You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: That was the week that was (Apr 27 - May 4 2020)

theweekthatwas.jpg

Tuesday April 27:

Ah eh, Michael Robinson has passed away. I don’t remember much about him as a player. He was only here one season and I was only 10 or 11 at the time. The thing that stands out about him to me is that although he was only here a short time, you can tell how much of an impression the club had on him because he spoke about it as well as anybody. 

Souness was a good mate of his and he gave a heartfelt tribute to Robinson on Sky. He was getting quite emotional towards the end of it and you could see him struggling to keep it together. I then scrolled to the comments and it was mostly overseas United fans making cracks about it somehow being Pogba’s fault.

The fuck is wrong with people? I’m not just talking about United fans here, it’s people in general. Someone dies and people think it’s fine to start making stupid fucking tribal comments. Twitter is a cesspit, but it’s only a reflection of people in general.

In lighter news today, Big Nev said on twitter that Boris Johnson is ‘the Mike Walker of politics”. Bit harsh on arl Mike that, but we can all see where the big fella is coming from.

It’s mad how old rivalries can often be put to bed as soon as a player retires. Not Southall, as I always kind of liked him anyway, in a grudging kind of way. I didn’t know back when he was a player what a sound fella he was, but I liked him because he was such a great keeper and never gave me any reason to not like him, other than being so fucking good.

Peter Reid is another. I didn’t particularly like him but I respected him because of the way him and McMahon went to war with each other but always kept it sporting. There are quite a few others I hated though who I now think are somewhere ranging between alright and sound. 

Lampard is one. I think he’s alright but I fucking despised him in his Chelsea days. Ian Wright too. He was a knobhead when he was a player but I really like him these days. Proper sound fella. 

Then there's Gary Neville. I’m not sure I’d go quite as far as to say he’s ‘alright’ but I don’t actively dislike him anymore. The biggest about face I’ve done though is without doubt on Cantona. He’s fucking boss, I love him. It’s almost like he never even played for United now. When I look at him, I don’t see the collar turned up, arrogant fucking wanker who turned United around and inflicted years of misery on us. I see a sound fella and proper funny bastard who I'd love to spend time in his company.

Meanwhile, I saw this today. It’s from a few weeks ago but I never read it at the time because any time I see something Damien Commoli related on the forum or twitter it just makes me roll my eyes and keep scrolling. I saw a link on the forum today and didn’t realise what the article was about, but even though it was the usual waffle from Commoli justifying his mistakes, I’m glad I read it because of this little anecdote:

"I was talking to Arsene Wenger after Liverpool lost to Barcelona (in the Champions League semi-final last season) and asked him what he'd do. He said 'the first person I'd put on the teamsheet is Jordan Henderson because he is the soul of that team and will refuse to give up and could carry the team on his shoulders in the second leg'. That's exactly what happened." Add Wenger to the list of people who are fucking ace now that they aren’t competing against us.

Still, some cunts will always be cunts. Like Michael Ball, perhaps the bitterest of all bitter blues. He wants the season voided like the Dutch are thinking of doing. Course he does, I wouldn’t expect anything less from this fucking turd. He’s an utter embarrassment. I know some of our former players are a bit cringe, but do we have anyone as bad as him? Dean Saunders maybe, but other than that I’m struggling. Hamann too I suppose, but I’m not sure there is a more embarrassing twat out there than Michael “Klopp’s celebration showed how worried he is about Everton” Ball. Cunt.

Wednesday Apr 29:

The Anny Rd development is on hold for ‘at least’ a year. On one hand I get it. The financial situation in football is going to be uncertain for a while, plus we don’t know how long it will be before we’re allowed to go to games again. Even when we are allowed back, it might not be like it was before. Maybe it will be reduced capacity and social distancing?

So yeah, it makes sense to put the expansion on hold, but it would also make sense to do it now. It would cause the minimum disruption in terms of reducing capacity while the work is done, because they might actually get it finished before we’re allowed to play in front of crowds again.

Ultimately though, what the fuck do I know about it? It’s easy to say “do it now while there’s no footy” but there are probably all sorts of logistical reasons why that’s not feasible. What if there’s a second wave and another lockdown, and work has to be suspended on it?

This is just a teaser, click to view the full article

Please note that the Week that Was is only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• dave u pinned this topic
7 minutes ago, Dave D said:

I never had a problem with Ian Wright- always seemed to give his all for the cause. 

He was far too happy to play the clown when he started working in punditry and came across as a twat.

But listen to his dessert island discs podcast and the Colin Murray at home one and you can’t help have a different opinion of him. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

He was far too happy to play the clown when he started working in punditry and came across as a twat.

But listen to his dessert island discs podcast and the Colin Murray at home one and you can’t help have a different opinion of him. 

Given the wealth of twats in punditry never really found him offensive (less so than some of our ex players) 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Dave D said:

Given the wealth of twats in punditry never really found him offensive (less so than some of our ex players) 

I didn’t find him offensive, not in the slightest. Just shit. 

Maybe I shouldn’t mention it but it came across as though there was almost a racial element in the ‘type’ of his role on panels. 

• dave u unpinned this topic