You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

This VE Day thing.

Russians, Yanks and British couldn't have won without each other IMO, or without the resistance groups operating around the world, if you'd taken any of it out of the mix and right now we'd all be driving German cars and shopping in German supermarkets, in a country with vastly inferior infrastructure and possibly even at the mercy of a global pandemic with which Germany was successfully grappling and we were not. 

• Upvote 4

10 years today since the BNP were defeated by concerted community organising in Barking & Dagenham and Stoke and any other places they thought they could win.

British Nazis had a real chance to gain positions in our Parliament, as they did in the European Parliament.

The thing is, Rico, bad shit happened before and could happen again if we let it.  Probably best not to sneer your complacent sneer.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

God speed the fellas who fought. Unimaginable horror and ultimately (for once where Britain is concerned) good conquered evil. 

Those flag waving rule-britannia racist cunts can fuck right off. None wouldn't even dream of doing a mile and a half bleep test for their country let alone pick up a weapon and fight. 

5 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Russians, Yanks and British couldn't have won without each other IMO, or without the resistance groups operating around the world, if you'd taken any of it out of the mix and right now we'd all be driving German cars and shopping in German supermarkets, in a country with vastly inferior infrastructure and possibly even at the mercy of a global pandemic with which Germany was successfully grappling and we were not. 

Oh do fuck off. 

18 minutes ago, tokyojoe said:

Her Indoors has just been rumaging about and found some bunting. She has threatened to put it up on the house to which my reaction was there is no way I want to be viewed as a fucking S*n reader.

She's gone quiet now.

Yeah you might wanna find a safe house 

10 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

If its wasn't for the vile Nazi ideology .... i'd want Germany to have won with hindsight. 

I've always thought of Vera Lynn singing "We'll Meet Again" as the acme of sugary drivel: the kind of syrupy shite that my parents' generation would go misty-eyed for.

It's only recently that I've thought about it in the context of couples separating with the real prospect that one of them will die before they get a chance to reunite.  So, yeah, I'll allow a wee bit of sentimentality.

17 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Serious question. What percentage of these people arranging or participating in VE Day street parties do you think actually give a shit or even know the first thing about WW2? 

I’d wager that for the vast, vast majority, it’s just an excuse to go out into the street to be part of something. There wouldn’t even be suggestions of street parties and the like if it wasn’t for the lockdown. 

Show your working out. 

Just now, AngryofTuebrook said:

I've always thought of Vera Lynn singing "We'll Meet Again" as the acme of sugary drivel: the kind of syrupy shite that my parents' generation would go misty-eyed for.

It's only recently that I've thought about it in the context of couples separating with the real prospect that one of them will die before they get a chance to reunite.  So, yeah, I'll allow a wee bit of sentimentality.

Absolutely. If it ws "Thank you for your service" then yes . Instead most see it as an excuse to big up one of the most murderous countries on the planet and use it as a political slogan. Much to the disgust of those who actually served. 

During the election campaign an ex WW2 pilot gave a speech about how Brexit is bollocks and they fought for things like an EU. Media blackout. Some baldy racist cunt complains about dogs shitting on his green in-front of his house and shouts "get em out".. BBC wahey!!!! 

20 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Serious question. What percentage of these people arranging or participating in VE Day street parties do you think actually give a shit or even know the first thing about WW2? 

I’d wager that for the vast, vast majority, it’s just an excuse to go out into the street to be part of something. There wouldn’t even be suggestions of street parties and the like if it wasn’t for the lockdown. 

Spot on. 4% 

21 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

23.4%

27 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Those flag waving rule-britannia racist cunts can fuck right off. None wouldn't even dream of doing a mile and a half bleep test for their country let alone pick up a weapon and fight. 

Yes they can, pretty much the vast majority of people would agree, doesnt make everyone that puts up bunting or waves a flag a racist.

Lets take Celtic, (could easily be Rangers perhaps even more so) there are some right bad bellends wearing Celtic colours that have spouted some right horrible nasty racist vile shite. Is everyone that wears the hooped shirt like that? Of course not, nowhere near. 

Horrible racist bastards can only hijack something if you let them take it.

• Upvote 1

Just now, A Red said:

Yes they can, pretty much the vast majority of people would agree, doesnt make everyone that puts up bunting or waves a flag a racist.

Lets take Celtic, (could easily be Rangers perhaps even more so) there are some right bad bellends wearing Celtic colours that have spouted some right horrible nasty racist vile shite. Is everyone that wears the hooped shirt like that? Of course not, nowhere near. 

Horrible racist bastards can only hijack something if you let them take it.

Oh I agree some Celtic fans can be bastards. But en masse? Nah. Freedom fighters. jedi's against the Empire. Left v Right. Good v Evil. You've chosen your side. I was born and live with mine. 

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Oh I agree some Celtic fans can be bastards. But en masse? Nah. Freedom fighters. jedi's against the Empire. Left v Right. Good v Evil. You've chosen your side. I was born and live with mine. 

Widnes popular front?

• Upvote 1

Let's wave a flag and eat a scone for them once a year, yeah really showing respect to our veterans, makes you proud.  

Maybe this is why I am cynical about the governments motives;

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1271990/Coronavirus-campaign-UK-army-veterans-Captain-Tom-Moore

UK’s army veterans ‘let down’ as vital helpline closed during coronavirus fight

MINISTERS have faced demands to reopen a hotline for veterans that provides vital support for Britain's brave ex-troops.

https://labour.org.uk/press/labour-urges-re-opening-of-helpline-for-veterans/

Labour urges re-opening of helpline for veterans

Labour is today urging Ministers to re-open the Government’s dedicated Veterans UK Helpline, which has been closed, while other vital Government support on pensions and compensation payments has also been scaled back.

While the country has been inspired by the efforts of 99 year-old veteran, Captain Tom Moore, thousands of other veterans around the country will be in need of extra support at this difficult time. 

Government figures reveal there are 126,000 veterans who, like Captain Tom, are living in Britain in their 90s.

However, Ministers have taken the decision to close the Veterans UK Helpline, as well as suspending postal enquiries, with veterans directed to a Ministry of Defence email address instead.  Alongside this, support for some pension and compensation claims or enquiries has been halted.

Labour is urging the Government to safely re-open the Veterans UK Helpline service, to allow elderly and vulnerable veterans the support they need during the coronavirus crisis.