You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

3 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Calling it radical makes people think it is. 

It was a terrible error from Corbyn's team, for me. 

It should have been pointed out how fucking normal it was all over Europe. That "radical" is what the other party was putting forward. 

I think the latter point was made by McDonnell , Gardiner etc. but they were hardly working with a compliant press.

Just now, sir roger said:

I think the latter point was made by McDonnell , Gardiner etc. but they were hardly working with a compliant press.

Well, no, of course. 

But then they weren't without their own gaffs. The "little red book" moment, for example. Ammunition for months. 

It's a given that the press are hateful cunts. Owned by half a dozen tax dodging billionaires and a state broadcast with Stockholm Syndrome. It's why the image, the message, etc has to be flawless because errors can't be brushed under the carpet like they can from the other side. 

For every youngster attracted by "radical" two estate agents in Worcester were put off by it. 

Mind you, now none of the three are interested. 

7 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I just had to check Mandelson's entry on Wikipedia. Apparently, his dad was Jewish, but there's no mention of Mandelson himself being raised in any particular faith or expressing any religious belief as an adult. (He keeps his private life private, which is fair enough.)

That cartoon doesn't depict him as just "a rat": it shows him as the rat in Ratatouille, who controls the star of the show. Mandelson's New Labour career was all about influencing things behind the scenes, while Blair & Brown were leaders, and now Starmer has invited him back to do it again.

To get from the obvious point of that cartoon to an accusation of racism takes a giant leap beyond credibility. Fortunately, Stronts is the kind of athlete who is up to that challenge.

Just incredible stuff.

Imagine if someone depicted a black fella as a chimpanzee. We wouldn't even be having this "debate".

Capitalism has had its day. Its the workers that hold the power, always have, a lot just didn't realise it. From the NHS and key workers during Covid to veg pickers and lorry drivers, society can't function without them.

Wake up call, an ever progressing unravelling truth, smaking the elite right between the eyes.

6 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Capitalism has had its day. Its the workers that hold the power, always have, a lot just didn't realise it. From the NHS and key workers during Covid to veg pickers and lorry drivers, society can't function without them.

Wake up call, an ever progressing unravelling truth, smaking the elite right between the eyes.

I wish I could believe that, but the death-knell of Capitalism has been ringing since the mid-19th century and the bastard thing hasn't died yet.

3 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Just incredible stuff.

Imagine if someone depicted a black fella as a chimpanzee. We wouldn't even be having this "debate".

How is that comparable? That post alone could be seen to be racist. 

Do you think the Lib Dems are Anti-Semitic for voting for a ban on trade with illegal Israeli settlements? 

14 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Do you think the Lib Dems are Anti-Semitic for voting for a ban on trade with illegal Israeli settlements? 

We seem to be at the stage where if you say anything remotely derogatory about someone who was once on nodding terms with a Jewish person,you are a massive racist.

Obviously there are no more important issues at hand.

1 minute ago, Arniepie said:

We seem to be at the stage where if you say anything remotely derogatory about someone who was once on nodding terms with a Jewish person,you are a massive racist.

Obviously there are no more important issues at hand.

Comparing depicting someone as a rat to depicting a black person as a chimpanzee are worlds apart. 

34 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Only if you're on smack.

How is it comparable? It's as comparable as it's possible for anything to be comparable. Jews as rats is a racist trope. Blacks as monkeys and chimps is a racist trope. They're exactly the same thing.

4 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Only if you're on smack.

How is it comparable? It's as comparable as it's possible for anything to be comparable. Jews as rats is a racist trope. Blacks as monkeys and chimps is a racist trope. They're exactly the same thing.

They're the chalkiest chalk and the cheesiest cheese.

10 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Only if you're on smack.

Ok. 

And the second question? 

4 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Oh, that was a serious question?

Were you expecting me to say that the Lib Dems were antisemitic or something?

I was expecting an answer to a yes or no question 

I appreciate with you thats ridiculous to expect when it raises an inconvenience to you 

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I was expecting an answer to a yes or no question 

I appreciate with you thats almost impossible 

No, I don't think the Lib Dems are antisemitic. Obviously.

I apologise to the rainforests for the environmental impact of this needless message.