You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

19 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Yep.

The respectful ones are still the most liked. I saw one tasteless, insulting one that had 2 likes.

The ratio of decent to shitty on Ed Daveys tweet (where he didn't even say the mans name) is considerably lower despite there only being 4 replies. I'm sure there is no disingenuous agenda at play here, none whatsoever. Certain of it. 

50 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I dunno. I've said a few times that IMO there's a fine balancing act when it comes to living it large while other people struggle, if you push it too far with the let them eat cake stuff you end up with guillotines, that's why our Earls and Dukes wander around in Barbour jackets pretending to be broke, rather than wearing fur coats and gems as they parade down the street in full view. They keep their excesses largely obscured and try to keep you placated that one day it could be you if you play the game. 

These clowns though, they're too thick and brazen to keep the facade up. They're dancing at conferences and embracing corruption in full view of everyone while shelves are empty, boilers are being turned off and people are smacking each other on forecourts. It's doable when you're only pulverizing the voiceless, like people on benefits, but it's spreading to the man in the street.

That stuff seeps in, drip drip. It will blow big time. 

People are going to have to be prepared to die for things to change. We have a government that is trying to enact laws to stop people from having the right to peacefully protest. They are trying to strip the rights of whistleblowers exposing corruption. This country is bankrupt (financial crisis, furlough). We own nothing. Our bus companies are owned by the Germans. Our car companies by the Indians. Even our toll booths are owned by the French government.

We held up China as the shining light of what capitalism can achieve. And now we're ripping down 5g towers and telling everyone to throw their Huawei phones in the bin because the Chinese Government has backdoors into all our data. They sold us out. But this isn't a recent phenomenon. It's been happening for decades.

• Upvote 5

13 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Yep.

The respectful ones are still the most liked. I saw one tasteless, insulting one that had 2 likes.

I don't know what bizarro version of Twitter you are seeing. This doesn't have to become a pissing contest, but these are some of the top replies when I look at it (and yes, there are a few which aren't horrible too)

https://twitter.com/shinyandnew70/status/1446430037859766272

https://twitter.com/nohand1/status/1446433961522126850

https://twitter.com/tr0tSkiii/status/1446475989966594056

https://twitter.com/a_nitak/status/1446452054541602816

https://twitter.com/diggerjimmy/status/1446440955826081793

https://twitter.com/titianted/status/1446454610516926466

etc

5 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I don't know what bizarro version of Twitter you are seeing. This doesn't have to become a pissing contest, but these are some of the top replies when I look at it (and yes, there are a few which aren't horrible too)

https://twitter.com/shinyandnew70/status/1446430037859766272

https://twitter.com/nohand1/status/1446433961522126850

https://twitter.com/tr0tSkiii/status/1446475989966594056

https://twitter.com/a_nitak/status/1446452054541602816

https://twitter.com/diggerjimmy/status/1446440955826081793

https://twitter.com/titianted/status/1446454610516926466

etc

The most liked ones there have got 57, 30 and 27 likes.

The respectful, decent ones (which far outnumber them) have upwards of 150 likes.

"Bizarro version" my hoop.

7 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

The most liked ones there have got 57, 30 and 27 likes.

So, considerably more than the one with 2 likes that you saw.

Probably something to do with Twitter algorithms which I've alluded to before.

12 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

So, considerably more than the one with 2 likes that you saw.

Probably something to do with Twitter algorithms which I've alluded to before.

And considerably fewer than the many, many respectful and polite responses.

But, yeah, algorithms. Check your settings, because you seem to have selected "only show replies that will spark outrage".

20 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

But, yeah, algorithms. Check your settings, because you seem to have selected "only show replies that will spark outrage".

I have no control over how Twitter shows me stuff.

This is the precise order in which replies appear under Starmer's Tweet for me, right now:

- Idiotic one about how Labour shouldn't stand in the by-election (3 likes)

- Horrible one about how you should check if someone is decent before eulogising them (36 likes) with his follow-up about not shedding tears for "monsters" (30 likes); this previously appeared first for me
- Mean, sarcastic one about how Keir Starmer's account is working after all, he was beginning to wonder (16 likes)
- Nice one bemoaning unpleasant point-scoring (28 likes)
- Another nasty one about checking out someone's record before saying they are decent (27 likes)
- Insipid one lamenting the billions spent and yet no cure (5 likes)
- "Well said. RIP." (4 likes)
- One suggesting that Starmer should have sent condolences privately rather than publicly (3 likes)
- Horrible one allegedly quoting Boris Johnson, "never mind cancer outcomes" (57 likes)
- Nice one expressing condolences (91 likes)
- Heavily ratioed one endorsing Starmer and bigging up the progressive alliance (10 likes)
- Horrible one quoting Brokenshire's voting record on benefits (59 likes)
- 13th in the list for me is the nice one with 187 likes

- This is followed by four more nice ones (31, 36, 72, 28 likes)

- Another idiot saying not to stand in the by-election (0 likes)

- A guy called "Tories = Scum" questioning the "decent man" comment and quoting (again) his voting record (3 likes)
- A nice one (4 likes)
- Another "decent?" comment with the voting record again (3 likes)

Just now, Strontium Dog™ said:

This is the precise order in which replies appear under Starmer's Tweet for me, right now:

- Horrible one about how you should check if someone is decent before eulogising them (36 likes) with his follow-up about not shedding tears for "monsters" (30 likes); this previously appeared first for me
- Mean, sarcastic one about how Keir Starmer's account is working after all, he was beginning to wonder (16 likes)
- Another nasty one about checking out someone's record before saying they are decent (27 likes)
- One suggesting that Starmer should have sent condolences privately rather than publicly (3 likes)
- Horrible one allegedly quoting Boris Johnson, "never mind cancer outcomes" (57 likes)
- Heavily ratioed one endorsing Starmer and bigging up the progressive alliance (10 likes)

- This is followed by four more nice ones (31,36, 72, 28 likes)

- A guy called "Tories = Scum" questioning the "decent man" comment and quoting (again) his voting record

Could you not have just screenshotted? 

22 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I think you are being a hit naive if you don’t think they have something to do with what we see on platforms such as Twitter.

There’s a recent documentary that tells you all about it. 

https://www.netflix.com/gb/title/81254224?s=i&trkid=13747225&vlang=en&clip=81275293

6 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Not on my phone, no. Also it would have taken even more of my precious time. I already spent my entire 20 minute break doing this.

Should have just played snake! 

*Heads off to app store to see if they've got a version

26 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

- This is followed by four more nice ones (31, 36, 72, 28 likes)

- A guy called "Tories = Scum" questioning the "decent man" comment and quoting (again) his voting record (3 likes)
- A nice one (4 likes)
- Another "decent?" comment with the voting record again (3 likes)

Well, that's weird. Mine (and Stig's, apparently) are coming up overwhelmingly decent and respectful. I'd also hazard a guess that the people I follow tend to be further left than the ones you follow; my algorithms are showing Lefties as being predominantly decent people (which shouldn't be surprising, as left-wing politics are founded on compassion and treating people as people).

27 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

I think you are being a hit naive if you don’t think they have something to do with what we see on platforms such as Twitter.

I never doubted it. Social media are founded on algorithms which have the effect of creating bubbles and echo chambers.

43 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Well, that's weird. Mine (and Stig's, apparently) are coming up overwhelmingly decent and respectful. I'd also hazard a guess that the people I follow tend to be further left than the ones you follow; my algorithms are showing Lefties as being predominantly decent people (which shouldn't be surprising, as left-wing politics are founded on compassion and treating people as people).

Set up a new account and block out all the stuff you follow now and eve how different it is. All I get now is stuff from old posters on here and music stuff. I also tell them everything I don’t like is offensive and harmful. 

Which has led me now get a lot of Indian/Pakistan Politics.

And fucking K-Pop! 

1 minute ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

And fucking K-Pop! 

That shit ruined twitter for me. I still browse but without an account. They just hijack every trend with videos of some cunts dancing on stage. It's utter shite the cheeky bastards 

• Upvote 1