You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

2 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I just saw his full interview, and I agree with Mick Lynch on this. 

He was asked, ‘where do you think Labour are on this class struggle’, to which he replied ‘I don’t know where Labour are; if somebody can tel me I’d be very happy to hear it. I think they are triangulating between what they think is public opinion in the likes of the Daily Mail and the commentariat in this country, but what they’ve got to do and what I want them to do - and I want Keir Starmer to be successful and I want him to be our next Prime Minister - is to get back in contact with working people. Working people are suffering; there’s really poor employment practices in this country, and many people are in vulnerable jobs with low pay and he has to come up with a programme that identifies himself and the Labour Party directly with those working people so they can get behind him and the trade union movement can get fully behind him’. 

Of course he does need to do that, but he also needs to win votes from elsewhere, from people who think different things. It’s quite the balancing act, and to achieve it he needs to do more than just get in contact with working people. We don’t have the same type of working class that we’ve always had and it requires something different. Or, at least, something additional. 

It's an impossible balancing act. Because I assume most people would say Corbyn did exactly what lynch is asking, yet the Tories took the red wall. It doesn't necessarily win the votes it should. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

A useful lesson, that will be studiously ignored.

As was Wales putting the Tories to the sword in recent elections. As was the left in France uniting to do very well in their elections Sunday 

English centrists are a funny bunch.

2 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

As was Wales putting the Tories to the sword in recent elections. As was the left in France uniting to do very well in their elections Sunday 

Aye, it’s just the centrists. No push back from the left. They’re just sitting there, all pure, waiting to be liked by the centrists. A funny bunch indeed. 

19 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Bernie, too. He was one of the most popular politicians in the country and unequivocal in his support for union action. Motherfucker was turning up at strikes all the time.

1 minute ago, Duff Man said:

Bernie, too. He was one of the most popular politicians in the country and unequivocal in his support for union action. Motherfucker was turning up at strikes all the time.

Would Bernie, Melenchon, Drakeford be welcomed into the current English shadow cabinet? 

12 hours ago, Duff Man said:

I've quite enjoyed Mick Lynch's media appearances, taking absolutely no shit at all from the hacks.

Should have his own thread. Should have his own show.

Spent yesterday cooking MCs like a pound of bacon.

He'll be an anti semite by the end of the week.

• Upvote 1

Lucy Powell doing the rounds for Labour this morning with predictable results, excruciating. Emily Thornbury yesterday, first question from Channel 4 news, 'hello Emily has Keir Starmer gone on a witness protection programme?'

This imo is the line the Labour leader should be pushing,

7 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Lucy Powell doing the rounds for Labour this morning with predictable results, excruciating. Emily Thornbury yesterday, first question from Channel 4 news, 'hello Emily has Keir Starmer gone on a witness protection programme?'

This imo is the line the Labour leader should be pushing,

Immediately opens you up to the ‘don’t you consider [X] to be a decent wage?’ question. 

2 hours ago, Creator Supreme said:

I love the way they've circled and named them like being on the picket line is something to be ashamed of, they can hold their heads high this morning!

Even for the mail,that is truly jaw dropping. 

As if protesting about better pay is something to be ashamed of.

Poisonous fucking rag.

I bet you will find fuck all in there about the Tories ensuring those at the top get Even richer.

And if that guardian story is true starmer can fuck off aswell. 

Labour mps should have the right to support striking workers.

54 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Immediately opens you up to the ‘don’t you consider [X] to be a decent wage?’ question. 

Shouldn't be too difficult to say something like "since the Tories came to power, real wages have shrunk on average by x% - a decent wage would be one that claws some of that back".

Just now, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Shouldn't be too difficult to say something like "since the Tories came to power, real wages have shrunk on average by x% - a decent wage would be one that claws some of that back".

It shouldn't, but it doesn't answer the actual question. You then get back 'yes, they have, but as some of the best paid... yadda yadda... why are these putting the lower paid at an inconv... yaaadddaaa'. It's a spiral downward when you've got double the amount of people against the strikes than for them. That is if you want their votes. I'm not saying it's the morally right thing, I'm saying I agree with Lynch when he said Labour are triangulating right now. They are, they absolutely are, and it sucks. Might it be the right way to do it in the end so that the gets in power and can actually do something about situations like this rather than just say the right thing and let them happen? Maybe, I think it's a hard call.