You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: That was the week that was (April 21-27 2020)

tlw content

theweekthatwas.jpg.c1fbcaffb0090e7b2d3f5068e60210dc.jpg

Tuesday April 21:

The Saudis are close to buying Newcastle. This is bad on so many levels. These cunts all need to fuck off and stop buying clubs just to try and ‘sportswash’ over the human rights issues in their countries. If Newcastle fans had anything about them they’d be protesting to stop it, but I won’t hold my breath. 

I honestly think that the only set of fans who would do anything to prevent their club being bought by fuckers like this are us. But then we seem to be the only ones with any kind of social conscience. Certainly as a collective anyway. I’m sure there are plenty of Geordies who are horrified about this but in terms of them doing anything about it, that’s not going to happen.

Other than Everton, I can’t think of a fanbase who would be worse if they were taken over by rule breaking, money no object, cheating cunts like these. You just know they’ll be at the first home game of the dressed dressed as Sheiks, the bad knobheads.

Wednesday Apr 22:

Stories floating round today about Jurgen and his missus and how they’ve been supporting the Formby community. Ula reportedly gave the staff in Waitrose £50 each just as a thank you for the work they’re doing, while Jurgen is meant to have given Tescos a big wedge of cash and told them to use it towards the bills of any NHS staff shopping in there. 

He was also applauding ambulances as they passed him on the road, which made me smile because I can picture that vividly. The same ‘hands above the head’ clap he does when the lads have put a good move together and nearly scored. He’s just ace isn’t he.

The best manager in the world and yet he's an even better human.

This is just a teaser, click to view the full article

Please note that the Week that Was is only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 3

• dave u pinned this topic

I agree on the Keita stuff.  You get mad bastards on both sides of the fence but I do think a lot of the negative comments about him tend to be in response to the absolute batshit positive stuff that you mentioned.  He just doesn’t suit the system we play and it’s impacted on his confidence.  If we want to win more trophies then why would we bother trying to play him into form season after season when we’ve got ready made players with a proven formula that’s working.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, The Guest said:

I agree on the Keita stuff.  You get mad bastards on both sides of the fence but I do think a lot of the negative comments about him tend to be in response to the absolute batshit positive stuff that you mentioned.  He just doesn’t suit the system we play and it’s impacted on his confidence.  If we want to win more trophies then why would we bother trying to play him into form season after season when we’ve got ready made players with a proven formula that’s working.

I was hugely excited when we signed him thought he could explode into English football to the point of winning POTY. I’m no stat nerd, mind; this was based solely on applying the eye to test to his performances in Germany and putting them in the context of how we play. 

That said, my view now is that he’s been a massive disappointment and I doubt he’ll ever show a consistent run of top form for us. If we decided to move him on for a decent fee, I’d be totally sound with that.  

However, to answer your question, the reason why we’d bother to keep playing/rehabilitating him is two-fold: firstly he’s a massive investment (our third highest ever transfer fee) upon which we do not want to take a loss; hence every chance of realising his talent should be taken.

Secondly, Klopp (who has the best transfer market record of anyone around and certainly at Liverpool) saw something he liked in the player and, in the context of his equally impressive record of improving players, we should back that judgement. 

In short, what is the benefit of giving up now? If we were cashing in to sign Mbappé (for example), I’d be all in. If not though, why we would we not bother to persist with him?

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Paul said:

I was hugely excited when we signed him thought he could explode into English football to the point of winning POTY. I’m no stat nerd, mind; this was based solely on applying the eye to test to his performances in Germany and putting them in the context of how we play. 

That said, my view now is that he’s been a massive disappointment and I doubt he’ll ever show a consistent run of top form for us. If we decided to move him on for a decent fee, I’d be totally sound with that.  

However, to answer your question, the reason why we’d bother to keep playing/rehabilitating him is two-fold: firstly he’s a massive investment (our third highest ever transfer fee) upon which we do not want to take a loss; hence every chance of realising his talent should be taken.

Secondly, Klopp (who has the best transfer market record of anyone around and certainly at Liverpool) saw something he liked in the player and, in the context of his equally impressive record of improving players, we should back that judgement. 

In short, what is the benefit of giving up now? If we were cashing in to sign Mbappé (for example), I’d be all in. If not though, why we would we not bother to persist with him?

I think it’s daft to talk of Klopp’s transfer record to be honest.  There’s clearly a lot more to it than he saw something he liked.  In his time here we’ve signed players he will almost definitely have watched a lot of and already had his own opinion like Van Dijk but we’ve also signed players like Robertson who I reckon he won’t have even heard of and Salah who he admitted he had to be convinced to sign.  We have no idea where Keita fits into that.

Either way Klopp only tends to give up on players after a long time.  We seen him stick with Moreno and Karius well past their sell by date.  It’s what makes him the man he is and the reason he the team is so happy and performs the way it does.  For that reason I can’t see him going anywhere.  Unless a bid somewhere close to what we paid came in and the club made the decision for him then Klopp will give him plenty of more chances.

In terms of what benefits do we get of giving up on him now it’s easy.  He doesn’t take the minutes of other players who are less injury prone and confidence battered and we develop someone else instead.

I don't think there's any chance Klopp will cut his losses yet. Another season and then see where we're at.

That said, if he did decide to give up on him it wouldn't be unjustified.

I have to admit that if the reports of Naby not speaking English are true then that annoys me. At the risk of sounding a bit 'yer da' here, he's been here two years and knew 12 months earlier he was joining us. There's no excuse for that. You learn the language so it makes adaptation easier.

Not learning is just fucking lazy really, considering the amount of time off they have.

10 minutes ago, dave u said:

I don't think there's any chance Klopp will cut his losses yet. Another season and then see where we're at.

That said, if he did decide to give up on him it wouldn't be unjustified.

I have to admit that if the reports of Naby not speaking English are true then that annoys me. At the risk of sounding a bit 'yer da' here, he's been here two years and knew 12 months earlier he was joining us. There's no excuse for that. You learn the language so it makes adaptation easier.

Not learning is just fucking lazy really, considering the amount of time off they have.

He will never get a better opportunity than now to get on the Rosetta Stone English - he should be fluent by the time the team are back in training!

• Upvote 1

Werner would have been great for us 2/3 seasons ago when we were more into Heavy Metal/Gegenpress. Not sure he's got the right attributes for us now when everyone, inclduing City, are wary of even coming out of their own half. He likes space to run into - we don't get so much of that now.

I thought keita was brilliant in his breakthrough season with Leipzig. He and Ox give us something Gini and Hendo don't, which is the ability to break the lines, through either dribbling (Keita), or power/pace (Ox). I watched the Leicester away game again the other day, Keita played really well for 70 minutes - as did everyone that night. There's more to come, and next season, if and when that happens is crucial - he really needs to kick on. If he continues to be injury-prone and unreliable, then it's deffo time to get shut.

Finally, an arl arse comment - as a kid, all I ever wanted to do was go out and kick a ball. Doing it on a computer would have been a very distant second. Watching somebody else playing footy on a computer......jeez.

• Upvote 1

• dave u unpinned this topic