You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Molby or Alonso?

Tony Moanero

Molby or Alonso?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Molby or Alonso?

Didn't really see enough of Jan, by the time I was really starting to get a grip of football he was already injury prone and carrying even more weight. You could still see the odd moments of magic. 

So I'd go with Xabi, who was generally very good,. Though I do think he had a average spell that most fans are just happy to overlook. At his peak though with Mascherano and Gerrard as the 10. 

Would love to see those three with our front three or add Torres in there now

Thing is he never could cement a place in the team or stay fit enough. 33 caps and only 292 games in 11 seasons tells the story. Think in them 11 seasons he only played in over 30 games 4 of them. 

The one that got away though was Michael Laudrup. Fuck me imagine if that happened. Though he would only ever have stayed 2/3 years

Molby.

After Xmas in the double season he almost single handed grabbed the team by the scruff and dragged it to the title. There was a game at Spurs in the snow and ice where he was immense. We were shite and all over the place, he took over and won us the game.

Plus, I remember a midweek game as a kid, in the cup vs United where he not only scored both, but when Whiteside was being his usual cunty self, Molby ran half the length of the field and right in front of the Kop shouted "eh you, fuck off" in his face. Whiteside shit himself and was anonymous after.

• Upvote 2

Molby, just. Xabi was a majestic footballer who was very influential in our best moments under Rafa, but Molby had the pressure of effectively being Souness' replacement. He got over that hurdle, won over the doubters, helped us to multiple trophies, stuck around for over a decade, and must be the most Scouse-sounding foreigner on the planet!

Michael Laudrup is the one player that got away. That late 80s side was magic but he would have taken it to another level. Beardsley was ace for us but Laudrup was a world class footballer.

Alonso, with the best defensive midfielder in the world, and the best all round ball playing midfielder in the world aorund him, still couldn't get us a league title.

It's Molby by an absolute fucking mile.

NB - While this will no doubt be coloured by my view that Alonso is a snidey horrible cunt, I'm pretty confident I'd think this way if I wanked over pictures of him like so many of you do.  I think there's a recency thing here like happens in so many cases.  Molby was amazing. Could pass better than Alonso and had more to his game.  Xabi isn't scoring that goal against Man Utd like Jan did, for example.

38 minutes ago, Trumo said:

Michael Laudrup is the one player that got away. That late 80s side was magic but he would have taken it to another level. Beardsley was ace for us but Laudrup was a world class footballer.

Better than Jan, Alonso, and all that lot put together.  The finest, most elegant, ball player I've ever seen.  Perfection.

14 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

Alonso, with the best defensive midfielder in the world, and the best all round ball playing midfielder in the world aorund him, still couldn't get us a league title.

It's Molby by an absolute fucking mile.

NB - While this will no doubt be coloured by my view that Alonso is a snidey horrible cunt, I'm pretty confident I'd think this way if I wanked over pictures of him like so many of you do.  I think there's a recency thing here like happens in so many cases.  Molby was amazing. Could pass better than Alonso and had more to his game.  Xabi isn't scoring that goal against Man Utd like Jan did, for example.

So wrong to say Molby by a mile. If you think Molby then fine,thats your opinion,but however you form an opinion the comparison is close by anybody's standards. Also,McMahon was Souness direct replacement while Molby was a mixture of a ball playing midfielder and streak of hardman in him. Molby was actually a mixture of his two central midfield rivals,McMahon and Whelan and this made him invaluable. He also had a successful stint as centre half too. I respect you think its Molby,I went for Alonso,but its a close decision for me.

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

So wrong to say Molby by a mile. If you think Molby then fine,thats your opinion,but however you form an opinion the comparison is close by anybody's standards. Also,McMahon was Souness direct replacement while Molby was a mixture of a ball playing midfielder and streak of hardman in him. Molby was actually a mixture of his two central midfield rivals,McMahon and Whelan and this made him invaluable. He also had a successful stint as centre half too. I respect you think its Molby,I went for Alonso,but its a close decision for me.

Fair point, I'm in EU land.  Molby by a kilometre.