You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Murphy: I regret leaving Liverpool

TLW

Danny Murphy looks back on his Liverpool career with some regret admitting that it was a mistake to leave the club when he did.

Murphy played a important part in the cup success of the Reds during the Gerard Houllier era and in all made 246 appearances for the club over two separate stints scoring 44 goals in that time.

The boyhood Red left for Charlton on the verge of the 2004/5 season after being informed by new manager Rafa Benitez that he would had no future at the club. in the team.

At the time Rafa said of the situation:

“I told him I didn't think he'd play a lot of matches. 

“He said he felt it would be better if he talked to other clubs."

The Mirror via the BBC reported the former England international recalling the happy memories and then when it all changed for him.

“I feel very blessed. I feel lucky to have played for the team I supported and loved growing up. It's all I ever wanted to do.

“To win trophies playing for the team you love as well is very surreal. 

“It's probably only when you look back now in hindsight that you realise the enormity of it.

“The only thing for me of course is that the year I left they won the Champions League. 

“Maybe I could have stayed and fought a bit harder under Rafa.”

image.png   image.png

Murphy said that being told he was no longer wanted was naturally a big blow, but he needed to quickly adapt and look to the next phase of his career.

However he says it didn’t take away from the fact with how many happy memories he had at the club.

“It was a difficult decision for me at the time because I was so used to playing and I loved playing. 

“He made it clear to me more than once that that wasn't going to be the case, so I had a difficult choice to make in a short period.

“People say they have no regrets. 

“Well, I do, I regret not staying, but life is what it is. 

“It was a wonderful seven years for me and being part of that Liverpool family is still very special to me.”

View full article

30 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Decent player. Can’t stand him though. 

Exactly this. Murphy was a very good player for us, but ever since he left he's become this bitter Brexit-type Owl-worshipping cunt. He looks weird on MOTD too, either because his head is massive or he has tiny shoulders.

• Upvote 1

Met him at a charity football match here where I live a couple of years ago.  He made time for every single fan who wanted a pic, autograph or to chat, whereas the majority of the rest (Heskey included) couldn't get away quick enough.

I know he blabbers a lot of shite on tv but he made my nephew's day on that occasion, and a lot of other kids too.

• Upvote 5

39 minutes ago, scudger99 said:

Met him at a charity football match here where I live a couple of years ago.  He made time for every single fan who wanted a pic, autograph or to chat, whereas the majority of the rest (Heskey included) couldn't get away quick enough.

I know he blabbers a lot of shite on tv but he made my nephew's day on that occasion, and a lot of other kids too.

Always like reading/hearing things like that. Soundest footballers I’ve met are Kenny Dalglish, Kevin Keegan, Ian Wright, David Seaman and Alan Ball.

• Upvote 3

47 minutes ago, scudger99 said:

He must have been in a good mood or been warned about being a cock. Trust me, he is a piece of shit. 

9 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Best remembered for his goals against united. He's another along with coutinho and crouchie who's admitted he should have stayed at Anfield instead of moving on.

Torres did and all didn’t he ? Not that Murphy deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as him like 

You can't regret something that's not within your own control.  Murphy didn't leave Liverpool, he was deemed surplus to requirements and sold.  The decision was taken out of his hands.  He can lament that choice, made by someone else, but regret is not the apposite emotion in this instance.  Murphy would do well to remember that, it would show some humility which is something he seems to lack when he reflects upon his own career, which is a regular thing for him. He can barely get through his stint on MOTD or Talksport without talking about how things were when he was playing.  He has a lofty opinion of himself. 

Was one of the few  who would try a forward pass during the end days of Houllier's time. It often didn't come off and the crowd would get on his back, but at least he had the balls to try. He was a limited footballer but made the very best of his abilities.

42 minutes ago, Red_or_Dead said:

Wasn't he our top scorer in 03/04?  Was surprised but not bothered when he was sold.  Isn't he also bankrupt?

Financially or emotionally?

I seem to remember a bit of "bloody foreigners" stuff from him about Rafa, despite working under Houllier?  "Should have been an English manager, etc?

Anyway, will always have a place in folklore due to all the winning goals at Old Trafford, but as someone else said, an average to good player in an average to good side.

Guest Alex_K

He was an OK journeyman with a few notable moments. The kind of middling midfielder who'd be bent over puffing after 30 minutes against our current side, wondering what kind of Space Jam style footballing universe he'd wandered into. Fulham was his level.