You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keir Starmer

rb14

Just now, Bjornebye said:

To be fair I doubt anybody can honestly say Corbyn is homophobic and mean it. Even our ‘small minds’ can see that a man who has spent most of his life campaigning for human rights isn’t homophobic. 

Don't underestimate the lengths the usual suspects will go to to smear him.

https://www.thejc.com/news/uk/jeremy-corbyn-condemned-for-meeting-anti-lgbt-charedi-activist-shraga-stern-1.486579

Isnt part of being a politician meeting with different people of all walks of life, beliefs and cultures and even having to have dialogue with people you are politically and ideologically opposed too. I'm not involved with politics but I have friends and family who have views I think are utter bullshit and they think the same of my views, doesnt mean we don't have other common ground or I abandon them for my own little echo chamber. How many more people must the average politician or famous person interact with on a daily basis. If you vet every single person you meet and only agree to see those with the exact same principles as you then how do you build bridges, how do you achieve anything. 

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Isnt part of being a politician meeting with different people of all walks of life, beliefs and cultures and even having to have dialogue with people you are politically and ideologically opposed too.

You'd think so, wouldn't you.

I do wonder if Starmer would have received this criticism if he'd visited a Catholic church rather than an African one, given they're every bit as opposed to gay rights.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

You're making a big assumption about who is "straight" on here. 

Well, considering I have been posting on here for 16 years, and looking at who has been making comment, I'd say I had a good idea who is and isn't (Not that it matters in any way shape or form)

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Don't underestimate the lengths the usual suspects will go to to smear him.

https://www.thejc.com/news/uk/jeremy-corbyn-condemned-for-meeting-anti-lgbt-charedi-activist-shraga-stern-1.486579

I read that article earlier today. I actually think it is a brilliant read, I give credit to how bias they are and how they are able to happily twist anything to suit their agenda.

This is all incredibly silly bullshit (he says, before joining in), but the left led the way in the fight for gay rights and opposition to section 28 in the 80s, and took a lot of flack for doing so - McDonnell, for example, took a least one brick through the window for his troubles. Now have a guess what the sensible and pragmatic leadership were doing at the same time.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Wasn’t it LGBT Labour who criticised him? I think that’s the point. 

Yep and I'm saying it's bollocks that they have done so. I'm all for LBGT rights. Him visiting a church to thank them for their superb community work should be the headline. 

9 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Yep and I'm saying it's bollocks that they have done so. I'm all for LBGT rights. Him visiting a church to thank them for their superb community work should be the headline. 

I think the point Stronts was making is that they’ve been quiet when it’s their pal taking dodgy company. 

Although I do agree with you that all the churches are pretty shite on this subject. 

18 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

This is all incredibly silly bullshit (he says, before joining in), but the left led the way in the fight for gay rights and opposition to section 28 in the 80s, and took a lot of flack for doing so - McDonnell, for example, took a least one brick through the window for his troubles. Now have a guess what the sensible and pragmatic leadership were doing at the same time.

I heard a couple were threatened with having back doors smashed in. 

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Rico1304 said:

I forgot, jokes are ok unless it’s the thing you don’t like people joking about.  I’ll try to remember for the future.  

Yeah you keep making this point, too, ad fucking nauseam, and it's painfully, painfully stupid.

Just now, Rico1304 said:

You said people had their windows broken for standing up for gay rights, I said some were threatened with having their back doors smashed in.  I mean it’s all there.  

Cool, so who's threatening to bum left wingers, and why are they threatening to bum them?

Just now, Duff Man said:

Cool, so who's threatening to bum left wingers, and why are they threatening to bum them?

Jesus. It wasn’t Perrier Award winning standard I’ll grant you but you could just say you jumped in and misread it and thought I was being anti-gay. 

49 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

Well, Starmer was legal officer for Liberty when Section 28 was brought in. The same Liberty who were a major part of the successful campaign to get Section 28 repealed.