You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

2 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Kevin's right, Gordon Brown is right, most of the country are right. Starmer and Reeves are wrong. It's as easy as that.

Perhaps others need to start this dialogue and keep it in focus. However if Labour do this as opposition it'll be "magic money tree/crippling your pension investments" and we'll still be where we are with the swing vote boomers sticking with the Tories

7 minutes ago, skend04 said:

Perhaps others need to start this dialogue and keep it in focus. However if Labour do this as opposition it'll be "magic money tree/crippling your pension investments" and we'll still be where we are with the swing vote boomers sticking with the Tories

I think its gone a bit far now, attitudes seem to be shifting and will continue to shift towards renationalising assets. 

56 minutes ago, skend04 said:

There's always an excuse for not doing the right thing.

18 minutes ago, sir roger said:

There's always an excuse for not doing the right thing.

Yeah, it's called the British voting public. You've seen what they can do if they feel they're being hit in the pocket. Heck, they even voted for Corbyn when May bought up the dementia tax and social care policies that would hit people in their pockets.

On 12/08/2022 at 12:12, Strontium said:

If you think a tribal party loyalist like Gordon Brown is acting without at least the tacit approval of the leadership, well...

well would you look at that

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/aug/13/keir-starmer-demands-ban-on-raising-energy-prices

Keir Starmer demands ban on raising energy prices
Exclusive: Labour calls for the price cap to remain at £1,971 as charities warn Tory leadership candidates of catastrophic impact on the cost of living.

The Labour leader, Keir Starmer, is to call for a ban on crippling energy price rises this autumn in a move that would save the average household more than £2,000 a year on gas and electricity bills, the Observer can reveal.

The demand to freeze the energy price cap at the current £1,971 level – blocking the regulator Ofgem from allowing a huge anticipated rise to around £3,600 in October – will place intense pressure on the Tory leadership candidates Liz Truss and Rishi Sunak to follow suit when one becomes prime minister.

Starmer’s plan, to be announced on Monday, comes as 70 of the country’s biggest charities and organisations across health, mental health, education, care and other sectors, today warn Truss and Sunak in a joint letter of dire consequences throughout British society unless they take more drastic action to address the energy and wider cost of living crises.

So he’s simultaneously not doing enough (he has no power to do anything) and doing too much so it’s bankrupt all the household energy suppliers. Sweet. 

He says ‘

I am working on my own plan right now and hope to publish very soon. It’s more complex than this plan, but it needs to be. It is progressive, meaning it helps those in need most. It may well be cheaper.

And it helps business and the public sector. I will get it out as soon as possible, but we definitely need something better than this plan from Starmer.’

I can’t wait. I’ve got to commend him, at least he’s going to put something forward. Most of the drones who survive on Twitter, and can’t think for themselves - including link aggregators like Gnasher - have no fucking idea how to approach it, they just warble criticism. So good on him for that. It’ll certainly be looked at with the same keen eye that he is looking at Starmer’s plan. 

16 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

So he’s simultaneously not doing enough (he has no power to do anything) and doing too much so it’s bankrupt all the household energy suppliers. Sweet. 

He says ‘

I am working on my own plan right now and hope to publish very soon. It’s more complex than this plan, but it needs to be. It is progressive, meaning it helps those in need most. It may well be cheaper.

And it helps business and the public sector. I will get it out as soon as possible, but we definitely need something better than this plan from Starmer.’

I can’t wait. I’ve got to commend him, at least he’s going to put something forward. Most of the drones who survive on Twitter, and can’t think for themselves - including link aggregators like Gnasher - have no fucking idea how to approach it, they just warble criticism. So good on him for that. It’ll certainly be looked at with the same keen eye that he is looking at Starmer’s plan. 

Behave, you.

I think Starmers plan is a panic driven load of hogswill. The brains have been working on this for fuck knows how long and the solution is....pay what you did before?  Hmm, excuse my cynicism, especially after the strange announcement the other day which would've compensated energy firms.

Sounds like he's been shamed by Brown and shocked into action by the velocity of the public mood.. but as other posters have said, he's at least addressed the situation and has offered an alternative..so it's definitely a big move in the right direction...

The real long, medium and short term solution is renationalisation. Anything less is the philosophy according to Nero.

12 minutes ago, skend04 said:

I don't understand where he's got Labour subsidising those that don't need subsidising. Have I missed more in his suggestion to prevent the rise in the energy cap?

I think the party and Starmer are between a rock and a hard place as the yanks say. They know this is going to cost literally billions of pounds, billions they wont have to spend on other social projects if a snap GE was called and they formed the next Government. And, it doesnt alleviate thepossibilities of power cuts if old Vlad cuts off supplies in the winter and everyone is scrabbling for energy.

The thing is, if the energy suppliers were nationalised as suggested to hold down prices, then every domestic consumer of energy is subsidised including the well heeled.

I love to see the Twitter left now using Brown, who they pilloried as part of New Labour, as a stick to beat Starmer with as if he doesn't support Starmer and is working with him to try to get him elected. Bunch of mentals. 

Anyway, back to the real world. He's unveiling his plan for the Cost of Living crisis today. More details in this Sky news link.