You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sausage and Mash - What do you have with yours?

Tony Moanero

Sausage and Mash  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Sausage and Mash - What do you have with yours?

1 minute ago, Stouffer said:

I only ever have it as toad in the hole.

Six sausages cooked in the batter mix served with mashed potatoes (sans skin) and with onion gravy.

If I feel fancy I might put some wholegrain mustard in the mash.

Beautiful.

If I’m having toad in the hole, I don’t bother with mash.

i made a boss toad in the hole this week. My lads walloped it down with onion gravy and green beans.

Jam roly poly with custard for afters 

• Upvote 5

Just now, RJ Fan club said:

Beautiful.

If I’m having toad in the hole, I don’t bother with mash.

i made a boss toad in the hole this week. My lads walloped it down with onion gravy and green beans.

Jam roly poly with custard for afters 

Imagine caning a Regal filter after that?

Mmmmmm, once upon a time.

On 17/04/2020 at 14:30, easytoslip said:

I know someone who puts Sarcens vinegar on a full English, not sure if that's  Belfast thing or what they do in Thailand where he lives or just him having a weird taste. 

I negged you for knowing somebody like this. Have a fucking word with yourself!

Thailand, yes, nonce?

11 hours ago, mattyq said:

Haha, boil the spuds until softish then throw into a colander and shake.

Place on roasting tray

Add a goodly dusting of salt & pepper, some fine vegetable oil and plenty of rosemary and thyme

Roast until smell wafts through house and skin crispy

Prepare gravy, pour wine and feast on wondrous Roast

Docker Doyle is screaming in his grave at this shit. Write out 100 lines I am a schoolboy not a lazy bastard non spud peeler.

15 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Just do the spuds as you would normally but don't peel the skin off. Its not hard. 

Trust me you won't look back. 

Bunch of mugs wasting your time peeling spuds and missing out on all the goodness to boot. Some of you lot really are fucking shite. 

1. This what they said to yer in the navy to get yer to perform?

Eat the skin to capture all the natural nutrition of a russet potato. The potato skin has more nutrients than the interior of the potato. It has lots of fiber, about half of a medium potato's fiber is from the skin

2. Broccoli - you eating the stork? Carrots you peeling them? Apples you eating the tree? Lovely bit of fibre is an apple tree.

Because I want you to try it. 

See 1. above

14 hours ago, Stouffer said:

There are some proper durty bastards on here.

3. Agreed

13 hours ago, Nunavut Patrick said:

Two gala apples a day (skin on) and two slices of whole grain bread (usually a two rasher or four stripey bacon with one whole vine on tomato) and you will have champion turds.

4. Again agreed, though I prefer jazz apples, and swap nuts for whole meal bread.

13 hours ago, Nunavut Patrick said:

Not as funny as baked beans bolognese.

5. Sadly this got the kybosh, as the missus was having zudles, and we were trying out some of that vegetarian meat substitute mince (figured this had a high bean content), so we lashed a load of garden peas in instead. It was sound, having another batch of the bolognese on toast later.

Mashed potato is ok but I much prefer it cooked in other ways. Heston Blumenthal makes it by peeling the potatoes but putting the skins in a little net and lashing them back in the water to cook with the rest of the potatoes so that the flavour is kept in the mash.

As for roast potatoes, do people really peel them, why would you do that? 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

34 minutes ago, Remmie said:

Mashed potato is ok but I much prefer it cooked in other ways. Heston Blumenthal makes it by peeling the potatoes but putting the skins in a little net and lashing them back in the water to cook with the rest of the potatoes so that the flavour is kept in the mash.

As for roast potatoes, do people really peel them, why would you do that? 

Yeah, almost everybody I've ever met peels them. In fact, I've never met anybody that roasts potatoes without peeling them.

Every single person I've introduced to leaving the skin on roast potatoes now leaves the skin on. 

A quick google show that there are loads of recipes and people who leave the skin on. You know, people who aren't bigoted and ugly.