You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: That was the week that was (Apr 5-10 2020)

tlw content

theweekthatwas.jpg

Sunday Apr 5:

Man City wasted no time sticking the knife in, announcing today that they won’t be furloughing their staff. Their press office will have been running around like a dog with two dicks when they saw that clusterfuck from LFC yesterday, but they have no moral high ground here considering how much they were charging the NHS to rent their building. 

I say ‘they’ because although it’s technically not Man City, it’s Abu Dhabi which is the same thing. Well if LFC are tarred by the decisions of greedy bastard owners then why not City? In truth though I’m not even mad at City’s opportunism here. LFC gave them the open goal, all they did was take the tap in. I’m angry with FSG, not Man City.

They’ve played us like a fiddle here, especially as I heard a whisper that at the Premier League club meeting the other day they intimated that they’d be using furlough for their staff. That may or may not be true, but if LFC hadn’t gone fucking diving in head first and had sat back to see what other clubs did and what the reaction was, we wouldn’t have this mess now.

I don’t get why they felt the need to a) furlough so soon, and b) announce it before all the other big clubs had declared their intentions. History tells us that the reaction of the fans will probably force a u-turn, but this is such massive, unnecessary PR own goal.

Monday Apr 6:

Well at least when they fuck things up they aren’t afraid to admit it and back-track. It would be nice if they didn’t get things so wrong to begin with that they have to climb down and apologise, but there’s something to be said for the fact that they will admit when they’re wrong and they don’t just dig their heels in.

The statement about not furloughing staff was as good as we could have hoped for. They misjudged the situation and are “very sorry”. Fair play, I suppose.

Last week Jack Grealish was guilty of one of the most tone deaf, stupid acts I can ever remember from a footballer. I didn’t think that would be topped, but then up pops Kyle Walker hosting a sex party complete with hookers. I’m almost impressed, as that’s some next level don’t give a fuckery. What an absolute cunt.

Stories like that make all the headlines, but there is so much good going on too. For instance, an elderly Everton season ticket holder had his house burgled and the cunts nicked his telly. Duncan Ferguson heard about it, rung the fella up for a chat and bought him a new telly. I like to think he promised to track down the burglars too so he could complete that particular hat-trick.

I like Ferguson. There, I said it. There’s something endearing about how much he understands his hero status at Everton and the way he responds to it. It’s easy for us to laugh at the fact he even has legend status (the example I often use is it’s like us making Andy Carroll a hero), but the fact is they love him and he lives up to what they want him to be.

I hated him when he was playing, but he comes across as a genuinely decent fella these days and this was a great story. Well in big man, nice one.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that the Week that Was is only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• dave u pinned this topic

Good stuff Dave, hope you’re completely recovered now.

I thought that Duncan Ferguson story was great too, I saw the fan interviewed and you could tell talking to him was enough let only the tv.

Havent seen those LFC videos.I’m going to have to go and look for them - that happy birthday thing with Ox sounds hilarious.

• Upvote 1

• dave u unpinned this topic