You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

This VE Day thing.

45 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Not sure sending millions of undersupplied peasants to their doom is a tremendous advert for the Soviet ideology, if I'm honest.

I'd say the defeat of the Nazis was the one event which you could say was a tremendous advert for the Soviet ideology.

It took one monstrous regime to defeat another.

But thanks for proving my point.

37 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Like you did. 23.4% is a fair estimate. 

I’ll ask for a pie chart next time now that I know you’re not into percentages. 

What makes you think i'm in to pie charts? I prefer the medium of mime.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, polymerpunkah said:

I'd say the defeat of the Nazis was the one event which you could say was a tremendous advert for the Soviet ideology.

It took one monstrous regime to defeat another.

But thanks for proving my point.

Not sure where your point was proven, exactly, because surely the Nazis could have been defeated without quite such a colossally futile loss of life.

8 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Not sure where your point was proven, exactly, because surely the Nazis could have been defeated without quite such a colossally futile loss of life.

the one ideology that righties are always banging on about that they hate

They end the war, defeat the Nazis, stop the Holocaust, and yet it's not enough, as they didn't do it as efficiently as possible.

There's just no pleasing some people.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, polymerpunkah said:

They end the war, defeat the Nazis, stop the Holocaust, and yet it's not enough, as they didn't do it as efficiently as possible.

There's just no pleasing some people.

What you said was that victory in WW2 was "actually accomplished by the one ideology that righties are always banging on about that they hate".

All I did was point out that victory could have been achieved without such a terrible loss of Russian life, and that throwing corpses at the Nazi war machine isn't a particularly great advert for the Stalin regime.

My argument is that victory wasn't accomplished by the ideology, so much as with sheer force of numbers, which is something the Russians would have had whoever was in charge. I don't see this as particularly controversial.

3 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Not sure sending millions of undersupplied peasants to their doom is a tremendous advert for the Soviet ideology, if I'm honest.

They were only copying past chapters and future ones too. Remember the hoo ha over killing hundreds of conscripted Argentine kids as if Britain had won a world war?

34 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

What you said was that victory in WW2 was "actually accomplished by the one ideology that righties are always banging on about that they hate".

All I did was point out that victory could have been achieved without such a terrible loss of Russian life, and that throwing corpses at the Nazi war machine isn't a particularly great advert for the Stalin regime.

My argument is that victory wasn't accomplished by the ideology, so much as with sheer force of numbers, which is something the Russians would have had whoever was in charge. I don't see this as particularly controversial.

I'll leave you to parse the question of what role the ideology played in winning the war, defeating the Nazis, and ending the holocaust. 

And whether or not it could have been achieved with the loss of fewer Russian lives.

As I said, there's just no pleasing some people.

My dad was on the Cossack when it rescued the merchant seamen on board the Altmark, before transferring to submarines ( better pay ) My father in law was with the Royal Artillery at El Alamein, and my mother in law was a WAAF, serving in 11 group .We were both born after the war and grew up with relatives and neighbours who now and then spoke about the war. A lot of people never said a word. We respected them and what they had done and each Armistice Sunday remember those who didn't come home. We've got bunting out for tomorrow as it will probably be the last significant anniversary that any of the Veterans will still be with us.

One thing is for certain , if it wasn't for them , this celebration would not be happening...……...

• Upvote 3