You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Corona Virus Economic Impact

No2

9 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I've heard that they expect 150,000 avoidable deaths due to longer term effects of the lockdown, which is obviously way more than will die from the virus itself. No doubt there will be much future debate about whether it was all worth it.

If people decide this is something they want to examine, and they will, then they need to account for what would happen in their world of no lockdown.  Deaths would be at a multiple of what they are now, and this would then see people go into self-lockdown anyway.  The only difference is it would have taken a few months later to happen, and many more thousands would be dead.  In fact, probably many more than the 150,000 guesstimate avoidable deaths you mention.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

If people decide this is something they want to examine, and they will, then they need to account for what would happen in their world of no lockdown.  Deaths would be at a multiple of what they are now, and this would then see people go into self-lockdown anyway.  The only difference is it would have taken a few months later to happen, and many more thousands would be dead.  In fact, probably many more than the 150,000 guesstimate avoidable deaths you mention.

That guesstimate is being pushed by the likes of The Spectator, The Daily Mail, The FT, and The Telegraph.  I mean ffs, no agenda there eh? 

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, Moo said:

That guesstimate is being pushed by the likes of The Spectator, The Daily Mail, The FT, and The Telegraph.  I mean ffs, no agenda there eh? 

At first I was cynical too, but when Toby Young suggested lifting the restrictions might be a good idea, with his proven track record for meticulous research and dealing only in incontrovertible facts, I couldn't help but change my mind.

• Upvote 5

5 hours ago, A Red said:

Cornwall is the poorest county in England, pretty much reliant on tourism, so this is effecting some people pretty badly. Once it is over I can see many Londoners re-evaluating their lives and looking to move to or buy second homes in the area. Positive for me but bad for many others.

Might be better if the locals weren't so hostile to outsiders all the time. 

• Upvote 1

Be interesting to see how long central banks keep interest rates at the current historic lows. I suspect as soon as restrictions ease they'll inch back up to previous levels. 

3 hours ago, Section_31 said:

The worry for me is that companies will use it as an excuse to lay people off and reduce existing pay and conditions. The cunts in HR - an unhealthy mix twixt Boots perfume counter and Waffen SS - will already be sharpening their swords.

They did it with our place after the credit crunch, laid everyone off then re-employed them again with different job titles as part of the company's response to these 'unprecedented economic  times'. 

One of the HR bods spilled the beans about how they strategise around it. They basically unleash a 'shock and awe' phase where they hammer people with worrying information over email and in staff meetings, then after the redundancies they gradually dial down the stress levels until you feel relieved that you're still there and will be satisfied with less. 

Proper guffawed at that. Spot-on. 

The cunts in HR - an unhealthy mix twixt Boots perfume counter and Waffen SS

x2 - top work that Mr. S31.

nicking that to use about a female non-blood family relative - the complete fucking jumped up little twat cunt ship and all they stand for and ever will be, amen

cheers

1 hour ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

Your building your own house? That's impressive. How's it going?

Yes, me and my grandfather who is 83, its coming along nicely, built the outer walls with nudura blocks, very good way to build a well isolated house. Windows and roof are mounted and its warm inside with a heatpump that gets its energy from the ground. All of the elctrical cables are also pulled. Now im working on finishing inside and put timber cladding on the nudura forms outside. 

• Upvote 4

38 minutes ago, thegreatelephant said:

The cunts in HR - an unhealthy mix twixt Boots perfume counter and Waffen SS

x2 - top work that Mr. S31.

nicking that to use about a female non-blood family relative - the complete fucking jumped up little twat cunt ship and all they stand for and ever will be, amen

cheers

We know the same cunt then 

4 minutes ago, Funkasy said:

Yes, me and my grandfather who is 83, its coming along nicely, built the outer walls with nudura blocks, very good way to build a well isolated house. Windows and roof are mounted and its warm inside with a heatpump that gets its energy from the ground. All of the elctrical cables are also pulled. Now im working on finishing inside and put timber cladding on the nudura forms outside. 

Are you from Northern Ireland? Everyone in Northern Ireland builds there own house, it's quite astonishing. Everyone over here works 60 hour weeks to scrape enough together for a two bed plasterboard Barrett House, yet over there you've got 17-year-olds working in McDonald's blagging some land off 'Old Man McArdle' and building the mansion from Fresh Prince of Belle Air with some help from their dad and uncle. Plus everyone pays for everything with £50 notes.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Are you from Northern Ireland? Everyone in Northern Ireland builds there own house, it's quite astonishing. Everyone over here works 60 hour weeks to scrape enough together for a two bed plasterboard Barrett House, yet over there you've got 17-year-olds working in McDonald's blagging some land off 'Old Man McArdle' and building the mansion from Fresh Prince of Belle Air with some help from their dad and uncle. Plus everyone pays for everything with £50 notes.

He lives on the Faroe Ireland.  I think it's basically the same.

I work for a federal government agency so I'm still being paid. I'm lucky, but the overall economic effects for people my age will be devastating. Huge financial crisis in 2008 and an even bigger one now just when people like me are entering the workplace... The earning power and ability to save money for my generation will be much lower than previous generations. Quality of life and health will be lower as a result too. Shite. 

1 hour ago, Funkasy said:

Really impressive on a number of levels. I mean your grandfather helping you build it at 83 is impressive enough. 

1 hour ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

Really impressive on a number of levels. I mean your grandfather helping you build it at 83 is impressive enough. 

Thanks, and yes he is one of a kind. I can also imagine it would cost me the double or tripple if i was paying someone to do it.