You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Who is the coolest actor of the 20th century?

Tony Moanero

Coolest actor of the 20th Century  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the coolest actor of the 20th century?

• Humphrey Bogart
    • Marlon Brando
    • Sean Connery
    • Robert De Niro
    • Clint Eastwood
    • Harrison Ford
    • Cary Grant
    • Gene Hackman
    • Samuel L. Jackson
    • Bruce Lee
    • Steve McQueen
    • Roger Moore
    • Paul Newman
    • Jack Nicholson
    • Al Pacino
    • Gregory Peck
    • Robert Redford
    • John Wayne
    • Dean Sullivan
    • Other (please state)

Paul Newman by a distance.

A great actor and a great man.

Newman won several national championships as a driver in Sports Car Club of America road racing, and his race teams won several championships in open-wheel IndyCar racing. He was a co-founder of Newman's Own, a food company from which he donated all post-tax profits and royalties to charity. As of November 2018, these donations have totaled over US$535 million. He was a co-founder of Safe Water Network, a nonprofit that develops sustainable drinking water solutions for those in need.

In 1988, Newman founded the SeriousFun Children's Network, a global family of summer camps and programs for children with serious illness which has served 290,076 children since its inception. In 2006, Paul Newman also co-founded Safe Water Network with John Whitehead, former chairman of Goldman Sachs, and Josh Weston, former chairman of ADP, to improve access to safe water to underserved communities around the world. 

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, General Dryness said:

Connery for me.

I was surprised not to see James Dean in the main list as his was the first name I thought of when i saw the word "cool". He would be the hipsters choice I reckon.

When deciding who to include, it was a toss up between James Dean and Dean Sullivan.

Polls only allow for 20 choices, so I couldn’t include everyone. 

4 minutes ago, polymerpunkah said:

McQueen: that was his persona, and I'm struggling to think of a role where he wasn't "cool".

If I had to add to the list it'd be Charles Bronson. Another who was always pretty calm cool and collected on screen.

Bronson is a great shout