You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

This VE Day thing.

Yeah I get it. 75 years since allied troops defeated nazi tyranny and all that. But am I the only one not overly excited about celebrating the end of a war that killed 75 million people? I just can't bring myself to throw the bunting up and start cheering. It just doesn't put me in a celebratory mood. I feel I'll spend VE day largely on reflecting about what this horrendous species is capable of doing to one another more than anything else. 

• Upvote 8

I know what you mean, though while I'm all for commemoration it gets a bit much, I often think and talk about WW11as it's fascinating and interesting, for me, so I don't need to be reminded every year as it seems thats what happens, saturation from the media.

It happens with most events now though, over the top. 

There will be a spike in coronavirus cases in about 5-10 days from everyone going outside at the same time.  Factor in messages from Boris that the lockdown is basically over.  I can't think of a better way to celebrate our victory as a nation than infecting each other with a deadly virus.  Anyone fancy a scone?

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, TK421 said:

There will be a spike in coronavirus cases in about 5-10 days from everyone going outside at the same time.  Factor in messages from Boris that the lockdown is basically over.  I can't think of a better way to celebrate our victory as a nation than infecting each other with a deadly virus.  Anyone fancy a scone?

Tbf as much as Boris is a dick I think he's a million miles away from messaging that lockdown is over. Anyway that's  discussion for another thread. Point taken though. 

It should be a reminder to people not to elect sociopathic bastards or allow too few people to hold too much power. It should be a lesson in what happens when the media becomes propaganda for a party using nationalist and wartime metaphors to achieve their means. There should be lessons learnt from remembering not just spare a thought for the millions dead. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

It should be a reminder to people not to elect sociopathic bastards or allow too few people to hold too much power. It should be a lesson in what happens when the media becomes propaganda for a party using nationalist and wartime metaphors to achieve their means. There should be lessons learnt from remembering not just spare a thought for the millions dead. 

Yet here we are.

Just now, Bobby Hundreds said:

Indeed here we are. People don't care until they do care by then it's too late. 

I know two guys who are still alive that fought in the 2nd world war, I've incredible respect for both. I'm not rubbishing the idea of VE day. Seems weird to turn it into a tea party.

I don't disagree with you. My point was simply that all the mistakes humans make when electing nationalistic(in words only with the current shower) governments and people to whom conflict is good business are still being made. Instead of quiet contemplation and respect for past generations it will simply be an excuse for barbecues and piss ups.

I love the old boys and they deserve huge praise for what they did. Sadly like most things it's been hijacked by the right (ironically) and the right wing press which makes it all feel a bit cheap. 

It'd be good if someone did a book or film about how these same people tried to undermine that very war effort. The daily mail and its support for fascism, our royal family's own sinister links to it, and the Tory party's attempts to at first resist churchill (who was the choice of Atlee and his price for joining a government of national unity) and then spend much of the early war trying to undermine and replace him while pursuing a separate deal with Hitler.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Redder Lurtz said:

Yeah I get it. 75 years since allied troops defeated nazi tyranny and all that. But am I the only one not overly excited about celebrating the end of a war that killed 75 million people? I just can't bring myself to throw the bunting up and start cheering. It just doesn't put me in a celebratory mood. I feel I'll spend VE day largely on reflecting about what this horrendous species is capable of doing to one another more than anything else. 

Yes, much better if it dragged on a bit longer. 

• Downvote 2

They should show how these people have been treated for the last 75 years. Ignored and left to rot. 

At the same time do a documentary on Captain Tom and ask him why he thinks he needs to raise funds for the NHS. 

Wheel them out once a year, wave the flag, say how much we respect and care about them then ignore them for 364 days.

• Upvote 1

Is it about "celebrating" a "victory", or about commemorating the end of a war and its fallen?

If it's the latter, then isn't November 11 meant to be a catch-all for that sort of thing?

Remembrance Day (sometimes known informally as Poppy Day) is a memorial day observed in Commonwealth member states since the end of the First World War to remember the members of their armed forces who have died in the line of duty. 

On the other hand, if it's the celebration of a "victory" it should probably be fucked off - you'd have thought by now the notion that there are no "winners" in war might have been accepted.

Mind you, with Brexit rubber stamped, it will probably be commemorated in future with a fucking tickertape parade.

7 hours ago, Redder Lurtz said:

Spot on mate, my thoughts entirely.

33 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

God you're a twat! That's not what Lurtz was saying and you fucking know it, you're picking one line out of his post to try and point score! Have a fucking day off!

Which lines am I allowed to comment on you fucking crank?  

It’s the 75th anniversary of the end of the war.  It’s entirely possible by by the next big one there’ll be hardly anyone left who was there.  

if you don’t like it don’t join in.  I doubt they’ll miss you crying in a fucking corner anyway.  

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, easytoslip said:

I know what you mean, though while I'm all for commemoration it gets a bit much, I often think and talk about WW11as it's fascinating and interesting, for me, so I don't need to be reminded every year as it seems thats what happens, saturation from the media.

It happens with most events now though, over the top. 

Anyone know what happened during wars 3-11 ?

• Upvote 2

I’m not into all the patriotic nonsense and this year is really the first year that I’ve known or noticed any kind of ‘build up’ to it.  I usually see that it’s VE Day on the day itself and think “oh, right” and then get on with my life. I think that I’ve noticed it more in the news/on here this year and that’s mainly because of the lockdown and by extension the fact that I’m homeschooling the kids and there’s been little bits of work about it. 

Just been sent today’s topic/activity for Turdsette. Write a VE Day diary entry as someone from 1945 including a massive list of words including Hitler, blitz, ration, Churchill, ‘the front’, blackout and King George VI. The list goes on. How’s she meant to do that when all she’s ever heard about the war is a comedic five minute summary we saw once on the Horrible Histories show?

Am I supposed to teach her all about the war in Europe this morning so she can complete this writing activity in the afternoon? PISS OFF. 

“Today darling, we’re going to sit down and watch all 26 episodes of the epic 1973 series, ‘The World at War’ and then you can get on with your writing. You’re gonna love it!”

If celebrating VE day offends , bores or irritates you, heres an idea, dont get involved. Switch the TV over, close your curtains or find something else to do. Its 1 day, its really not a difficult thing to get through.

• Upvote 1