusive. 

What about the other countries that commemorate, or is it just the UK that you mean? 

I don't think there's a country in the world that doesn't practice what you mentioned, or is it just the because it's the UK that gets you.? 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, TK421 said:

I don't think it has "descended" into anything.  Most people have paid their respects to those who served and lived through the war, whilst at the same time expressing reservations about the rampant level of jingoism, xenophobia and racism now firmly ensconced in British society.  The two aren't mutually exclusive. 

Far from mutually exclusive, I'd say you need both: respect and remember the dead and keep an eye on the roots of the evil they fought against. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×