You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

WiFi extenders / boosters

Karl_b

Anyone got any experience and recommendations? Our broadband is pretty quick but it lags a bit in the dining room, whicb I've taken over as my office. The Plusnet router is a few years old but seems ok when you're in the same room, I think I just need to extend the range a little. Running an ethernet cable through isn't an option, should I look to replace the router and go for a mesh system or go for a cheaper booster (there's some well reviewed Netgear ones in the £30-£50 range)?

These may be of no use to you because they’re not WiFi but I was recommended them by somebody on here. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-PA4010KIT-Powerline-Configuration-Required-UK/dp/B01BECPIMC

They allow you to have a wired connection in a different room without cables running all over the place and they’ve worked great for me. Connect one to your router, the other to the device you want online and press a little button to pair them up. Ethernet cables are included in the box. 

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke
3 hours ago, Karl_b said:

Anyone got any experience and recommendations? Our broadband is pretty quick but it lags a bit in the dining room, whicb I've taken over as my office. The Plusnet router is a few years old but seems ok when you're in the same room, I think I just need to extend the range a little. Running an ethernet cable through isn't an option, should I look to replace the router and go for a mesh system or go for a cheaper booster (there's some well reviewed Netgear ones in the £30-£50 range)?

I bought this one years ago and it is excellent for the price, also easy to set up. You might want to look around for the same make but a newer model. 

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Netgear-EX2700-100PES-Fast-Ethernet-universell-kompatibel/dp/B00NHLEP8M/ref=sr_1_3?crid=21PUFJJZI3KDI&dchild=1&keywords=n300+wlan+repeater&qid=1588427526&sprefix=N300+%2Caps%2C174&sr=8-3

• 1 month later...

Doing some work in the garage/garden and I found these, not sure if any good, a wifi extender built into the socket.  Just need a deep box and a simple swap for an existing socket.

https://www.toolstation.com/wifi-extender-socket-with-usb/p79887?gclid=CjwKCAjw_qb3BRAVEiwAvwq6Vqihv6mx9PnRzvoMiB5cfgm3O27y_jgTEIpKzHuOvehXD7vXv7H3CxoCfaMQAvD_BwE

79887.jpg

Found a review, reckons they work well;

https://professional-electrician.com/products/product-test-bg-wi-fi-extender-socket/

• Upvote 1

Thanks chaps, in the end we went with one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07NY41HW1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Ete7EbRBPE9N1

Really easy to set up, extends the range to the entire house and most of the garden, acts as the same network so no jumping between this and the main router and has increased speeds from 5-8mb to 35-40mb in my "home office". Well recommended as a good mid price option.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 05/08/2020 at 15:03, AngryofTuebrook said:

I got one that worked alright at first, but now every time I try to connect to it I just get "Checking network requirements" followed by "Can't connect to this network".  No clues given why it can't.

This appears to have righted itself for no apparent reason.

• 4 months later...

My internet has been doing my head in for a few months now, with loads of drop outs and certain areas of the house with a crap signal. Did a bit of research and decided to try a mesh system. I've already got quite a few smart devices and use Google home to control them so went with the Google Nest Wifi.

Only been using it for a couple of days now but it's spot on so far.

Really easy to setup, you just put your ISP router into modem mode and then install the Google router and additional point somewhere else in the house.

The point device doubles up as a speaker as well which is great.

My lads room has gone from 7mb connection to over 100mb by setting the new system up and placing the point in there. I've also created a family wifi profile which allows me to group his devices and limit access if required. It also lets you setup a guest network which can limit access to devices if required.

So far so good.

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/01/2021 at 16:47, Brownie said:

My internet has been doing my head in for a few months now, with loads of drop outs and certain areas of the house with a crap signal. Did a bit of research and decided to try a mesh system. I've already got quite a few smart devices and use Google home to control them so went with the Google Nest Wifi.

Really easy to setup, you just put your ISP router into modem mode and then install the Google router and additional point somewhere else in the house.

My lads room has gone from 7mb connection to over 100mb by setting the new system up and placing the point in there. I've also created a family wifi profile which allows me to group his devices and limit access if required. It also lets you setup a guest network which can limit access to devices if required.

So far so good.

I’ve got the BT wholehome discs, a mesh system is a decent investment if you are suffering dead spots.

Plus when you change internet providers you don’t even have to connect all your devices again, result.

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/01/2021 at 16:47, Brownie said:

So far so good.

Interesting. 

I've got a BT Smart Hub 2, which won't allow a modem mode, so I'm fucked. Otherwise I'd be very interested.  I'm loving the Google tech. My Pixel 3a is the best phone I've ever had. 

2 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Interesting. 

I've got a BT Smart Hub 2, which won't allow a modem mode, so I'm fucked. Otherwise I'd be very interested.  I'm loving the Google tech. My Pixel 3a is the best phone I've ever had. 

You don’t have to put your router in modem mode, it’s preferable only. You just need to connect one of the mesh system devices to the router via an Ethernet cable and connect all your personal devices to it. You should also forget the Wi-Fi connection of the BT Hub on your personal devices as well.

Contact BT and ask for a newer hub, that’s pretty old now.  Worse case, next time you  renew. 

2 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

In effect id have two modems running, but only pulling WiFi off the Google one?  Am I likely to see better WiFi coverage just doing this?

You will have one router running (BT Hub providing the internet) but two Wi-Fi signals being broadcast (BT Hub which you said you can’t switch off and the Mesh system). 

A mesh system will have multiple discs situated around your house so you will get a better reception around the whole of your house.