You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Favourite national radio DJ past and present

Gnasher

8 hours ago, aRdja said:

Giles Peterson is a national treasure. A man with an immaculate taste in music, with curiosity to match.

Beat me to it. The breadth and depth of his knowledge and taste in music is mind-boggling. Constantly into both what’s brand new and what’s still great. I’ve been listening to him for 30 years and he still introduces me to stuff I don’t know every single week. 

• Upvote 1

Shaun Keaveney on 6 Music is decent, only started listening to him when he got moved to afternoons. Still miss Radcliffe and Maconie in that time slot though, only get to listen to their weekend show occasionally. Used to love their show on Radio 2 as well.

Ken Bruce is ace, despite his footballing loyalties!

In the past, Peel obviously although I don't really share his musical tastes. Mark and Lard were good too!

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

Shaun Keaveney on 6 Music is decent, only started listening to him when he got moved to afternoons. Still miss Radcliffe and Maconie in that time slot though, only get to listen to their weekend show occasionally. Used to love their show on Radio 2 as well.

Ken Bruce is ace, despite his footballing loyalties!

In the past, Peel obviously although I don't really share his musical tastes. Mark and Lard were good too!

I was just going to post Keaveney and Mark and Lard, spooky. Mark and Lard's evening show was great, but it didn't really translate to the morning slot, The Shirehorses spoof songs were quite funny at times as well.

My missus really like the Frank Skinner show on Absolute Radio, but I've only ever caught bits of pieces of it. I used to work on a Go Kart track in the mid-'80s and Steve Wright's afternoon show was a big hit back then as it was unlike anything else we'd heard before. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Past. Has to be John Peel, great radio at the time whilst growing up in the 60's/70's. 

Present, I really couldn't pick one. 

19 minutes ago, Mudface said:

I was just going to post Keaveney and Mark and Lard, spooky. Mark and Lard's evening show was great, but it didn't really translate to the morning slot, The Shirehorses spoof songs were quite funny at times as well.

My missus really like the Frank Skinner show on Absolute Radio, but I've only ever caught bits of pieces of it. I used to work on a Go Kart track in the mid-'80s and Steve Wright's afternoon show was a big hit back then as it was unlike anything else we'd heard before. 

Yeah Mark and Lard were better at night, that bit of post-watershed freedom let them be themselves a bit more!

On 13/04/2020 at 09:47, TheBitch said:

I love me a bit of Jo Whiley. 

can't say i am a fan but her old man is a lovely old boy and Cobbler

used to enjoy Jeff Young's Big Beat Show on R1 back in the days of golden-era hip-hop

'yo sucker put your brain in gear..........FRIDAY NIGHT'

remember that he played the whole of Nation of Millions like they did DSOTM in the 70's when it came out

18 minutes ago, thegreatelephant said:

can't say i am a fan but her old man is a lovely old boy and Cobbler

used to enjoy Jeff Young's Big Beat Show on R1 back in the days of golden-era hip-hop

'yo sucker put your brain in gear..........FRIDAY NIGHT'

remember that he played the whole of Nation of Millions like they did DSOTM in the 70's when it came out

I'm not sure I understood anything but 'Jo Wiley' in that post,but that is enough for me.