You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

4 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

Yeah that’s her mate. She speaks a fair amount of sense on Twitter, sees exactly how idiotic Brexit is.

Cheers. Yeah, that's going to kill SMEs that actually make stuff and aren't big enough to relocate to the continent. Big bucks for the gamblers though and plenty to be made by asset strippers when people start losing their houses.

On the subject of the 'why do people vote Tory' question.

I was watching that Harold Shipman documentary this week, start of it anyway, and the answer to your question is clear.

Many millions of people are so hopelessly conditioned to believe anything a white middle-class English gent says is good for them.

In the years leading upto his arrest, he was actually known around Hyde as 'Dr Death'.  And, I quote, "he's a good doctor but you don't last long with him". 

And upon the initial investigation, his surgery was inundated with cards and letters of support for him. 

If you asked them now if they feel embarrassed, they'd say "no, we weren't to know".  Despite him being called Dr Death.  Despite him turning up in the afternoon, killing them, watching them die, then calling the families to say their parent had passed away while he was around the house.  Despite him writing himself into people's wills. 

I swear he'd still be a GP for some of those people in Hyde if they had their way. 

"He never killed me, not once".

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Section_31 said:

I just never understand why people vote Tory, I mean I genuinely don't understand it. 

If you grew up in the 80s you remember dole queues, homelessness, collapsing infrastructure.

When Cameron got in in 2010 any of us who'd lived through it last time must have been filled with dread about what would come. And sure enough we were treated to an austerity bukake fest.

When a Tory votes Tory and the Tories get in, what do they feel? 

When Blair got in I felt optimism because I knew labour would build, spend money on the NHS and the rest. 

When the Tories get in, what optimism do even their most ardent supporters feel? What do they think is going to happen? Or is it all purely about their own tax rates? It can't be that simple surely?

You see what I don’t get is that the same people who are telling me half the population are fucking idiots for not following the Covid rules, that we’ve got Brexit racists ruining the country and doing other stupid things are telling me I should vote Labour as it’ll help these dumb cunts out. No sorry. 

17 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

They're the party of patriots that puts the sons of KGB agents in the house of Lords, the party of the armed forces that spent the early stages of the war trying to shaft Churchill and do a separate peace with the nazis and built aircraft carriers with no money for planes, the party of law and order that cut policing to the bone and sold off the probation service, the party of business that's headed for a no deal Brexit.

Basically if you fall for the shite they peddle despite the overwhelming evidence of your eyes and ears you're a grade A spastic and deserve your fate. 

I like this. 

Staying on the 'Shipman is a decent GP' angle... 

They double-down each election, same technique for playing the lottery with the same numbers, the expectation is that all it takes is one win to validate everything.  They will suffer through 9 terrible Tory governments if it means that they will get 1 half-decent attempt at running the country.  

They get to pretend to be politically knowledgeable by voting Tory, because the Tories give them easy-to-remember slogans and argument points to back their vote.  "Give us back our independence", "back the boys", "lower taxes", "benefit scroungers", etc. 

Keir Starmer has insisted that his priority at the next election will be to hike taxes for the top 5% of Britons and signalled that he may go even further in squeezing the very richest.

In an interview with HuffPost UK, the Labour leader moved to quash suggestions that he had abandoned his leadership pledge to jack up income tax on anyone earning over £80,000.

Although the party has a current policy of opposing government tax rises during the pandemic, Starmer said that if he became prime minister in 2024 he may have to “be bolder than we imagined” to rebalance the UK’s economy and invest in public services.

Advertisement

3 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Keir Starmer has insisted that his priority at the next election will be to hike taxes for the top 5% of Britons and signalled that he may go even further in squeezing the very richest.

In an interview with HuffPost UK, the Labour leader moved to quash suggestions that he had abandoned his leadership pledge to jack up income tax on anyone earning over £80,000.

Although the party has a current policy of opposing government tax rises during the pandemic, Starmer said that if he became prime minister in 2024 he may have to “be bolder than we imagined” to rebalance the UK’s economy and invest in public services.

Advertisement

The fucking horrible anti-semite. 

10 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Advertisement

These right wingers with their right wing yadda yadda. 

Not arsed about taxing the super rich more just collect what they're supposed to pay without loopholes. People like Reese-mogg as an example should be kicked out of public office. Play by the rules as they're intended, fight to change the rules if you dont like them or they are against how you believe the country should be run but in the meantime pay what your supposed to you time traveling aristotwat.

Personally I'd make the incomes and wealth of anybody who is an MP public. Every penny they earn, share they have, future earnings anything and everything that could highlight decisions made for personal gain. Id also pay them more. That would be the harsh price of becoming an MP financial transparency. 

The Brexit Millionaires: Channel 4 Dispatches

Monday 11th March, Channel 4, 8pm

Leading Brexiteer and Conservative MP Jacob Rees-Mogg is estimated to have earnt £7m from one of his investments since the referendum according to an investigation by Channel 4 Dispatches.

In an interview with the programme Conservative MP Mr Rees-Mogg refused to disclose the precise amount he received in dividends from Somerset Capital Management (SCM), the investment firm he set up in 2007. However, an analysis of its accounts shows that in the past two years, the fund has seen profits almost double and it has paid £47m to members over that period.

• Mr Rees-Mogg owns at least 15% of the firm which according to one financial expert’s estimate could have put him in line for a pay-out of around £7m since 2016.
  • Asked if the figure of £7m is accurate, Mr Rees-Mogg told Dispatches: The amount that I received is not for public disclosure. I’m entitled to the same privacy in my affairs as anyone else in parliament is.”
  • Mr Rees-Mogg declares in his House of Commons Register of Interests that he is paid £500 an hour for his work at SCM and takes home around £15,000 a month on top of his MPs salary.

SCM invests in emerging markets like China and Russia and one expert said that the fall in the value of the pound since the referendum result has helped SCM’s profits. Mr Rees-Mogg denied that the increase in SCM’s earnings was related to Brexit describing such claims as “living in cloud cuckoo land”. 

He also rejected claims that SCM’s decision in the past year to open two new funds in Dublin rather than London had anything to with Brexit. “Our decision to do it predates Brexit,” he told the programme.

MPs earning money from Brexit:

An analysis of the House of Commons register of interests reveals MPs have been in high demand on the speaker’s circuit. Since the referendum 12 MPs have between them made more than £1m on top of their MPs salary from paid speeches.

Dispatches also reveals the amounts some politicians are charging to speak on Brexit. According to one leading agency:

• Nick Clegg charges £60,000-£80,000 plus flights from California where he currently works for Facebook
  • Boris Johnson charges £100,000.
  • Former Foreign Secretary William Hague was offered at £40-50k
  • Former Government minister Jo Johnson was the cheapest at £15,000
  • Conservative Remainer Kenneth Clarke earned almost £14,000 for 2 recent speeches on Brexit
  • Former Brexit secretary David Davis was recently paid £19,000 for a speech to the City
  • After he left Downing Street, David Cameron he earnt £120,000 for a speech to Wall Street that talked about Brexit

Since the referendum there has been a sharp uptick in investment in Gold, when May’s Brexit deal was defeated in January one company saw a 116% increase in a 12-hour period.

Gold investment company Glint have a website which clearly states how important Brexit in making gold an attractive investment - it says here at a time when pound looks vulnerable and the stock markets look ‘toppy’ - gold is a financial insurance policy.

Dispatches searched the House of Commons Register of Interests and discovered that one shareholder was none other than the former Brexit Minister – and prominent Brexiteer- Steve Baker. He has at least £70,000 invested in Glint. Within three days of resigning as Brexit Secretary he was on twitter promoting the company.

Funds betting against British businesses:

Dispatches also reveals how some hedge funds have built up huge bets against British business and hoping to make big profits if the economy hits the rocks after Brexit.

Dispatches reveals that the US investment firm Blackrock holds the most bets against British business totalling more than £1bn.  Blackrock has paid former Chancellor and key remain campaigner George Osborne more than a £1m since 2016.

The hedge fund run by leading Brexiteer Crispin Odey is betting almost £500m against British businesses. Odey made more than £200m on the night of the referendum by betting that the value of the pound would plummet.

If there was an election this week or next Labour would definitely win IMO, but that's not saying much. 

In the longer term it needs to somehow try and rebuild a following out of a working class that's just completely disengaged from politics (by design) and a media owned by barons. 

Polls are well and good, but it's what's under the floorboards that's the problem and that's going to pose a longer term challenge. 

4 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

If there was an election this week or next Labour would definitely win IMO, but that's not saying much. 

In the longer term it needs to somehow try and rebuild a following out of a working class that's just completely disengaged from politics (by design) and a media owned by barons. 

Polls are well and good, but it's what's under the floorboards that's the problem and that's going to pose a longer term challenge. 

Without taking dozens of seats off the SNP, there's no chance of Labour winning an outright majority. The party's pretty much dead up here now.

8 minutes ago, Mudface said:

I think so, yes. Just had a look through the Britain Elects Twitter and more recent polls have a small Tory lead or the parties level, so this was likely a bit of an outlier.

I think what’s important is taking one poll and looking at the trend. That or taking all the polls and seeing that overall trend. The gap has gone from something like 21pts when he took over from Corbyn to around even. Considering the Tories just won a landslide victory, that’s quite something. He needs to now start making real inroads into three main groups, I reckon: the Labour voters who voted Tory, which I think will be the easiest; the central third, many of whom couldn’t stand Corbyn for whatever reason that swing from Labour to Tory, which will be moderately hard because they just backed Boris to the hilt; then the irrational factions of the left, the Corbynistas, the ones who would sooner lose an election and live under Tory rule than bend a bit, but still aren’t that far left that they’re already voting for fringe bullshit (here’s not many of those anyway) which will be hard because they’re not rational, they’re very entrenched. So I can see why he is focusing on the first two groups. 

I do find it strange when reading twitter though, it’s like the antiparticle version of the Daily Mail comments. Every comment under anything to do with Starmer is full of Corbynistas spouting about not being 20 points ahead as if that’s some sort of gotcha, used to deflect that he’s already 20 points ahead of where Corbyn was. I rarely respond to any of it but there was one woman who was banging on about how Corbyn would be doing so much better than this ‘career politician’. She didn’t much like it when I pointed out that Starmer became an MP in 2015 after decades in another career and it was Corbyn who has been a career politician. 

3 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Without taking dozens of seats off the SNP, there's no chance of Labour winning an outright majority. The party's pretty much dead up here now.

Yeah it would have to be some sort of coalition government. What would be good is if they pulled that off, gave the SNP a new referendum in exchange for a vote on PR or something to try and break the Tory stranglehold on England.

I dunno, I'm not optimistic really, I feel like I'm typing this in the voice of Marvin from Hitchhiker's. 

4 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Yeah, it’d be very difficult, though Blair did it quite comfortably in only England. Something like 328 vs 165 (entire election was 418 vs 165). It’s doable but it’s also very unlikely as you say. I’d have no issues with a coalition with Labour, SNP and anyone who isn’t the Tories, to be honest. 

6 minutes ago, Nummer Neunzehn said:

I think what’s important is taking one poll and looking at the trend. That or taking all the polls and seeing that overall trend. The gap has gone from something like 21pts when he took over from Corbyn to around even. Considering the Tories just won a landslide victory, that’s quite something. He needs to now start making real inroads into three main groups, I reckon: the Labour voters who voted Tory, which I think will be the easiest; the central third, many of whom couldn’t stand Corbyn for whatever reason that swing from Labour to Tory, which will be moderately hard because they just backed Boris to the hilt; then the irrational factions of the left, the Corbynistas, the ones who would sooner lose an election and live under Tory rule than bend a bit, but still aren’t that far left that they’re already voting for fringe bullshit (here’s not many of those anyway) which will be hard because they’re not rational, they’re very entrenched. So I can see why he is focusing on the first two groups. 

I do find it strange when reading twitter though, it’s like the antiparticle version of the Daily Mail comments. Every comment under anything to do with Starmer is full of Corbynistas spouting about not being 20 points ahead as if that’s some sort of gotcha, used to deflect that he’s already 20 points ahead of where Corbyn was. I rarely respond to any of it but there was one woman who was banging on about how Corbyn would be doing so much better than this ‘career politician’. She didn’t much like it when I pointed out that Starmer became an MP in 2015 after decades in another career and it was Corbyn who has been a career politician. 

It's just the reverse of what was flung at Corbyn- i.e. why didn't he win in 2017 (even though Labour started the campaign 20-odd points behind) and why wasn't he x amount of points ahead of one of the worst UK governments ever. Stupid, really, the trend is very encouraging and it's not going to shift into a massive Labour lead overnight despite how bad the Tories are.

I wouldn't be too exercised about 'Corbynistas' not voting for Labour because they're not pure enough, these are a pretty small group. Getting those who voted Brexit back onside is going to be the bigger challenge.

8 minutes ago, Mudface said:

It's just the reverse of what was flung at Corbyn- i.e. why didn't he win in 2017 (even though Labour started the campaign 20-odd points behind) and why wasn't he x amount of points ahead of one of the worst UK governments ever. Stupid, really, the trend is very encouraging and it's not going to shift into a massive Labour lead overnight despite how bad the Tories are.

I wouldn't be too exercised about 'Corbynistas' not voting for Labour because they're not pure enough, these are a pretty small group. Getting those who voted Brexit back onside is going to be the bigger challenge.

Yeah, I think they’re generally scattered in the first and second groups I mentioned. You’ll have some that voted purely to ‘get Brexit done’ who will default back to Labour, you’ll have quite a few who voted because they couldn’t stomach Corbyn but will vote Labour under somebody like Miliband or Starmer, and some who are utter mongs but voted  for Boris because they like the blustering twat who will then think it’s not so funny anymore. 

I just want these Tory cunts gone. I’d be happy with anything from the left of Corbyn to just left of centre. Fuck, centre right is starting to look more and more appealing the more time goes on under these incompetent shithouses. 

7 minutes ago, Nummer Neunzehn said:

I dislike them very much. 

There's quite a few who seem set on what can only be described as 'perpetual outrage'. It's not just around the Labour party by any means but in all aspects of British society now. I don't see any real solutions coming from them, just retweeting stats/graphs/gifs and the like. One wonders if Momentum started a new party, how many of them would actually go and knock on doors for them or do any of the work required to actually win seats and an election, and how many would just write blogs all day about the need to send Tony Blair to the Hague. 

2 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

There's quite a few who seem set on what can only be described as 'perpetual outrage'. It's not just around the Labour party by any means but in all aspects of British society now. I don't see any real solutions coming from them, just retweeting stats/graphs/gifs and the like. One wonders if Momentum started a new party, how many of them would actually go and knock on doors for them or do any of the work required to actually win seats and an election, and how many would just write blogs all day about the need to send Tony Blair to the Hague. 

I want to see it now, to be honest. Give people a real choice. The the ‘right wing nut jobs’ on the right, the ‘right wing nut jobs’ in the centre, ‘the right wing nut jobs’ on the centre left, the ‘right wing nut jobs’ on the left who don’t support Corbyn or the real left who support Corbyn. Honesty, I think they’d get no seats and get wiped out. That’s why they’ve not already done it. The best way to get left wing policies in place is to unify behind the Labour Party - the sacks of shit - in the hope they can get a fuckin’ coalition.

I mean, people are stupid, what can you do?