You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Report: Reds plotting swoop for Borussia Monchengladbach duo

TLW

Liverpool have earmarked a couple of exciting talents from the Bundesliga as Jürgen Klopp looks to boost his all-round squad depth.

The Daily Express (via German publication Express) says that Denis Zakaria and Marcus Thurum are two players that have come to prominence this season with the duo being key figures in the fine season of Borussia Monchengladbach as they currently sit in fourth position.

Zakaria is a Swiss international who plays in the Defensive Midfield role.

Standing at 190cm and coming in at around 80kg, Zakaria is a physical specimen and his strengths lie in his physicality and ability to shield his opponent away from the ball.

He also has elite endurance and is comfortable in possession.

The 23 year-old recently spoke about his future with Man United and Bayern Munich also been linked to his services.

“It spurs me on and gives me strength to improve further. The fact that other clubs are dealing with me shows that I perform well. 

“But I only concentrate on Borussia. We can still achieve great things this season." 

While it is true that Liverpool have Fabinho in the holding midfield role he has had a inconsistent campaign to date, and some competition could push the Brazilian to the level he produced in the second half of the 2018/9 campaign.

The other name mentioned in the report is Thuram.

The 22 year-old is the son of French legendary defender Lilian who played for Monaco, Parma, Juventus and Barcelona and is the most capped player for the French national team.

image.png

In direct contrast to his father, Marcus is a forward who signed for the German club last summer after previously playing for Guingamp and Sochaux in Ligue 1.

On his arrival, Gladbach sporting director Max Eberl said : “He's a fast, robust and dangerous assailant who fits very well in our squad and we are sure he will make his way in the Bundesliga.”

So far he has scored 10 goals in all competitions for his club this season.

The scouting report on Thuram says that he is quick, direct and with the upper body strength to clear defenders out the way and his game has been likened to Man United forward Anthony Martial.

He has represented France in all the under-age levels and it is believed he is close to getting his first senior call-up.

With the burden of the current front three at an already high level, it could be increased to unprecedented levels in what could be a cramped calendar due to the Covid-19 outbreak.

So having a player like Thuram with significant senior experience while still being of a young age could be a smart bit of business for the Reds. 

View full article

2 hours ago, redinblack62 said:

I like the fact that we could have an Assailant in the squad

That along with a physical specimen should help along nicely.