You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Peak Owen vs Peak Torres

Bjornebye

Peak Owen vs Peak Torres  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Peak Owen vs Peak Torres

• 4 months later...
14 hours ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

He was unplayable. Ridiculous finishing. Made defenders look stupid.

Because of just how skilful and clinical he was with his feet, I always forget what a great header of the ball he was until I watch one of those compilations.

10 minutes ago, kemskem said:

He had that bad hamstring injury at 19 in his second season. I wonder how many goals he would have scored if it wasn’t for that.

Wasn't that against Leeds?, or was that later.

I remember him sprinting full pelt, pulling up and going down.

Wasn't the same player after.

Much as I liked Michael Owen, and could even understand why he signed for Madrid and United when he did (not that I agreed with it necessarily) I think Torres was a thoroughbred in his prime in comparison.

We were lucky to see what I think was his best form with us and, yes, he was unplayable at times.

Owen was unfortunate with his hamstring injuries, and he kept us going with some dross around him, but there was a star quality around Torres when he turned up, and even with better players around him, he was stunning at times.

Owen was so good he retired Fowler. 

He made Emile Heskey look like a world-class strike partner.

He was so good that Ferguson still wanted him in 2009 when he was clearly fucked by injuries. 

He made wins possible against the best teams when we were not remotely close to them in terms of overall quality. 

I enjoyed watching Torres and Suarez more, as all-round players with moments of breath-taking skill and power, but a peak Owen playing with a peak Gerrard, and then with Alonso etc,  it would have been something else. 

2 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Owen was so good he retired Fowler. 

He made Emile Heskey look like a world-class strike partner.

He was so good that Ferguson still wanted him in 2009 when he was clearly fucked by injuries. 

He made wins possible against the best teams when we were not remotely close to them in terms of overall quality. 

I enjoyed watching Torres and Suarez more, as all-round players with moments of breath-taking skill and power, but a peak Owen playing with a peak Gerrard, and then with Alonso etc,  it would have been something else. 

I can see the logic of this argument but I reckon you’re twisting a few realities to fit your argument. 

Fowler wasn’t retired by Owen; he was shunted out mainly by Houllier’s obsession with having twin strikers who offered pace and power, and with clamping down on any difficult characters. Litmanen and Fowler were far too mercurial, Owen was the ideal, and Diouf the nadir. 

Heskey never looked world class. He did look a very good fit to play alongside Owen... for a while. And then started to get shifted to one side. 

Owen arrived at Manchester United as a relatively low-risk gamble. Five league goals in three seasons suggest it hardly paid off in spades, even if we all know that he burnt a few bridges with one of those goals.

Ultimately Owen was a very good player, who only had one way of playing. Unlike Suarez, Torres, and Firmino he wasn’t ever suited to playing as a lone forward either, so I’d happily take any of those three ahead of him. Slot Gerrard, Salah  and Mané either side and behind your lone striker of choice and that would be a genuinely mouthwatering prospect.