You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

2 minutes ago, Numero said:

He moved a couple of people around, man. This is silly. Waiting a couple of weeks would have got the same reaction. It’s a storm in a teacup. Like I say, it’s not that he did it a few days before that’s the issue, it’s that it’s ineffective and ultimately will need to be changed again several times. Shitty shadow cabinet, not timing, that’s the crime IMO. 

It may have got the same reaction perhaps, I disagree, but would not have knocked today's major story of the break up of the Union thanks to the Tories down the pecking order.

Do you think Labour should be the story today, or Scottish Independence on Johnson's watch? 

The latter, much bigger story (and hugely damaging to the Tories) has been pushed down the headlines to 3rd, 4th, 5th on the major outlets - all of them with Labour in-fighting taking up every slot above.

Scotland would have been the top headline news for days, now it won't be.

Suggesting that this isn't a massive own goal doesn't make it so.

2 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Numero, it would be healthy for everyone if you just stopped mentioning Corbyn, it’s a bit embarrassing mate.

No thanks. I’ll mention him when I think it’s relevant to what I’m saying, which in this case was about his followers on Twitter. Nothing to do with him. No need to rush to his defence. He’s a big boy. 

6 minutes ago, Moo said:

It may have got the same reaction perhaps, I disagree, but would not have knocked today's major story of the break up of the Union thanks to the Tories down the pecking order.

Do you think Labour should be the story today, or Scottish Independence on Johnson's watch? 

The latter, much bigger story (and hugely damaging to the Tories) has been pushed down the headlines to 3rd, 4th, 5th on the major outlets - all of them with Labour in-fighting taking up every slot above.

Scotland would have been the top headline news for days, now it won't be.

Suggesting that this isn't a massive own goal doesn't make it so.

The own goal is that it’s shit, nothing to do with timing. This ‘story down the peaking order’ thing is quite hilarious. New, at least. 

6 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Yeah you're probably right. His tweet last night defending Raynor has made me suspicious he may be on manoeuvres.

He may well be, Gnash. He may well be. Seems a nice enough fella, tried winning the leadership off the back of a national care service for old people, and there’s much worse proposals to base an election on, but he’s not got the grit I don’t think. 

6 minutes ago, Numero said:

The own goal is that it’s shit, nothing to do with timing. This ‘story down the peaking order’ thing is quite hilarious. New, at least. 

Why is it hilarious? Every story above SNP/Independence/Johnson is about Labour in-fighting/manoeuvres.  Clearly Labour have knocked that story off the top of the headlines, why is that hilarious?

Starmer deffo sacked her then shit himself when he saw the fallout. As I said above, it's borderline Aspergers.

What makes him good at law makes him bad at populism, everything in the law is black and white, right and wrong because there's rules and a referee. 

Modern politics is kind of the opposite, the rules change daily and perception is everything. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

Here you go, I bet you didn't believe me, welcome to the new boss, god save the king and all that...I hope he does well, fresh start an all that..

I just hope he unites the party, I'm sure he will.

12 minutes ago, Numero said:

No thanks. I’ll mention him when I think it’s relevant to what I’m saying, which in this case was about his followers on Twitter. Nothing to do with him. No need to rush to his defence. He’s a big boy. 

Haha thanks for proving the point ya big mentalist.

3 minutes ago, Moo said:

Why is it hilarious? Every story above SNP/Independence/Johnson is about Labour in-fighting/manoeuvres.  Clearly Labour have knocked that story off the top of the headlines, why is that hilarious?

It’s the criticism that is hilarious. That a temporary headline position should be the primary factor in deciding what to say today, considering it was something that was going on the last few days within Labour. It’s so opportunistic that criticism. 

Anyway, I suspect this is the beginning of the end for Starmer. Who is up next to knock down? Which tribe will they be from; the sooner people know whether to criticise everything mindlessly or defend everything mindlessly the easier it’ll be on the Tories. 

6 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Starmer deffo sacked her then shit himself when he saw the fallout. As I said above, it's borderline Aspergers.

What makes him good at law makes him bad at populism, everything in the law is black and white, right and wrong because there's rules and a referee. 

Modern politics is kind of the opposite, the rules change daily and perception is everything. 

Everything in the law is black and white?  Really? 

Just now, Brownie said:

Haha thanks for proving the point ya big mentalist.

Come on, mate. I’ve mentioned Brown more times than Corbyn. It’s just strange to me that it wasn’t embarrassing that I mentioned him. Or Blair. Or Mandleson. It’s only Corbyn that’s the issue. 

2 minutes ago, Numero said:

Come on, mate. I’ve mentioned Brown more times than Corbyn. It’s just strange to me that it wasn’t embarrassing that I mentioned him. Or Blair. Or Mandleson. It’s only Corbyn that’s the issue. 

Mate honestly, I say this as someone who has no beef with you at all. As you said yourself, we probably have very similar political beliefs etc.

But you have continually made the mistake of thinking that people care about one personality. It’s got fuck all to do with a single person mate, honestly. Those on the left care about what their party is all about.

The guy you keep mentioning isn’t relevant any more. I have hardly seen anyone mention the guys name but you just keep banging on about him.

It’s not healthy. For anyone.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Brownie said:

Mate honestly, I say this as someone who has no beef with you at all. As you said yourself, we probably have very similar political beliefs etc.

But you have continually made the mistake of thinking that people care about one personality. It’s got fuck all to do with a single person mate, honestly. Those on the left care about what their party is all about.

The guy you keep mentioning isn’t relevant any more. I have hardly seen anyone mention the guys name but you just keep banging on about him.

It’s not healthy. For anyone.

I mentioned the Corbyn fanatics on Twitter. Not Corbyn. They exist and they’re in a frenzy. I was referencing them because it was relevant to the point I was making. That’s all. 

Just now, Jennings said:

Politics should be about policies more than personalities.  There were some good, wholesome policies in the last Labour manifesto. Rebadge, amplify and get behind them. Stop in the infight.

I think when it comes to the membership, it is all about policies. If it was about personality then neither of the last two leaders would have been elected. Let’s face it, the pair of them are about as charismatic as Wayne Rooney.

10 hours ago, Numero said:

What were these terrible lines? Do we just take it as a fact they were terrible because Owen Jones said a source said they were terrible? I mean, this entire thing is a cluster fuck. It's a lot of 'quick, let's overreact before we lose our opportunity' stuff on Twitter at the moment. 

Has political discourse in the UK every been in a worse state? I could write a basic program that spits out all of this nonsense. You know how people are going to reply based on a set of known variables. They're reduced to unthinking drones, drip-fed by a twitter collective consciousness. It's actually quite disturbing. 

This. 

Politics used to be extreme slow-burn but in the explosion of keyboard punditry it's now unrecognisable and incoherent.

Twitter seems to have a habit of turning anything it touches into shit.  Politics was never meant to meet Twitter.  

58 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Who was it that kept predicting the Tories falling apart?  

It seems to be in Labour it’s not enough to disagree with the Tories and want to gain power, you need to have to despise them and want them crushed.  All the while this dumb arguing is strengthening them and making them virtually untouchable. 

I’ve been listening to stories about a coalition of the LDs Labour and Greens to take on the Tories, Jesus. Imagine those negotiations. 

The Tories have already fallen apart, they're united around Boris Johnson, not conservatism.  It's all fine as long as he stays, but when he goes there will be a very odd shaped hole to fill, and probably plenty more stories to come from Cummings.  By the way, I'll have money on Cummings getting on-board with Labour or Libs very soon.