You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Molby or Alonso?

Tony Moanero

Molby or Alonso?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Molby or Alonso?

11 hours ago, Stickman said:

Molby for me. For that pass to Rushie in 86 alone.

.Oh and this goal v Norwich 

Good watching that especially seeing that one against Southampton, I mentioned it in some other thread as its when I'd not long moved here and we went up for that semi, I was right about it being Spackmans first game, he's from down here apparently.well Romsey. 

I loved Alonso as a player, and I never really watched Molby... but I feel with Alonso his brilliant last season really painted an overly rosy picture of his career with us. People tend to forget the two frankly underwhelming years preceding it.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, aRdja said:

I loved Alonso as a player, never really watched Molby... but I feel with Alonso his brilliant last season really painted an overly rosy picture of his career with is. People tend to forget the two underwhelming years preceding it.

It also helps to remember how brilliant he was at Real and Bayern too. I don't remember his ever being underwhelming but he did have some good and bad performances like every footballer does.

1 hour ago, aRdja said:

I loved Alonso as a player, and I never really watched Molby... but I feel with Alonso his brilliant last season really painted an overly rosy picture of his career with us. People tend to forget the two frankly underwhelming years preceding it.

I can't remember him being underwhelming either.  He had a few ineffectual games, but we had a pretty good return on him overall.

8 minutes ago, stringvest said:

I can't remember him being underwhelming either.  He had a few ineffectual games, but we had a pretty good return on him overall.

The two seasons preceding his last he was pretty mediocre IMO. Gerrard personally requested Rafa to get Barry in in his place, and consequently Rafa tried to get rid of him, but neither Arsenal nor Juve thought he’d be worth the asking price.

1 minute ago, aRdja said:

The two seasons pre ending his last he was pretty mediocre IMO. Gerrard personally requested Rafa to get Barry in in his place, and consequently Rafa tried to get rid of him, but neither Arsenal nor Juve thought he’d be worth the asking price.

ah, I didn't know all that.  

Recency bias in football has always been a thing.  You are only as good/bad as your last game or season.

There's a reason no one of note wanted to buy Alonso when he was made available for sale in 2008. He had been average for 2 seasons.  There was no way we were selling Gerrard or Mascherano, yet we needed to do something to challenge for the title. So Alonso was deemed that one as he'd been average for 2 seasons.

Anyway, he did well the following season.  We won nothing.  He left and went to Madrid where he managed a grand total of 1 league title in 6 seasons.  1.

The shit and useless Gareth Barry instead went to Man City and played 34 of the 38 games in being the "lynchpin" in winning his league title in the 11-12 season. A season he finished 2nd in their player of the year poll. Yet Liverpool fans will tell you he's shite. All because it was a Barry v's Alonso thing.  Personally I'd have liked both of them, but there you go.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, aRdja said:

Pretty widely reported at the time from memory.

It was speculated on at the time, but ultimately turned out to be bollocks.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dreamteamfc.com/c/news-gossip/321429/steven-gerrard-gareth-barry-liverpool/amp/

Speaking on BT Sport, the former Liverpool captain said he didn’t think Barry was an adequate successor to the Spanish maestro, saying: “He [Rafael Benitez] wanted to move Xabi on and bring in Gareth.

Now, for me that wasn’t the right move, although I’m a big fan of Gareth Barry.

“I’d had rather had him in to play alongside Xabi, because I think they could’ve worked together.

Gerrard also said Benitez – who’s currently gaffer at Newcastle – should have tried harder to keep the World Cup winning midfielder.

“I don’t think it was the right move from a Liverpool point of view to replace Xabi with Gareth,” continued Gerrard.

The fans loved Xabi, he’s a world-class player, and for me, Rafa should have been doing everything to keep him and not have him move on.”

41 minutes ago, belarus said:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dreamteamfc.com/c/news-gossip/321429/steven-gerrard-gareth-barry-liverpool/amp/

Speaking on BT Sport, the former Liverpool captain said he didn’t think Barry was an adequate successor to the Spanish maestro, saying: “He [Rafael Benitez] wanted to move Xabi on and bring in Gareth.

“I’d had rather had him in to play alongside Xabi, because I think they could’ve worked together.

Gerrard also said Benitez – who’s currently gaffer at Newcastle – should have tried harder to keep the World Cup winning midfielder.

“I don’t think it was the right move from a Liverpool point of view to replace Xabi with Gareth,” continued Gerrard.

The fans loved Xabi, he’s a world-class player, and for me, Rafa should have been doing everything to keep him and not have him move on.”

He would say that....

3 hours ago, aRdja said:

The two seasons preceding his last he was pretty mediocre IMO. Gerrard personally requested Rafa to get Barry in in his place, and consequently Rafa tried to get rid of him, but neither Arsenal nor Juve thought he’d be worth the asking price.

Lol.

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, belarus said:

He’s definitely changed his tune understandably.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/blog/name/93/post/1839824/headline

"I want Gareth Barry to become a Liverpool player," he said at the time. "He's a good player. I want Liverpool to be as strong as possible and Barry will certainly make us stronger... I know all about Gareth, I am good friends with him off the pitch and I am desperate for us to sign him."

14 minutes ago, aRdja said:

"I want Gareth Barry to become a Liverpool player," he said at the time. "He's a good player. I want Liverpool to be as strong as possible and Barry will certainly make us stronger... I know all about Gareth, I am good friends with him off the pitch and I am desperate for us to sign him."

So he didn't personally ask Rafa to move Xabi on and replace him with Barry then. 

Thanks. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, aRdja said:

The article I posted quotes him as saying he wanted him here. You said he went to Rafa and asked him to replace Alonso with Barry. That, in my opinion, and the opinion of Gerrard himself, is bollocks. He never wanted rid of Alonso.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/steven-gerrard-blames-stupid-rafa-benitez-entirely-for-decision-to-sell-former-liverpool-team-mate-10499820.html%3famp

"He was, by some distance, the best central midfielder I ever played alongside.

"It was a disastrous decision to sell Alonso, and especially for just £30 million — which looks a snip now when you reflect on all he has achieved subsequently, both at Real Madrid and Bayern Munich and with Spain, winning the Euros and the World Cup.

"I blame Rafa entirely for the loss of Alonso. He could still have been playing for Liverpool six or seven years after he left in 2009."