You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Fletcher: Calling the Liverpool comeback against Barcelona was a exhilarating experience 

TLW

Darren Fletcher has described what it is like to call a stunning comeback after recalling his memories of Liverpool’s sensational win against Barcelona in the second leg of their semi final Champions League tie at Anfield last May.

As what now has become folklore, the Reds against all odds fought back from 3-0 down after the first leg to completely stun the Spanish giants without the injured star attacking duo of Mo Salah and Roberto Firmino while Andy Robertson was subbed off at half time.

The BT caller took us through the step by step thought process he had approaching the game via The Mirror and the 90 min podcast.

"So when we got there myself and Steve McManaman were commentating and we’d all worked in our own minds what could happen.

“We all agreed that Liverpool needed to score first. 

“Probably needed to go in 1-0 at half-time and stop Barca scoring.

“Then in the second half if they are attacking the Kop and get on a bit of a roll they get the next goal then Barca might go.

“We thought that because we had seen them go before against Roma, away the year before in similar circumstances.

“We kind of knew what might happen, but none of us were brave enough to go 'it will'.

“So when Origi scored early I remember shouting: “There is one back!” in the commentary and that was like here we go.

“And it just became this snowball rolling down a hill. And Barca had a spell midway through the first half where they needed to score, and they didn’t.”

Fletcher said the power of Anfield was in its true element come the second half.

“The second half was… as exhilarating an experience in a football ground for me as a commentator as I think I will ever experience.

“It is a special ground. 

“A lot of the grounds are special but I would always say to somebody 'if you ever get the chance to go and experience Anfield on a big night'.

“Because there is something different there. 

“There is a feeling there and I think that transmits itself into the players.”

Just like a player, Fletcher said he felt in the zone as the drama on the pitch kept eventuating. 

“You started to feel it, and you thought 'hang on a minute', Barcelona have got it all on to stay in.

“And it just rolled and rolled and then they scored. I had one of the fortunate moments as a commentator where you are just saying the right thing at the right time.”

image.png

One of his Fletcher’s favourite moments of the entire ninety minutes was instinctive play by Trent Alexander-Arnold which caught the Barca defence completely off guard for the key fourth goal.

“Trent Alexander-Arnold won the corner and I remember saying on the commentary. I was just making the point that he is such a mature footballer for his age.

“It seemed appropriate at that time because we’d seen his maturity to win the corner and then he took that to a completely different level to put that ball in to Origi quickly while Barca were getting themselves ready and that was that.

“We just kind of stood there in shock. 

“I mean Steve doesn't get too carried away because he’s won two Champions Leagues, so seeing a 4-0 win for Liverpool against Barca, he can beat that anyway.

“So kind of takes it in his stride, but I was just like 'wow' mouth open can somebody close my jaw.”

View full article