You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

1 minute ago, Creator Supreme said:

In fairness Bruce, who is in favour of strikes? They're always a last resort aren't they?

That's what I was told in my rep training, negotiation and consultation with the full involvement of the employer and the employee / Union member! Failing that arbitration, and if arbitration doesn't work, then you start the long road to withdrawal of labour!

Sometimes saying the obvious thing in a way that deflects responsibility is what 'the public' need to hear, see the Conservatives entire political history.

Its not about strikes its about the whole collecive memory, recreated and reinforced for us, and the fear and division this stokes whicj labour are intrinsically tied to, by design, and this is a powerful tool to change the narrative, create dividing lines and distract from the bigger picture of why these conversations are happening in the first place.

It's one place the Tories can stitch Labour up everytime and there's little they can do about it as people don't, or won't listen to the truth that they're being shit on slightly less than the others so by wonky logic they're doing OK and don't need to suport the shirkers.

56 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Sometimes saying the obvious thing in a way that deflects responsibility is what 'the public' need to hear, see the Conservatives entire political history.

Its not about strikes its about the whole collecive memory, recreated and reinforced for us, and the fear and division this stokes whicj labour are intrinsically tied to, by design, and this is a powerful tool to change the narrative, create dividing lines and distract from the bigger picture of why these conversations are happening in the first place.

It's one place the Tories can stitch Labour up everytime and there's little they can do about it as people don't, or won't listen to the truth that they're being shit on slightly less than the others so by wonky logic they're doing OK and don't need to suport the shirkers.

You are of course correct!

48 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

You are of course correct!

He's not. He's suggesting we can't come out and say we support the people on strike because of the public perception but polling shows the public are in general sympathetic to industrial action. Same with nationalisation Labour has no excuse.

3 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Unions are planning for general strikes.

Big call here for Starmer. He needs to come to some sort of position that lets them know he has their back, the affiliated unions.l, whilst also looking like he isn’t run by the unions. It might be another ‘keep your head down’ moment and let the Unions take on the Tories whilst getting the message out about how Labour would fix it overnight. 

To be honest, the cost of living is fucking people hard, the Tories have wankered the economy hard, and wages are at best stagnant, so it’s hardly a shock people are getting the arsehole.,

23 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I still think we are too far out for any of this to really count just yet, but it’s starting to look even better than the ‘most successful Labour leader in living memory’, so that’s something I guess. 

Perhaps the PM contenders slagging off their own record in government isn't being missed by the public. There's definitely a sliver of hope here.

I've finally lost it with Starmer.  He had an opportunity and he has flunked it.  I don't think his judgement can be trusted.  And I don't think he's carrying most of his party with him anymore.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Sportiest, and I think Owen Jones is a childish brat, but backing strikers who have been told they're getting a pay cut is a no brainer, surely?

And I think water, energy, comms, transport and health need to be in public ownership.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, skend04 said:

Perhaps the PM contenders slagging off their own record in governu isn't being missed by the public. There's definitely a sliver of hope here.

Fucking right, and unless Truss - who will surely win now Ben has given her the nod - has something remarkable up her sleeve, I can only see it getting worse. 

1 minute ago, stringvest said:

I've finally lost it with Starmer.  He had an opportunity and he has flunked it.  I don't think his judgement can be trusted.  And I don't think he's carrying most of his party with him anymore.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Sportiest, and I think Owen Jones is a childish brat, but backing strikers who have been told they're getting a pay cut is a no brainer, surely?

And I think water, energy, transport and health need to be in public ownership.

So do I, but we are a couple of trillion in debt with financial collapse ahead. He has committed to Rail, but the rest will be through regulation. I dunno, maybe we are better off with the Tories than Starmer. But unless these new predictions of one of the biggest electoral turnarounds in living memory cause the Labour Party to kick him out, it’s going to be between Starmer and a Tory. Simple really. I’ll do what I always do, vote against the Tories. 

37 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Big call here for Starmer. He needs to come to some sort of position that lets them know he has their back, the affiliated unions.l, whilst also looking like he isn’t run by the unions. It might be another ‘keep your head down’ moment and let the Unions take on the Tories whilst getting the message out about how Labour would fix it overnight. 

To be honest, the cost of living is fucking people hard, the Tories have wankered the economy hard, and wages are at best stagnant, so it’s hardly a shock people are getting the arsehole.,

We’re coming to a legitimate showdown, probably contained to our little bubble, now and it’s going to be interesting.

36 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Its hard to judge but it does seem that after 12 years of getting fucked over people have had had enough. 

Getting told that a half decent pay rise is out of the question whilst the PM spends grands on a drinks trolley does seem to have tipped people over the edge

If the strikes do spread,he is going to have to choose a side.I think just staying in the middle is going to win many people over.

It's a big call.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Arniepie said:

Its hard to judge but it does seem that after 12 years of getting fucked over people have had had enough. 

Getting told that a half decent pay rise is out of the question whilst the PM spends grands on a drinks trolley does seem to have tipped people over the edge

If the strikes do spread,he is going to have to choose a side.I think just staying in the middle is going to win many people over.

It's a big call.

It's always the same.

Tories destroyed the country when I was a kid. NHS was fucked, schools were falling apart, infrastructure was falling apart. The only things we were good at was exporting weapons, demonizing the working class and paying bonuses to bankers. The cabinet was rife with sleaze and the Tories eventually collapsd in on themselves. Sound familiar?

When Labour come in they always get shit for spending loads of money, but that's because by the time they turn up the place is falling apart. They rightly get grief for stuff like PFI, but the hospital and school programmes were essential because they'd been so badly neglected.

Tory governments are essentially ticking time bombs. By the time they take office they start ticking and each passing year sees more and more of what you rely on disappearing. They don't build anything, they just chew through it like termites.

Idiot voters don't mind as long as they're not on the collapsing ledge, then suddenly they are and decide to give Labour 'a chance' again.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Section_31 said:

It's always the same.

Tories destroyed the country when I was a kid. NHS was fucked, schools were falling apart, infrastructure was falling apart. The only things we were good at was exporting weapons, demonizing the working class and paying bonuses to bankers. The cabinet was rife with sleaze and the Tories eventually collapsd in on themselves. Sound familiar?

When Labour come in they always get shit for spending loads of money, but that's because by the time they turn up the place is falling apart. They rightly get grief for stuff like PFI, but the hospital and school programmes were essential because they'd been so badly neglected.

Tory governments are essentially ticking time bombs. By the time they take office they start ticking and each passing year sees more and more of what you rely on disappearing. They don't build anything, they just chew through it like termites.

Idiot voters don't mind as long as they're not on the collapsing ledge, then suddenly they are and decide to give Labour 'a chance' again.

You forgot the debt the Tories always leave for Labour to pay off as well.

https://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/2021/06/24/the-tories-have-always-borrowed-more-than-labour-and-always-repaid-less-they-are-the-party-of-big-deficit-spending/

12 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

So do I, but we are a couple of trillion in debt with financial collapse ahead. He has committed to Rail, but the rest will be through regulation. I dunno, maybe we are better off with the Tories than Starmer. But unless these new predictions of one of the biggest electoral turnarounds in living memory cause the Labour Party to kick him out, it’s going to be between Starmer and a Tory. Simple really. I’ll do what I always do, vote against the Tories. 

He can print money both to renationalise and to embark upon a massive infrastructure spend to include council and social housing. 

• Upvote 1

Hope Ian Byrne, one of our me own who co-founded Fans Supporting Foidbanks and who has fought tooth and nail against food poverty as an MP, stands as an independent. I’ll canvas for him and there are a lot of riled-up local LFC supporters.

Fuck Starmer, the fucking hollow marionette.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Twitter certainly is buzzing this morning. 'Kim Jong Starmer', Pictures of Starmer as Hitler, called 'worse than Stalin', and Labour are 'a far-right organisation'. I suspect it's less of a case that Keirdolf Starmlin lead a 'far-right coup', and it was more down down to Byrne (who seems a decent bloke to me, though I don't know that much about him) having less support from the who selected him, many who joined and became active because of the previous leader, having left in protest at Keirde Starmin. Maybe I'm wrong and there were some machinations, I guess I'll wait on Skwakbox's exclusive. 

27 minutes ago, skend04 said:

I genuinely don't get what Kier is up to. I'm mean joining a strike whilst you still get paid your own wage is way more important than getting into government and actually affecting policy.

The fucking Tory with his 10 point polling lead. 

He will cross your red line.