You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

27 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

I think this is real “angels dancing on the head of a pin” obscurantism. She’s been threatened with violence on social media numerous times for daring to dissent from the orthodoxy on trans issues. Starmer had the chance to condone it and he threw her to the baying mob instead by saying she “shouldn’t have said it”. This is indisputable.  

It's indisputable that supporters of trans rights also routinely get threatened with violence on Twitter. And that trans people often get assaulted in real life, just for being who they are. The "baying mob" thinks that this is a bad thing.

It's very, very disputable to claim that Duffield can't go to Conference on security grounds. Even Duffield doesn't claim that.

23 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

No. She. Isn't.

Willard is misrepresenting what Duffield said about her decision not to go to Conference.

Yeah you’re right, that’s the issue here, me misrepresenting why a female mp doesn’t feel she can attend her own party conference. Meanwhile the abuse goes on and the dissenting voices get shouted down. Duffirkd has said that the constant abuse makes her nervous and tones down her opinions. 

1 hour ago, skend04 said:

Captain Willard is Colonel Kurtz isn't he?

Hadn't he already been booted by Dave?

He’s never been booted. He was going to leave because somebody got hold of his personal number and rang his address, but was persuaded to stick around.

5 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

Yeah you’re right, that’s the issue here, me misrepresenting why a female mp doesn’t feel she can attend her own party conference. Meanwhile the abuse goes on and the dissenting voices get shouted down. Duffirkd has said that the constant abuse makes her nervous and tones down her opinions. 

It's the issue of discussion on a discussion forum: you said something false; I pointed out that it was false.

The toxicity on all sides of the trans debate is a separate and much bigger issue.

10 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

What threats? 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.kentonline.co.uk/canterbury/news/amp/ive-received-threats-but-will-not-be-silenced-235405/

Here she talks about being terrified by death threats. After Jo Cox there has got to be consensus that all threats (including Tory dick heads making bomb jokes) should be universally condemned not explained away with nuance. 

24 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.kentonline.co.uk/canterbury/news/amp/ive-received-threats-but-will-not-be-silenced-235405/

Here she talks about being terrified by death threats. After Jo Cox there has got to be consensus that all threats (including Tory dick heads making bomb jokes) should be universally condemned not explained away with nuance. 

Nobody is trying to nuance away any threats. I'm always going to condemn threats of violence and the people who make them; that doesn't mean that false claims like the one you made should go unchallenged.

24 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

From twats on Twitter. As far as we know, none from Labour Party members.

That whole site needs taking down. I assume it was "left twitter" and they were all burning copies of the tanakh while typing? 

22 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

"It will be about them as a woman, or their appearance, threats of violence or words to the effect that we should shut our mouths, or something that's got literally nothing to do with the policy they're tweeting about. Men do not get that in the same way."

Of course these threats need taking seriously though. Some right cunts out there. 

1 hour ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

No. She. Isn't.

Willard is misrepresenting what Duffield said about her decision not to go to Conference.

You are the one that said it was overstated.

If someone is fearful of a group when attending work, then it becomes a security issue. 

2 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

OK. Now it's the same bit that I quoted, where she says she doesn't think people would attack her.

The point is that it's a massive overstatement (at best) to say she "can't attend Conference on security grounds".

1 hour ago, skend04 said:

Labour party members are going to murder Duffield?

No wonder she won't turn up to the conference then. Murderous anti-Semites!

Missing the point. 

3 hours ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

I don’t believe it is.

Jo Cox was murdered for having a difference of opinion, and also received online threats. 

But Duffield is the one making a massive overstatement about her own feelings, on her safety within her own party.

There was again a young woman murdered 5 minutes from her house recently. 150 (iirc) women murdered by men alone so far this year. How Duffield is overstating it is what I’d like to know. 

A journalist was assaulted in a Labour fringe meeting by someone who had been expelled from the Labour Party. But apparently it's unthinkable that a Labour MP could be at risk of violence.

1 hour ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

You are the one that said it was overstated.

If someone is fearful of a group when attending work, then it becomes a security issue. 

Missing the point. 

Duffield never said she can't go on security grounds; Willard said that.

I don't think it's right to misrepresent what she said.

21 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

A journalist was assaulted in a Labour fringe meeting by someone who had been expelled from the Labour Party. But apparently it's unthinkable that a Labour MP could be at risk of violence.

Again, I'll let Rosie Duffield make the call on whether she felt there was a risk of violence.

29 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Who has said that? Anyone? Or absolutely no-one? 

14 minutes ago, Stickman said:

Good to see that not everyone is ignoring this atrocity. Obviously we know what slander is coming but at least they aren't scared of doing the decent thing instead of burying their heads in the sand. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Who has said that? Anyone? Or absolutely no-one? 

An LBC journo turned up at a Jewish Voice for Labour meeting and started filming.  Someone (not one of the organisers)  took the hump, grabbed his phone off him and bundled him out. JVL have issued an apology.