You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

On 31/07/2022 at 10:44, Numero Veinticinco said:

How will he be toast, though? VonC because Byrnes CLP deselected him using Corbyn's rules? I mean, I guess. It seems pretty much Labour to the fuckin' core to sabotage themselves when they're being predicted a massive swing from a big Tory majority to a big Labour majority. 

Yeah, I saw something in the Mirror article he wrote yesterday that really hit the mark for me, it's something I've been saying for a while. You had Tarry and Cobyn on the picket line, being paid, and not actually achieving anything for workers. Here's the part I'm referring to, and it's spot on because people on here and other places have been pacified by a tweet, as if that's enough. He said ‘I completely understand why people are going on strike to secure better pay and better conditions. I support their right to do so. When I was a lawyer, I represented striking miners for free. Not just sentiment and a photo opp. I backed up my words with action’. That’s exactly what I want from a leader; somebody who isn’t just there for a photo and then back to Islington for elevenses, or putting out a tweet, but somebody who quietly, with dignity, gets on with the job of changing things. All these here today, gone tomorrow heroes this week, Sam Tarry and Audrey White, said some things, dishonest things, and then crawled back from whence they came to rapturous applause from the Twitter left. But they didn’t actually do anything to help anyone. Sure, he might not have exactly the same politics as mine, but it's him or a Tory. If people want to go out and fight Labour in the next election, that's up to them. I just hope they don't bleat on about how bad the Tories are though. 

There was a piece on the BBC website yesterday saying he didn't want to take labour back to tue days of being the 'party of protest'whatever that means.

There seems to be still element of sitting on the fence here and you definitely get the sense battle lines are being drawn here. 

Maybe not on the scale of the miners Strike, but the government have already made it clear they want to go to war with the unions whilst the likes of the rmt are ready for the battle.

Maybe he is playing it clever but at some point he is going to have to pick a side

1 minute ago, Arniepie said:

There was a piece on the BBC website yesterday saying he didn't want to take labour back to tue days of being the 'party of protest'whatever that means.

There seems to be still element of sitting on the fence here and you definitely get the sense battle lines are being drawn here. 

Maybe not on the scale of the miners Strike, but the government have already made it clear they want to go to war with the unions whilst the likes of the rmt are ready for the battle.

Maybe he is playing it clever but at some point he is going to have to pick a side

‘He’ has a fourteen point poll lead, I’m sure he’s fine with the current trajectory.

If that holds is the gamble.

4 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

‘He’ has a fourteen point poll lead, I’m sure he’s fine with the current trajectory.

I think once the new leader is put into place we Will see him come under a lot more pressure from the media. 

1 minute ago, Arniepie said:

I think once the new leader is put into place we Will see him come under a lot more pressure from the media. 

Maybe, and from now on things will start ramping up in terms of detail and pushing the message. But on the other side, do you not think they might be looking at the new PM, their changes to policy, their new cabinet, their general fuck ups?

1 minute ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

If only I'd posted that in this very thread! I'm talking about the Redfield Whatsapp one, Labour are like 4 points or something. I'm every so pleased, because now we can all argue how shit he is. 

Sorry, missed that one, and I assume the others.

Yep, let’s get back to infighting and calling for his head, that’s much more our turf. 

*winkysmileyemoji*

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Maybe, and from now on things will start ramping up in terms of detail and pushing the message. But on the other side, do you not think they might be looking at the new PM, their changes to policy, their new cabinet, their general fuck ups?

I think if the strike thing escalates, he will be pushed more and more on where he stands. 

Well they let johnson redefine the meaning of the word incompetence and they still stayed fully on board?

I guess a lot is going to depend on how much of a threat he is deemed to be.

If the likes of murdoch thinks be can do business with him,he may get an easy ride?

I think the country as a whole,has had enough.of these cunts(famous last words)

2 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

I think if the strike thing escalates, he will be pushed more and more on where he stands. 

Well they let johnson redefine the meaning of the word incompetence and they still stayed fully on board?

I guess a lot is going to depend on how much of a threat he is deemed to be.

If the likes of murdoch thinks be can do business with him,he may get an easy ride?

I think the country as a whole,has had enough.of these cunts(famous last words)

The left care about his stance on workers and the right care what he thinks about women with dicks. He's stuck in between a rock and a hard on. 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

The PM that won a landslide then was out on his ear in 24 months? I mean… I dunno, I guess we will see how Labour play it. I’d say they keep a low-ish profile to avoid the ‘Labour’s strikes’ bullshit whilst keeping the ‘they’ve been in power for 12 years and this is what happens’ line, it should be okay. In fact, the bigger the disruption the bigger the issue. The noisy left on Twitter just aren’t that big a deal when it comes to winning the election. They’re going to hate Starmer no matter what, there’s no return for him, so just ignore them and win the election. ‘They’ll like us when we win’, or they won’t but who cares.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Might want to check if their could be anything that's been going on within the Tory Party that may explain that lead. 

• Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, Anubis said:

I wouldn't put any store in a YouGov poll, but then these days I wouldn't put any store in Labour making things better for people at the bottom either. 

What a fucking depressing position we are in.

I think the extra money they are wanting to give the poorest would help those at the bottom, as would this thing they’ve been working on with the unions for day one changes to workers rights. I guess we will have to wait to see what transpires. I do know Truss is going to do fuck all for them though.