You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Collymore, Baros or Cisse

Bjornebye

Collymore, Baros or Cisse   

70 members have voted

1. 1. Collymore, Baros or Cisse

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Collymore for me. The better striker out of the 3 by a mile. Shame he was such a massive fucking bellend. 

The other two did my head in. 

Yes mate Stan was a good footballer, such a shame that it went to pot.

What’s the question?

Collymore was without even the slightest doubt the most talented of these three by a mile. Without doubt.

Baros was my favourite of the three.

Cisse was a likeable lad but an enormous frustration to watch and ultimately quite a large flop. Still feel greater fondness to him than Collymore though.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

What’s the question?

Collymore was without even the slightest doubt the most talented of these three by a mile. Without doubt.

Baros was my favourite of the three.

Cisse was a likeable lad but an enormous frustration to watch and ultimately quite a large flop. Still feel greater fondness to him than Collymore though.

Who was better 

Colly more and it's not close. Far more talented than the others and with the knowledge now of some of his mental health issues it probably explains why he never really lived up to his forfilled his potential. 

His partnership with Robbie was lethal. 

• Upvote 1

I used to have a season ticket at my local team, Southend United. On Collymore’s debut I genuinely got goosebumps when I saw his turn of pace. He had the lot...pace, skill and could strike the ball well with both feet. If he had any weakness it was probably his heading. He scored some incredible goals and, being young and impressionable, he became my favourite player.

When we signed him for £8.5m I was so unbelievably excited. It’s a shame things didn’t work out as he had all the attributes to become one of our best. 

Still one of my favourite ever players.

• Upvote 3

Collymore and Fowler along with Mcmanaman were incredible together.

If we had a keeper that could catch crosses and better defenders they’d have won trophies.

both Baros and Cisse helped us win no. 5 but as players didn’t have the talent Collymore had. 

Apparently when we signed Collymore, Roy Evans saw him as someone who could potentially be a Ronaldo. I genuinely think English talent wise he gets undermentioned as someone who didn't live up to it. Had everything, pace, strength, dribbling, genuinely 2 footed.

Just nowhere near it mentally

Went with Baros because like many others on here I had him to be top scorer at Euro 2004 at 50/1. 

Collymore was probably a fair bit better than either.

Cisse is probably easily dismissed but he played his part in Istanbul and in the FA Cup final the year after. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, etho said:

Apparently when we signed Collymore, Roy Evans saw him as someone who could potentially be a Ronaldo. I genuinely think English talent wise he gets undermentioned as someone who didn't live up to it. Had everything, pace, strength, dribbling, genuinely 2 footed.

Just nowhere near it mentally

It's interesting you say that because when I was posting yesterday I was thinking that he was basically a very poor man's Ronaldo.

It’s clearly an unpopular opinion but I quite like Collymore.  He had one unsavoury incident with Ulrika and that’s it for a lot of people with him.  You can’t really argue with them either as you shouldn’t do what he did.  He’s not some lifelong abuser though clearly unlike some other national heroes.  In terms of footballing ability he had more than Baros but didn’t use it as well.  I think he was better in both departments than Cisse.

• Upvote 1

Collymore, easily. Massively talented. The season before he joined us he was unbelievable at Forest. There haven't been many signings that excited me more than Collymore, I really thought we would easily win the title with him and Fowler up front. Pity his head wasn't screwed on properly, his potential was huge.

13 hours ago, Simbo said:

I used to have a season ticket at my local team, Southend United. On Collymore’s debut I genuinely got goosebumps when I saw his turn of pace. He had the lot...pace, skill and could strike the ball well with both feet. If he had any weakness it was probably his heading. He scored some incredible goals and, being young and impressionable, he became my favourite player.

When we signed him for £8.5m I was so unbelievably excited. It’s a shame things didn’t work out as he had all the attributes to become one of our best. 

Still one of my favourite ever players.

Following on from this, and going slightly off-topic, but as well as the whole Collymore thing my home town team Southend United and Liverpool have actually got a bit of a long standing connection.

Liverpool came to Southend in the 1979 FA Cup which resulted in Southend’s biggest ever attendance of around 32000 at Roots Hall.

Our line-up:

Goalkeeper Ray Clemence
DefenderAlan Hansen
DefenderPhil Neal
DefenderPhil Thompson
Defender/MidfielderEmlyn Hughes
MidfielderJimmy Case
MidfielderRay Kennedy
MidfielderTerry McDermott
MidfielderGraeme Souness

The game ended up 0-0 with us winning 3-0 in the replay at Anfield.

Later on Ronnie Whelan signed for Southend before going on to become Player/Manager. I remember Whelan almost convinced Jan Molby to come and sign for Southend but at the last minute he got the Swansea manager offer and took that instead.
Southend also went on to sign Mike Marsh for a club record £500,000 from Galatasaray (still the club record to this day).
Southend also signed Steve Harkness on loan at one point and there was a rumour that Liverpool were so pleased with how he got on at Roots Hall that they were going to send Ian Rush down here too. It was towards the end of Rush’s career though so I’m not sure how truthful those rumours are.
Anyway...here’s some highlights of the first game at Roots Hall.

• Upvote 1