You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Nicol: Liverpool cannot just be given the title 

TLW

Steve Nicol does not believe that Liverpool should just be handed the title despite being well clear of their rivals.

The Reds were just two wins from claiming the Premier League title in their own right before the season was halted when it deemed unsafe to do so due to the coronavirus pandemic.

We have seen various leagues devising certain contingency plans or voiding their competition altogether.

France became the latest league to call time on their season and in doing so, awarded PSG the title as well as making other rulings when it came to European positions as well as promotion and relegation.

The Premier League has consistently said they have the mindset to finish the season, but there is no specific date for a restart as yet.

image.png

But Nicol believes the Reds should be made to win the title in the traditional fashion.

The Express reports the Liverpool legend as saying:

“No I don't [think Liverpool should be awarded the title].

“I think when everybody's clear to start playing then you see out the season, that's always been my stance.

“And actually, regardless of Liverpool, I think it's even more important for the relegation battles because if you're going to decide to give the title to Liverpool then clearly you're going to decide who comes up, who comes down, and the reasons behind that, which is never going to work.

“So personally I wouldn't give it to Liverpool, I think you see the season out, considering there's what, nine, 10 games of the season left."

Football is a game of vast opinions and former Tottenham and Wolves midfielder Jamie O’ Hara thinks the league should be expanded for next season.

“I think you make Liverpool champions, you have no relegation, Leeds and West Brom come up and five [teams] go down the next season.

“Imagine next season with Leeds and West Brom involved and all the teams fighting again - it will be brilliant.

“Alright, it's hard luck on teams like Fulham and Nottingham Forest who are in the play-offs, but you weren’t there after 75 per cent of the season, so let [Leeds and West Brom] go up and just don’t relegate the other teams.”

View full article

48 minutes ago, DalyanPete said:

Loved him as a player but fuck me he spouts some shite these days. Always wander if it's bitterness that he missed the wages of today.

He’s genuinely one of the worst pundits out there. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt given that he didn’t seem to be entertaining the idea that the season wouldn’t finish. 

If, on the other hand, he doesn’t think we should be champions in the event the season cannot continue, he can fuck off. He wouldn’t be the first player from a club’s golden period to have a bit of niggly resentment over a new generation emulating them.

29 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt given that he didn’t seem to be entertaining the idea that the season wouldn’t finish. 

If, on the other hand, he doesn’t think we should be champions in the event the season cannot continue, he can fuck off. He wouldn’t be the first player from a club’s golden period to have a bit of niggly resentment over a new generation emulating them.

Nah, like Hamann, he never has a good word for the club. If it wasnt for the fact both of them had distinguished playing careers here, virtually every Liverpool fan would have no time for them.

Constantly when players and journalists get asked about the season ending it always turns to Liverpool yet they always say  “there are more important things than Liverpool and the title there are relegation and promotion issues ...So if they’re more important fucking talk about them then.

Steve Nicol is far from a bitter blue.  He's just a shit pundit on paid troll duty for a media company whose primary audiences have soccer as their 3/4th sport. 

A while back I saw Craig Burley and nicol spend 5 mins discussing whether to have turnips or swede for dinner.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Stickman said:

Constantly when players and journalists get asked about the season ending it always turns to Liverpool yet they always say  “there are more important things than Liverpool and the title there are relegation and promotion issues ...So if they’re more important fucking talk about them then.

Spot on lad

8 hours ago, Rotpeter said:

Steve Nicol is far from a bitter blue.  He's just a shit pundit on paid troll duty for a media company whose primary audiences have soccer as their 3/4th sport. 

A while back I saw Craig Burley and nicol spend 5 mins discussing whether to have turnips or swede for dinner.

Funny as fuck and explains a lot

On 02/05/2020 at 08:50, DalyanPete said:

Loved him as a player but fuck me he spouts some shite these days. Always wander if it's bitterness that he missed the wages of today.

Nicol would have been crucified today - or worse, would have been some thick comedy Jimmy Bullard character. 

His notoriously terrible diet would have hammered his ability to make it at the top level nowadays too. 

Great player in his day, but if he’s bitter about missing out on footballers’ wages in the year 2020 then he’s a mug. 

• Downvote 1

19 hours ago, Ron B said:

Nicol would have been crucified today - or worse, would have been some thick comedy Jimmy Bullard character. 

His notoriously terrible diet would have hammered his ability to make it at the top level nowadays too. 

Great player in his day, but if he’s bitter about missing out on footballers’ wages in the year 2020 then he’s a mug. 

Apart from being a pathetic, shit pundit, that’s absolute bollocks. 

Nicol was world class. Could play either full back position, in midfield and even at CB on occasion. 

Which other defender do you know that’s scored a hat-trick? 

• Upvote 2

He was very good - brilliant even. But loads of really good players of the past wouldn’t translate to modern day (fairly sure Stanley Matthews wouldn’t have been still playing top flight football at age 50 if he’d been born in 1970, and his aloft approach to other player might not have translated too well either). 

I’m not saying Nicol couldn’t have made it nowadays; I’m saying that his terrible eating habits (notorious even in the days before proper nutrition was introduced to football) would have been a big problem. So he would have either had to make a fundamental change, or it would have hammered him. If he’s bitter about missing out on mega-money then he’s a fool, because he made a good living, whilst living the lifestyle he wanted to.

You’re right about his ability to midfield though - he was playing midfield when he scored that hat-trick...