You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

This VE Day thing.

40 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

They probably don’t think there’s anything wrong with celebrating defeating Nazis. Real ones.  The ones that created the concentration camps and killed millions upon millions of people. Not ones that are called Nazi now because they vote Tory or think that trigger warnings and safe spaces are bollocks.  

We are fucking lucky. We are unlikely to ever have to do anything like that so having 1 day to celebrate it ain’t that bad.  

It's not by "luck" that we've managed to keep Nazis more or less in their box.  It's by vigilance and a commitment to keeping the fuckers from gaining a foothold.

Real Nazis do exist.  Across Europe and the USA, they commit acts of violence and murder.  Throwing the word "Nazi" round cheaply - whether it's done by lefties who hate Tories or by Tories who hate Corbyn - is dangerous nonsense, but don't pretend that Nazism ceased to exist in May 1945. 

45 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

They probably don’t think there’s anything wrong with celebrating defeating Nazis. Real ones.  The ones that created the concentration camps and killed millions upon millions of people. Not ones that are called Nazi now because they vote Tory or think that trigger warnings and safe spaces are bollocks.  

We are fucking lucky. We are unlikely to ever have to do anything like that so having 1 day to celebrate it ain’t that bad.  

Not sure is fishing, so I'll leave it for someone else!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

It's not by "luck" that we've managed to keep Nazis more or less in their box.  It's by vigilance and a commitment to keeping the fuckers from gaining a foothold.

Real Nazis do exist.  Across Europe and the USA, they commit acts of violence and murder.  Throwing the word "Nazi" round cheaply - whether it's done by lefties who hate Tories or by Tories who hate Corbyn - is dangerous nonsense, but don't pretend that Nazism ceased to exist in May 1945. 

They also commit horrendous europop crimes

https://www.vice.com/en_au/article/rm35nr/ace-of-bases-secret-nazi-past

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Yes they do.  There’s probably a few thousand. But they bare likely to invade us any time soon.

2 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

They probably don’t think there’s anything wrong with celebrating defeating Nazis. 

I'm sure you're probably right.

As I'm sure they're probably not thinking about Nazis when they're sat there with scones, finger buffet, Pimms, plastic flag and bunting. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rico1304 said:

Yes they do.  There’s probably a few thousand. But they bare likely to invade us any time soon.

That's just fine then.  I'm white, straight and not politically active, so I'll be safe.

You do know, don't you, that anyone in the late 20s/early 30s could have said "there's probably a few thousand", but in less time than it took us to get from winning 5 in Istanbul to 6 in Madrid, half the fucking world was in flames and all the Jews of Europe were under threat of mass murder?

I reckon it's best not to wait for things to come to that.

3 minutes ago, A Red said:

Its celebrating the end of the war and sacrifice in the defeat of the one ideology that lefties are always banging on about that they hate,  what is there not to like?

The fact that it was actually accomplished by the one ideology that righties are always banging on about that they hate?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, polymerpunkah said:

The fact that it was actually accomplished by the one ideology that righties are always banging on about that they hate?

Communism? Yes the Soviet Union were the major contributor

1 hour ago, Moo said:

I'm sure you're probably right.

As I'm sure they're probably not thinking about Nazis when they're sat there with scones, finger buffet, Pimms, plastic flag and bunting. 

Whereas you are at the front of the fight taking it to the Nazis where ever you see them...

15 minutes ago, A Red said:

Its celebrating the end of the war and sacrifice in the defeat of the one ideology that lefties are always banging on about that they hate,  what is there not to like?

Serious question. What percentage of these people arranging or participating in VE Day street parties do you think actually give a shit or even know the first thing about WW2? 

I’d wager that for the vast, vast majority, it’s just an excuse to go out into the street to be part of something. There wouldn’t even be suggestions of street parties and the like if it wasn’t for the lockdown.