You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Molby or Alonso?

Tony Moanero

Molby or Alonso?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Molby or Alonso?

Molby for me. Anyone who can neck about 5 bottles of Champagne in The Coconut Grove on a Friday night, shag a couple of mingers and turn out Saturday and get a result is pretty much the Professional. . ..... Albeit he pretty much stayed in the centre circle the whole game, he still played a mean 40 yarder or 2.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

So he didn't personally ask Rafa to move Xabi on and replace him with Barry then. 

Thanks. 

12 hours ago, belarus said:

The article I posted quotes him as saying he wanted him here. You said he went to Rafa and asked him to replace Alonso with Barry. That, in my opinion, and the opinion of Gerrard himself, is bollocks. He never wanted rid of Alonso.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/steven-gerrard-blames-stupid-rafa-benitez-entirely-for-decision-to-sell-former-liverpool-team-mate-10499820.html%3famp

"He was, by some distance, the best central midfielder I ever played alongside.

"It was a disastrous decision to sell Alonso, and especially for just £30 million — which looks a snip now when you reflect on all he has achieved subsequently, both at Real Madrid and Bayern Munich and with Spain, winning the Euros and the World Cup.

"I blame Rafa entirely for the loss of Alonso. He could still have been playing for Liverpool six or seven years after he left in 2009."

Lol.  People still get so upset over this. It's a pair of fucking footballers lads. They're not your girlfriends. 

Also, for every walk of life, don't believe everything you read in the press.  

1 hour ago, JohnnyH said:

Lol.  People still get so upset over this. It's a pair of fucking footballers lads. They're not your girlfriends. 

Also, for every walk of life, don't believe everything you read in the press.  

Unless they’re supporting what you think or believe it seems. And for your info, there’s extracts from his book in those articles if you’d bothered clicking on them.

Who’s upset? This is a discussion forum isn’t it? The statements are factually incorrect. It’s a misrepresentation of our former captain, talisman and one of our greats. I’d defend it if I heard other team’s fans trotting this shit out, so when it’s our own fans saying it, then it’s even worse. It’s blue nose taxi driver type stuff. 

9 minutes ago, belarus said:

Who’s upset? This is a discussion forum isn’t it? The statements are factually incorrect. It’s a misrepresentation of our former captain, talisman and one of our greats. I’d defend it if I heard other team’s fans trotting this shit out, so when it’s our own fans saying it, then it’s even worse. It’s blue nose taxi driver type stuff. 

How do you know they are factually incorrect?  Because Gerrard said they were?  Maybe he doesn't want to be associated with what became a mistake (although we've no idea how good Barry could have been here.  He was certainly a very good footballer despite comments here).  Gerrard wanted Curbuishly as manager don't forget.  He's not the oracle. He can makes mistakes.  He may be manipulating the truth a bit.  He could of course be 100% honest.  All I'm saying is don't believe everything you read just because it's from someone you like or written in a bloody autobiography.

As an aside, now that Gerrard has 100% said he wanted Barry, but to play with Alonso, I wonder who he wanted dropped between him, Xabi and Mascherano?  This was before he ended up playing as a 10, so it wasn't that.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, dave u said:

All logic and reason goes out of the window for Johnny when Alonso is mentioned. He becomes even more irrational and obnoxious than usual!

I think that's a bit harsh Dave?

I wrote :

There's a reason no one of note wanted to buy Alonso when he was made available for sale in 2008. He had been average for 2 seasons.  There was no way we were selling Gerrard or Mascherano, yet we needed to do something to challenge for the title. So Alonso was deemed that one as he'd been average for 2 seasons.

Anyway, he did well the following season.  We won nothing.  He left and went to Madrid where he managed a grand total of 1 league title in 6 seasons.  1.

The shit and useless Gareth Barry instead went to Man City and played 34 of the 38 games in being the "lynchpin" in winning his league title in the 11-12 season. A season he finished 2nd in their player of the year poll. Yet Liverpool fans will tell you he's shite. All because it was a Barry v's Alonso thing.  Personally I'd have liked both of them, but there you go.

I don't think any of that is irrational, and especially not obnoxious.  I think your out of order saying that to be honest.  No one ever seems to want to answer what  think are genuine comments above.  Why is that? They can't be nonsense because loads of people think them.

It'd be nice to get some genuine comments.  Especially about Barry.  The idea he was garbage is rubbish 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

I think we can all agree that Poulsen was shite but was he as shite as Daio.

i think its a close call but i think you would have to try really hard to beat Daio in shiteness

27 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

How do you know they are factually incorrect?  Because Gerrard said they were?  Maybe he doesn't want to be associated with what became a mistake (although we've no idea how good Barry could have been here.  He was certainly a very good footballer despite comments here).  Gerrard wanted Curbuishly as manager don't forget.  He's not the oracle. He can makes mistakes.  He may be manipulating the truth a bit.  He could of course be 100% honest.  All I'm saying is don't believe everything you read just because it's from someone you like or written in a bloody autobiography.

As an aside, now that Gerrard has 100% said he wanted Barry, but to play with Alonso, I wonder who he wanted dropped between him, Xabi and Mascherano?  This was before he ended up playing as a 10, so it wasn't that.  

Im not saying he’s the oracle, I’m more likely to take the word of Gerrard, who I hold in high esteem from his time here, than red top press outfits and rumours flying about, though. You seem to be suggesting that they are equally as reliable as someone’s autobiography or even a direct quote. It’s not something I’d imagine he feels the need to lie about.

Also, I have issues with Rafa’s supposed involvement in what you are suggesting. I don’t for one minute think Rafa would buy and sell players on the say so of his current playing squad. I also don’t imagine he would allow misrepresentations to be made about himself in the public domain either. We all know he doesn’t suffer fools or tolerate lies and PR stunts.

In regards to your aside, why would this be before Stevie was playing in the 10? It was all going on in 2008 - well into his duet with Torres.

2 hours ago, JohnnyH said:

I think that's a bit harsh Dave?

I wrote :

There's a reason no one of note wanted to buy Alonso when he was made available for sale in 2008. He had been average for 2 seasons.  There was no way we were selling Gerrard or Mascherano, yet we needed to do something to challenge for the title. So Alonso was deemed that one as he'd been average for 2 seasons.

Anyway, he did well the following season.  We won nothing.  He left and went to Madrid where he managed a grand total of 1 league title in 6 seasons.  1.

The shit and useless Gareth Barry instead went to Man City and played 34 of the 38 games in being the "lynchpin" in winning his league title in the 11-12 season. A season he finished 2nd in their player of the year poll. Yet Liverpool fans will tell you he's shite. All because it was a Barry v's Alonso thing.  Personally I'd have liked both of them, but there you go.

I don't think any of that is irrational, and especially not obnoxious.  I think your out of order saying that to be honest.  No one ever seems to want to answer what  think are genuine comments above.  Why is that? They can't be nonsense because loads of people think them.

It'd be nice to get some genuine comments.  Especially about Barry.  The idea he was garbage is rubbish 

Hahaha kinell mate, settle down. I hadn't even read what you'd said in this thread, I just saw your last post and chimed in just because I always enjoy yanking your chain about Xabi!

Couldn't possibly disagree more about Alonso 'being average' for two seasons but I have no desire to get into that debate again. I may be bored in this lockdown, but I'm not THAT bored!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Alonso was a World Class player. 

Gareth Barry was enver a World Class player. 

Gerrard also never demanded Rafa sell Alonso and get Barry. 

These are the facts of the case. 

They're your opinions.

I agree with all of them. But they're still your opinions.

1 hour ago, dave u said:

Hahaha kinell mate, settle down. I hadn't even read what you'd said in this thread, I just saw your last post and chimed in just because I always enjoy yanking your chain about Xabi!

Couldn't possibly disagree more about Alonso 'being average' for two seasons but I have no desire to get into that debate again. I may be bored in this lockdown, but I'm not THAT bored!

Fair enough. Just thought it was a bit strong when I was trying to be even handed. Weirdly, the fact you didn’t read my post actually makes me fine with it. 

• Upvote 1

Always found this debate weird. I’ve always wanted to have an actual grown up forum conversation about it without the nonsense* that always gets brought up as “fact”. I try every now again (more fool me) but it just doesn’t seem possible. 

Oddly enough whenever this conversation had come up in the pub around the time, common ground was found very quickly. I guess that’s the issue with footy forums - you can’t have a conversation. 

nonsense (in my view) = Alonso was always great. Barry was shite. Rafa was 100% wrong to consider selling him in 2008. Alonso was right to flounce a year later when Rafa wanted him to stay. Money was never an issue. Etc etc. Etc. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

Always found this debate weird. I’ve always wanted to have an actual grown up forum conversation about it without the nonsense* that always gets brought up as “fact”. I try every now again (more fool me) but it just doesn’t seem possible. 

Oddly enough whenever this conversation had come up in the pub around the time, common ground was found very quickly. I guess that’s the issue with footy forums - you can’t have a conversation. 

nonsense (in my view) = Alonso was always great. Barry was shite. Rafa was 100% wrong to consider selling him in 2008. Alonso was right to flounce a year later when Rafa wanted him to stay. Money was never an issue. Etc etc. Etc. 

Put a sock in it now mate. You're going on. 

19 minutes ago, stringvest said:

good thing too.  How's the work situation J?  

Weirdly still in a job. Wife obviously still out of work, but I’m still on full pay, and busy. However, once we get past May I know I’m definitely getting a pay cut, but so far no talk of redundancy. Fingers crossed. 

• 2 weeks later...

Seems the best thread to post but this is not a xabi vs jan decision for me. Partly due to to the development of the game there’s no way you can make a comparison in my view. I loved Xabi but big Jan was the first LFC footballer I remember who could treat the ball as his plaything, either foot no matter. We all know know he was no athlete but first loves die hard - some of his touch and passing were breathtaking and I was lucky to see it

• Upvote 1