You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

This VE Day thing.

It’s celebrating victory in Europe as the war wasn’t over.  1700 a week killed every week for 5 years, every family in the country knowing people who’d died or been injured and people in the cities living through the fear of being bombed and not knowing if their loved ones were alive or dead.  And the very real prospect of being invaded.  People moaning they want a fucking tea party!  

I won’t be celebrating it. But won’t be moaning about people who are.  Especially as the closest I got to war was watching the Falklands on the 6 o’clock news.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, A Red said:

If celebrating VE day offends , bores or irritates you, heres an idea, dont get involved. Switch the TV over, close your curtains or find something else to do. Its 1 day, its really not a difficult thing to get through.

To commemorate the good old blackout days.

8 hours ago, Redder Lurtz said:

Yeah I get it. 75 years since allied troops defeated nazi tyranny and all that. But am I the only one not overly excited about celebrating the end of a war that killed 75 million people? I just can't bring myself to throw the bunting up and start cheering. It just doesn't put me in a celebratory mood. I feel I'll spend VE day largely on reflecting about what this horrendous species is capable of doing to one another more than anything else. 

It's been twisted, misrepresented and misused as part of the Nationalist myth of (white?) British exceptionalism - whatever problems the world faces, we can defeat it by waving a fucking flag at it because we're British!

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, A Red said:

If celebrating VE day offends , bores or irritates you, heres an idea, dont get involved. Switch the TV over, close your curtains or find something else to do. Its 1 day, its really not a difficult thing to get through.

Or (as Lurtzy said) spend the day reflecting on the horrible tragedies; and maybe think about committing to avoid the failures of the 20s and 30s which allowed Nazism and Fascism to triumph in Europe in the first place.

6 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

It's been twisted, misrepresented and misused as part of the Nationalist myth of (white?) British exceptionalism - whatever problems the world faces, we can defeat it by waving a fucking flag at it because we're British!

No it isnt, its a celebration of the anniversary of the end of a brutal war.

8 hours ago, TK421 said:

There will be a spike in coronavirus cases in about 5-10 days from everyone going outside at the same time.  Factor in messages from Boris that the lockdown is basically over.  I can't think of a better way to celebrate our victory as a nation than infecting each other with a deadly virus.  Anyone fancy a scone?

It worked in 1918!

• Like 1

Just now, AngryofTuebrook said:

Or (as Lurtzy said) spend the day reflecting on the horrible tragedies; and maybe think about committing to avoid the failures of the 20s and 30s which allowed Nazism and Fascism to triumph in Europe in the first place.

Yep

Just now, A Red said:

No it isnt, its a celebration of the anniversary of the end of a brutal war.

Really?  You don't think anyone in the media or on the right of British politics uses it?

Have you never heard anyone come up with shit like "The pubs didn't close during the Blitz, so why should we let coronavirus close them?" or "We defeated Hitler, we don't have to do what Michel Barnier wants" or shit like that?

1 hour ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

Anyone know what happened during wars 3-11 ?

Wow, how did you spot that? And the fact you took the time to comment on it, lost for words, if only I could spell them. 

Anyhow I have to agree with the above, its only a day, and if people want to celebrate it fuck all wrong with that, so those who don't like it they can always avoid it.

I doubt anyone will be interested in what some people off a football forum have to say anyway, apart from themselves, though I suppose it would be fine if it wasn't the UK

If those who took part or experienced it see fit to celebrate, or pay respects is fine by me. 

My ma was talking about this the other day. She was born in 1938 so can remember it quite clearly. 

Her uncle was killed, he was a navigator in a Lancaster bomber, so she has mixed emotions about the whole thing

I find it strange that to me it's just history but to her it's lived first hand experiences

• Upvote 1

A day of great celebration in the Gnasher household, bunting decked out, lashings of English cider and king Edward potatoes all thinly cut ready to make the centuries old British cullinary dish,  French fries and Pizza. 

This song will be playing at top volume and on repeat for an 8 hour duration starting at 12.00 hours 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, mattyq said:

My ma was talking about this the other day. She was born in 1938 so can remember it quite clearly. 

Her uncle was killed, he was a navigator in a Lancaster bomber, so she has mixed emotions about the whole thing

I find it strange that to me it's just history but to her it's lived first hand experiences

Was taking a while back about how when I was a kid in the 80s a lot of veterans would have still been in the workforce, you'd have had bus drivers and stuff who were at D Day. It's mad that.

3 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Was taking a while back about how when I was a kid in the 80s a lot of veterans would have still been in the workforce, you'd have had bus drivers and stuff who were at D Day. It's mad that.

Yeah, it's weird

My grandad was a squaddie and took part in D Day. He never ever talked about it even to my dad. When he died my dad sent off for his war records and medals and found out that he'd been all the way from Normandy to the bitter end in Germany and was seriously wounded with grenade shrapnel in his head which was never removed.

He worked in Tate & Lyle until it was closed in the 80s

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, mattyq said:

Yeah, it's weird

My grandad was a squaddie and took part in D Day. He never ever talked about it even to my dad. When he died my dad sent off for his war records and medals and found out that he'd been all the way from Normandy to the bitter end in Germany and was seriously wounded with grenade shrapnel in his head which was never removed.

He worked in Tate & Lyle until it was closed in the 80s

As a kid I worked in a British Legion club, and you knew a lot of those old fellahs had been through some terrible stuff. My generation have been pretty comfy really...so far.....